The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

VW Phaeton

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, on a lark, I just called up a local VW dealer and asked if he had any Phaetons in stock -- you know that marketing disaster on four-wheels from VW which has now been discontinued for the US market?

Anyhow, asked for the "best" price he could offer me on a Phaeton W12 fully loaded. Without even flinching he said 75k right off the bat, but also said he was willing to work "a deal" if I was serious.

Now, realize this, the W12 retails (i.e. MSRP) for over USD 105k. Fully loaded with comfort pkg, gloss trim, easy acces, etc.

Goodness, that's actually quite tempting.

Of course, getting a Phaeton would be the equivalent in many respects of getting a Dodo bird as a pet.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='200255' date='Nov 18 2005, 02:01 PM
Ok, on a lark, I just called up a local VW dealer and asked if he had any Phaetons in stock -- you know that marketing disaster on four-wheels from VW which has now been discontinued for the US market?

Anyhow, asked for the "best" price he could offer me on a Phaeton W12 fully loaded. Without even flinching he said 75k right off the bat, but also said he was willing to work "a deal" if I was serious.

Now, realize this, the W12 retails (i.e. MSRP) for over USD 105k. Fully loaded with comfort pkg, gloss trim, easy acces, etc.

Of course, getting a Phaeton would be the equivalent in many respects of getting a Dodo bird as a pet.
The Phaeton is an awesomely well engineered car - it may indeed be a "dodo" but it doesn't deserve to be. Couple of the US mags have them on long term test and badge aside they seem to love it. I just wish BMW could build a car as well as this - shame for VW that it didn't work out.....
Old 11-18-2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='200271

The Phaeton is an awesomely well engineered car - it may indeed be a "dodo" but it doesn't deserve to be. Couple of the US mags have them on long term test and badge aside they seem to love it. I just wish BMW could build a car as well as this - shame for VW that it didn't work out.....
[/quote]

I completely agree. The Phaeton interior is a work of beauty - rivaled only by the Maserati QP in my opinion. Leather is soft and creamy, so much wood you feel like you're in a log cabin and all the gauges are surrounded with real chrome! The seats are comfy too.

Don't even get me started on the back seats -- the rear passenger area is waaay awesome. Better than even the 750Li.

Best part of the interior? Those retracting a/c vents that pop open when the car is started. Now that is cool.

But the Germans must have something against cupholders. Even when they are placed right (i.e. center console), they don't make them deep enough. The VW Phaeton cupholders, while in the center console area, are so shallow you'd think they were made for coasters and not cups.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='200255' date='Nov 18 2005, 05:01 PM

I actually liked the Edsel. I really think it's main problem was the vertical grill, but I am not sure why. I liked the grill. But, then I'm often (^;}~.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

anybody knows why the phaeton was discontinued?
Old 11-19-2005, 06:17 AM
gbj
Members

Unhappy

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='200463' date='Nov 19 2005, 01:30 AM
Maybe it had to do with cutting into Audi sales.

-----------------------------------------
2006 530xit, titamium gray, premium package, cold weather package, pdc, rear window sunshades, rear seat heating

2003 530i, dark blue, premium package, coldweather package
Old 11-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='200463' date='Nov 18 2005, 10:30 PM
Terrible sales. Would you spend that kind of money on a VW?

Forbes listed it as one of top ten automotive turkeys of 2005:

http://biz.yahoo.com/weekend/carturkey_1.html
Old 11-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Buy the Phaeton for God sake!!
Old 11-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='200463' date='Nov 19 2005, 02:30 PM
If you have 100K would you spent it on a VW, most of us wouldn't and would opt for brand like BMW, MB, Audi etc. So cutting it was the logical thing to do.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='200463' date='Nov 19 2005, 01:30 AM
Did it have a vertical grill? ~0{;^)

Quick Reply: VW Phaeton