Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

2007 550i CPO Process

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 07 550i CPO with 27k miles about a week ago. My question is about what is done when a BMW is classified as CPO? When I took delivery of the car there were 2 things wrong that I knew from the dealer. The remote key's, one sort of worked, the other was brand new as the previous owner lost it, and I was told both would work after they charged a few hours. It never started working and the one that did was spotty at best, so I checked out as much as I could on the car that I didn't do before I bought it. 2nd thing was the passenger seat leg support motor didn't work and the seat extender just stayed out and didn't retract. So I knew those would need to be fixed and was planning on bringing it in. After a couple days of driving I noticed that the drivers side window made a noise when going down, and the sunroof sounded noisy like it had a bad seal or something at highway speeds. So I brought it in to the dealer and had them check it out.

The new remote, didn't work cause they didn't put a battery in it and didn't register it in Idrive for comfort access replacing the lost key.
The spotty remote was due to the antenna and amplifier system being faulty, so they replaced that.
The window had a bad motor/drive unit, they replaced that.
The sunroof had a bad seal and needed to have the glass adjusted.

All fixed within a day, no big deal, my main concern is if there was some other stuff like that that was missed in the CPO? How detailed do they get with the process? I am under factory warranty for another year or 50k and then its CPO warranty after that. I might purchase an extension b4 the factory runs out, but am wondering if I should take it somewhere else and have it checked out?

Everything else seems perfect and its a great ride, very happy with it so far and the issues were minor and taken care of promptly, I just don't want to miss anything that needs work that they might have missed?

Thanks! Andy
Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Contributors

Educated consumers do their homework FIRST

http://www.bmwusa.co...po/default.aspx
Attached Files
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

a lot of dealers dont nitpick a car as much as you'd think.
some just take the trade-in or lease return, clean it up, and put it for sale.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ya when I got my car I got that checklist that luigi524td posted... it doesnt check "everything" and sometimes I dont think they physically check it... they just mark it off.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Ya when I got my car I got that checklist that luigi524td posted... it doesnt check "everything" and sometimes I dont think they physically check it... they just mark it off.
Let me jump in and share what I thought was pretty funny/interesting regarding my recent 2007 550i CPO purchase. So, I am at the dealer a few weeks ago and we are discussing what "checks" the car had to pass to be CPO and the sales guy says "it is required to have two working keys, etc, etc"...and then I bought it and he says "ya know, it doesn't have two keys BUT we will get you a second one ASAP". Hmmmmmm, passed CPO but only had a single key? Well, I am VERY happy but I agree - do your homework. Technically is should never have passed, IMHO.

Regards,
DaveR
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
a lot of dealers dont nitpick a car as much as you'd think.
some just take the trade-in or lease return, clean it up, and put it for sale.
I think BMWNA takes its certification program seriously. Sloppy work warrants a visit with the dealer GM at the very least! Maybe even a talk with the BMWNA Regional Rep.

Sloppy dealer behavior erodes the brand and we don't pay top dollar for third-rate work.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I think BMWNA takes its certification program seriously. Sloppy work warrants a visit with the dealer GM at the very least! Maybe even a talk with the BMWNA Regional Rep.

Sloppy dealer behavior erodes the brand and we don't pay top dollar for third-rate work.
I totally agree!!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM
Members

Funny, my CPO 07 550i was also missing the second key, wish that had been the only issue. Lost faith in CPO process. Not saying I won't buy another CPO car but I will be just as likely to buy a clean car that passes a PPI and I can get an aftermarket warrantee for. Probably breakeven when you factor in the CPO premium.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Members

Yea, I might go back and at least talk to them about it. Thanks for the replies all!