Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

$950 to pre wire and install IPOD in an 07!? WTF...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

Originally Posted by 5e60er
Thanks for all of the feedback. I called the same dealer again this morning and the parts guy is now quoting $350 for the part (invoice from this weekend shows $370) so more bs... I will check around with other local dealers and see if any of them will be at a reasonable price.

At this rate with the 1 cd at a time I might as well get in the car, gun it to 88 and take it back like an 8-track...

Thanks everyone
go to bavarian auto they have it for about $315-320 no tax and it is the original ipod interface that bmw dealer sells!check it out but you still have to find someone who will program the car.look around it does not have to be a dealer because you might get lucky and find an independent bmw mechanic with the right hardware to do the job.i am very happy with it and you will be too!TRUST ME ON THAT KID!ITS WORTH IT!BUT NOT WITH THE STEALERSHIP PRICES1
Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530i ~ Fully loaded | Sport Package 20" VIP Modular Wheels ICE by Method Sound M Style Body Kit Stop Tech BBK FK High Sport Coilovers RPI Exhaust RPI Air Intake

Posted Today, 03:40 PM

5e60er, on 05 May 2010 - 03:00 PM, said:

Thanks for all of the feedback. I called the same dealer again this morning and the parts guy is now quoting $350 for the part (invoice from this weekend shows $370) so more bs... I will check around with other local dealers and see if any of them will be at a reasonable price.

At this rate with the 1 cd at a time I might as well get in the car, gun it to 88 and take it back like an 8-track...

Thanks everyone

go to bavarian auto they have it for about $315-320 no tax and it is the original ipod interface that bmw dealer sells!check it out but you still have to find someone who will program the car.look around it does not have to be a dealer because you might get lucky and find an independent bmw mechanic with the right hardware to do the job.i am very happy with it and you will be too!TRUST ME ON THAT KID!ITS WORTH IT!BUT NOT WITH THE STEALERSHIP PRICES1

Thanks ofr the heads up, I will check them out, Im in southern CA so going to NYC wont happen

I am talking wiht a couple bmw mechancs on it now.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

950 is outrageous; get another place to do it
Old 05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

(5e60er - give me a call, I offer a reasonable price for the gateway or oem adaptor installation, which includes installation and programming) your PMs are blocked?

OK guys, I will go ahead and play devils advocate here, take it easy on me as this looks like an uphill battle at this point. It is fine if you disagree with me here, but please do not flame me on this one, as I am not trying to go to battle over the cost of the iPod. I am just trying to provide a shop perspective for everyone. So here it goes:

First of all, the factory iPod adaptor ( Alpine adaptor, not the SA-6FL usb option ) is about $200 less then the Gateway unit. Do not confuse one for the other. The retail price of the Gateway is $599, and lets just say that here in the US, the cost is higher then what I see posted. As a shop owner, I understand the iPod adaptor, with installation, gets a bit expensive on these cars, but the quality of the audio and the interface control is excellent. For those of you that are willing to find the unit somewhere on ebay, install it yourself, and then get a good deal at the dealer for programming-I say good for you. You saved some money doing it yourself ( so long as your not paying the dealer $600 for programming ). But for everyone else, I would say it is not reasonable to expect a shop to sell the unit, install it, and program it for $400.

As for programming time, not all cars take the same amount of time to program. Cars older then 03/05 need the MP3 retrofit programming in addition to the iPod programming. If your software is fully up to date, the iPod programming is under an hour. However, some cars really do need 8 hours of programming because the whole system software is out of date and will be unstable if you add the iPod without updating the system first.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I agree with methodsound.

iPod retrofit software activation requires MP3 activation, which may require CIPS/PROGMAN update, which may require update of certain control modules. My BMW Center described the same process when I had my BMW / Alpine BMW interface installed.

Most BMW Centers will quote on the high end, in case they are stuck with an 8-hour job updating various pieces of software on the car, which they have to babysit.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530i ~ Fully loaded | Sport Package 20" VIP Modular Wheels ICE by Method Sound M Style Body Kit Stop Tech BBK FK High Sport Coilovers RPI Exhaust RPI Air Intake

Originally Posted by methodsound
(5e60er - give me a call, I offer a reasonable price for the gateway or oem adaptor installation, which includes installation and programming) your PMs are blocked?

OK guys, I will go ahead and play devils advocate here, take it easy on me as this looks like an uphill battle at this point. It is fine if you disagree with me here, but please do not flame me on this one, as I am not trying to go to battle over the cost of the iPod. I am just trying to provide a shop perspective for everyone. So here it goes:

First of all, the factory iPod adaptor ( Alpine adaptor, not the SA-6FL usb option ) is about $200 less then the Gateway unit. Do not confuse one for the other. The retail price of the Gateway is $599, and lets just say that here in the US, the cost is higher then what I see posted. As a shop owner, I understand the iPod adaptor, with installation, gets a bit expensive on these cars, but the quality of the audio and the interface control is excellent. For those of you that are willing to find the unit somewhere on ebay, install it yourself, and then get a good deal at the dealer for programming-I say good for you. You saved some money doing it yourself ( so long as your not paying the dealer $600 for programming ). But for everyone else, I would say it is not reasonable to expect a shop to sell the unit, install it, and program it for $400.

As for programming time, not all cars take the same amount of time to program. Cars older then 03/05 need the MP3 retrofit programming in addition to the iPod programming. If your software is fully up to date, the iPod programming is under an hour. However, some cars really do need 8 hours of programming because the whole system software is out of date and will be unstable if you add the iPod without updating the system first.
Figured out the PM issue

I will give you a call tomorrow, thanks for all the feedback
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by harlem

where in nyc did you go to get it done? im in NY need someone to program.
thanks man
Old 05-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2exclusive
thanks man
pm me and i will give you the guys name and address to the shop.he can do it for you.they are located in the bronx.hit me back.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2exclusive
thanks man
pm me and i will give you the guys name and address to the shop.he can do it for you.they are located in the bronx.hit me back.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

I JUST installed the Dension Gateway 500 in my non-CDC player and it was EASY. Tap HOT, GROUND, and FIBRE (where you see the light of the fiber is IN to the GW I believe?)... plug into the CAR side of the GW500. So easy a caveman can do it! (Although I must admit I fumbled and fumbled looking at the directions, you just have to quickly build the connectors and everything is provided in the kit.)

http://dension.com/download.php?file...tallguide1.pdf

I used Instation Type 3b per the above instructions.

PM FANTASTIC 5 for a deal on the GW500. (Everything I've read says the GW is faster and better than the factory iPod connection kit.)

All that said... Can anyone in the DC Metro area do my programming?

Quick Reply: $950 to pre wire and install IPOD in an 07!? WTF...