Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

2005 530i: Lease now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, first of all I want to say as a lurker on this board I have found the discussions here very informative and engaging.

I have the itch to get a BMW sports sedan. I am in the US (New Jersey). I am not so much in a rush, but the lease deals I have been offered for a '05 530i have been very competitive.

For example:
Premium Package
Cold Weather
Sirius
Navigation
Premium Sound
Rear folding seats/ski bag
Automatic

for 655/mo, 1500 inception fees. ( $54,590 MSRP, $51,900 cap cost)

I have had other sales offers in the same price range +/- some options.

I am sure they are being flexible with the price due to the new '05/'06 5-series changes that are coming out.

Does anyone have any insight on where these prices might go? I am not in a terrible rush and I would feel bad if I took delivery on one only to see the newer '05 models (or '06s) going for the same price. I have also inquired about European Delivery, which I would think would push me towards the '05 if they have any left over there because I understand the pricing on those is very competitive (one quote for ED was 610 for the same car configured as above PLUS 20-way comfort seats).

FYI I am leasing for tax purposes but with the money factors so low (.000125, or 3%) it is sort of a win-win, as I can buy out the car later assuming the residual is honest.

Thanks!
ed
Old 01-19-2005, 05:42 AM
Contributors

welcome doctors4bob

since you said you are not in a terrible rush, i would definitley WAIT for the new engines in the spring. The 530i is getting a brand new 3.0 that makes ~258bhp, is lighter and more fuel efficient. In the US it is going to be as a MY06 available in the april-may time frame... good luck
Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by m630' date='Jan 19 2005, 10:42 AM
welcome doctors4bob?

since you said you are not in a terrible rush, i would definitley WAIT for the new engines in the spring.? The 530i is getting a brand new 3.0 that makes ~258bhp, is lighter and more fuel efficient.? In the US it is going to be as a MY06 available in the april-may time frame... good luck
[snapback]80705[/snapback]
Thanks! April/May is right in my time frame anyway. Do you think I'd still be able to get a similar deal?

I was also thinking about getting pricing on the 545. Since it has many of the features I want standards, the pricing might not be that different, especially if I take european delivery. Anything major changing on the 545 for 2006?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

Depends on the lease rate. If they're putting the current 530 out at a "fire sale" rate, I'd think about leasing one. It's a pretty darn good car as is.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by doctors4bob' date='Jan 19 2005, 08:35 AM
Hi all, first of all I want to say as a lurker on this board I have found the discussions here very informative and engaging.

I have the itch to get a BMW sports sedan.? I am in the US (New Jersey).? I am not so much in a rush, but the lease deals I have been offered for a '05 530i have been very competitive.

For example:
Premium Package
Cold Weather
Sirius
Navigation
Premium Sound
Automatic

for 655/mo, 1500 inception fees.? ( $54,590 MSRP, $51,900 cap cost)

I am sure they are being flexible with the price due to the new '05/'06 5-series changes that are coming out.

Does anyone have any insight on where these prices might go?? I am not in a terrible rush and I would feel bad if I took delivery on one only to see the newer '05 models (or '06s) going for the same price.? I have also inquired about European Delivery, which I would think would push me towards the '05 if they have any left over there because I understand the pricing on those is very competitive (one quote for ED was 610 for the same car configured as above PLUS 20-way comfort seats).

FYI I am leasing for tax purposes but with the money factors so low (.000125, or 3%) it is sort of a win-win, as I can buy out the car later assuming the residual is honest.

Thanks!
ed
[snapback]80701[/snapback]
If it was me...and I wasn't in a rush, I would wait for the new engine. I love my 530, but if it had a wee bit more power....I would love it even more!! And, buying the 530 allows me to look forward to moving up to the 545, or 550 in a few years!!

Out of curiosity, do you know how much over invoice the sales price would be on the lease deal you mention above? Which ever way you go, you will love the E60!
Old 01-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

Originally Posted by doctors4bob' date='Jan 19 2005, 09:35 AM

I have the itch to get a BMW sports sedan.? I am in the US (New Jersey).? I am not so much in a rush, but the lease deals I have been offered for a '05 530i have been very competitive.

For example:
Premium Package
Cold Weather
Sirius
Navigation
Premium Sound
Automatic

for 655/mo, 1500 inception fees.? ( $54,590 MSRP, $51,900 cap cost)

Does anyone have any insight on where these prices might go?? I am not in a terrible rush and I would feel bad if I took delivery on one only to see the newer '05 models (or '06s) going for the same price.? I have also inquired about European Delivery, which I would think would push me towards the '05 if they have any left over there because I understand the pricing on those is very competitive (one quote for ED was 610 for the same car configured as above PLUS 20-way comfort seats).

Thanks!
ed
[snapback]80701[/snapback]
I just leased this month and I obviously haven't experienced the new R6 version, but, in my opinion, these are unbelievable lease deals available right now that we may not see for a long while on this car. It makes up for getting the exhisting version, albeit with 30 fewer horses, is still an excellent Bimmer. Besides, I'm sure you'll pay dearly for the '06, not only in price increase, but the lack of incentives. Just my.002.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by niktee' date='Jan 19 2005, 10:58 AM
I just leased this month and I obviously haven't experienced the new R6 version, but, in my opinion, these are unbelievable lease deals available right now that we may not see for a long while on this car.? It makes up for getting the exhisting version, albeit with 30 fewer horses, is still an excellent Bimmer.? Besides, I'm sure you'll pay dearly for the '06, not only in price increase, but the lack of incentives.? Just my.002.
That is what I was thinking. One dealer is also said Euro delivery would be available for the MY2005 530, which would bring the price down even more.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' date='Jan 19 2005, 10:53 AM
If it was me...and I wasn't in a rush, I would wait for the new engine.? I love my 530, but if it had a wee bit more power....I would love it even more!! And, buying the 530 allows me to look forward to moving up to the 545, or 550 in a few years!!

Out of curiosity, do you know how much over invoice the sales price would be on the lease deal you mention above?? Which ever way you go, you will love the E60!
The invoice price is 50,400 i think (based on CarsDirect.com configurator) so that would put it at 1500 over invoice. Not bad.....
Old 01-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Man
Members

My Ride: 2005 525 Silver Gray/Black, Step, Premium, Cold, Xeon, 18" wheels

I think the sentiment that the great lease deals will evaporate when the new cars hit. My salesman, whom I have known for 8 years, said alot of people are waiting for the new engines and the lease residuals and money factors are so low right now to get people to buy the current 5, which is great by the way.

The other issue, and only time will tell, is that the M54 inline 6 is mature and very stable. Will the new engine be as stable first year?

The residual and money factor make a huge difference in your lease payment.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Man' date='Jan 19 2005, 11:14 AM
I think the sentiment that the great lease deals will evaporate when the new cars hit.? My salesman, whom I have known for 8 years, said alot of people are waiting for the new engines and the lease residuals and money factors are so low right now to get people to buy the current 5, which is great by the way.?

The other issue, and only time will tell, is that the M54 inline 6 is mature and very stable.? Will the new engine be as stable first year??

The residual and money factor make a huge difference in your lease payment.
[snapback]80721[/snapback]
Yes, the money factor is a very low 0.00125 (3%) and residual of 62%, which is awesome. FYI I looked at the Audi A6 and the residual was a paltry 55%.

Quick Reply: 2005 530i: Lease now or wait?