Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

530 Exhaust Valve Lifter

Old 03-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hearing the ticking noise now. Seems to occur with frequent short trips around town. Goes away during long road trips.

Dearler quoted $1,600 for this repair. Seems high, and wondering if anyone has experience with this repair's cost?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

No warranty on the car?

If not, I would ask for a good will repair since this is a known issue with N52 engines. If they are resistant speak to the service manager and call BMW NA.

$1,600 is probably about right. With labor being $135.00 an hour in my area, it doesn't take long to go North of $1,000 for any little repair at the stealers.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Contributors

I have 119,000 miles so clearly off warranty, but I'll ask nice and see what they say. thx
Old 03-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the suggestion!! My dealer just got back to me and BMW has agreed to cover the replacement of the exhaust value lifters. I am amazed, and of course very pleased. This will help as I spend some money on preventative items:

Replace altenator
Replace water pump
Replace belt
Sway bars and other suspension points examined and replaced if worn
Examine and possibly replace motor mounts
All fluids replaced

The first 120,000 miles have been trouble free, and I want to keep it running well. Any other suggestions for work to be performed would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AP Sales
Thanks for the suggestion!! My dealer just got back to me and BMW has agreed to cover the replacement of the exhaust value lifters. I am amazed, and of course very pleased. This will help as I spend some money on preventative items:

Replace altenator
Replace water pump
Replace belt
Sway bars and other suspension points examined and replaced if worn
Examine and possibly replace motor mounts
All fluids replaced

The first 120,000 miles have been trouble free, and I want to keep it running well. Any other suggestions for work to be performed would be appreciated.
Excellent! Now with all of that preventative maintenance, you should go strong for a nice long time.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Just got the car back. My dealer replaced the exhaust valve lifters (BMW picked up the tab - thanks BMW!!) and the water pump. The alternator showed plenty of life left. Somehow they were able to examine the alternator and on a scale of 1 to 10, it was at 9. So no need to replace. All the suspension rubber is still in good shape. They checked the condition of the rear differential oil and found that to be fine as well.

My dealer is Vern Eide in Sioux Falls, SD. The SA called around to some other dealers in the region to see if any other parts should be considered for replacement. The only thing they discovered is that a very few other 530s have had to have fuel pumps fail, but in all cases the owners had used ethanol and I always pump premium.

Bottom line is Vern Eide could have replaced several additional parts and pieces, as I had given them the OK to do, but did not because there was no need. The term "stealer" definitely does not apply to Vern Eide!

I also had them repair a couple of door dings and paint scratches.

120,000 on the odometer, and the car is in great shape and ready roll another xx,xxx miles.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Just got the car back. My dealer replaced the exhaust valve lifters (BMW picked up the tab - thanks BMW!!) and the water pump. The alternator showed plenty of life left. Somehow they were able to examine the alternator and on a scale of 1 to 10, it was at 9. So no need to replace. All the suspension rubber is still in good shape. They checked the condition of the rear differential oil and found that to be fine as well.

My dealer is Vern Eide in Sioux Falls, SD. The SA called around to some other dealers in the region to see if any other parts should be considered for replacement. The only thing they discovered is that a very few other 530s have had to have fuel pumps fail, but in all cases the owners had used ethanol and I always pump premium.

Bottom line is Vern Eide could have replaced several additional parts and pieces, as I had given them the OK to do, but did not because there was no need. The term "stealer" definitely does not apply to Vern Eide!

120,000 on the odometer, and the car is in great shape and ready roll another xx,xxx miles.

Wow, great service for a dealer - we sure could use a dealer like that here in SoCal. The last one didn't even tighten my front wheel bolts correctly (EPIC FAIL!!!!!)
Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

That's great news!!! Now that it's warmer my lifter noise has subsided. Not sure how my dealer will work with me if it's not noisy when
they look at it. I've got 23k miles left on my CPO so I have some time to maneuver.
Sounds like your bimmer has gotten it's second wind! Keep motoring
Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

That's great news. Glad it all worked out. Also, it bodes well for us 530 owners that you had 120,000 relatively trouble free miles thus far. I hope I have the same experience as the car gets higher in mileage.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Wow, great service for a dealer - we sure could use a dealer like that here in SoCal. The last one didn't even tighten my front wheel bolts correctly (EPIC FAIL!!!!!)
Jesus...

That could have been disastrous. I would have slapped a bitch up in that dealership

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 530 Exhaust Valve Lifter