The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Time for a new car, ideas or recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

So I've been debating getting a new (probably another used) car for a while since my car is racking up miles and my warranty will be up soon. I will also be moving and my commute will be longer so I wanted something I wouldn't mind putting miles on. I have a few cars in mind and a few criteria and was hoping you all could chime in with any help, comments, reviews, ideas, etc.

What I'm looking for:
-Reliable
-Lower cost to maintain
-Decent to great gas mileage (i.e. no V8)
-Under $25K but would prefer something closer to $20K or below
-Smaller sedan or coupe
-Manual transmission
-Still somewhat nice and fun to drive
-Basically a "down-grade" from my current E60 545i

Cars I had in mind (in no particular order):
-2006 to 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe
-2010 to 2011 Volkswagen GTI
-2007 to 2011 Mini Cooper S
-???? Mini Clubman S
-2009 to 2011 Honda Accord V6
-2006 to 2007 Nissan 350Z
-2006 to 2008 Subaru STI
-2011 to 2012 Subaru WRX
-2007 to 2011 Mazdaspeed 3
-???? Acura RSX Type S
-???? Acura TSX
-2011 to 2012 Toyota Prius (weird choice but I was actually in one and they are pretty cool)

I am looking for a longer term car this time and would want one that is the most likely to give the least amount of hassles and $$$ in repair costs. But I also want something that I would still like to drive everyday. I doubt I will have time to test drive all of the cars I listed so if anyone has any feedback or recommendations that would help narrow my list that would be great! There are pro and cons to each and it would require me writing a paper to go into the details but if anyone has any other cars I left off also that meet this criteria, please let me know! Its a sad feeling that I will most likely be giving up my beloved E60, but I guess this time comes for everyone eventually.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Depends but from that list, I would have reduced it down to the G35 or possibly G37, 350Z, Cooper S if you can fit in it and it's a fun daily driver car, and both model of the Subaru. Have personal experience with both the G37 and 350 and love them but too bad it's only 2 door, a bit inconvenience for me just in case I need to take my daughter somewhere.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If saving gas is required I'd stay away from the V-6's listed. You can get a Honda Accord 2006-08 for under $20k easily, and you can find them with a manual. Also, racking up miles won't matter - it's a Honda
Old 05-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Depends but from that list, I would have reduced it down to the G35 or possibly G37, 350Z, Cooper S if you can fit in it and it's a fun daily driver car, and both model of the Subaru. Have personal experience with both the G37 and 350 and love them but too bad it's only 2 door, a bit inconvenience for me just in case I need to take my daughter somewhere.
Those were some of my top choices too. I was really looking into the Mini since I heard they are fun to throw around and get GREAT gas mileage but they are small and I might get tired of the "Mini look." They are made by BMW so I wouldn't be going too far astray but do you know about the maintenance costs and reliability on them?

Originally Posted by pjinca
If saving gas is required I'd stay away from the V-6's listed. You can get a Honda Accord 2006-08 for under $20k easily, and you can find them with a manual. Also, racking up miles won't matter - it's a Honda
Thanks John! That's what I was thinking, my gf has a 2007 Accord Coupe fully decked out and it has 100K miles and it still drives like a dream with zero problems mechanically or electronically. I might have to sacrifice some MPGs for some HPs though . Don't think I can go from my 545i to a 4-cylinder Honda. I'd be fine with anywhere in the mid to high 20's since I average about 17-18 right now.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Ross, I'm sad that you're going to sell your car. After seeing your E60, I was definitely influenced to get one myself and love it thus far. The front lip is great and yes I do scrape it from time to time and my car is on stock suspension. I don't know how you drove it around when your setup is so much lower! haha

Mini cooper is a fun car, but it has one of the highest resale values. Thus it may be pricey to get a used one. I have driven my friend's Mini JCW version and it handles very well. Furthermore, surprisingly it felt super heavy for such a small car.

As for gas mileage, I get 22-24mpg on my I6 530i. On my V6(3.5L - 6speed) Camry i was getting 24-26mpg. My sister's old V4(2.4L - 5 speed) Scion TC was getting 24mpg only and I was disappointed. We both have normal driving habits. V4 would be a huge step down from your V8 and you will hate it. Go with V6!!

Haven't driven a G35 but my sister bought a G37 sedan few months back - they are nice and fun cars.

Prius? Um... No. If you do this, I may have to disassociate from you. Lol. j/k.

See you Friday at Gerry's!
Old 08-06-2011, 02:34 AM
Senior Members

Your kist of cars is so boring.....add BMW 3. Series, Saab 9-5, Saab 9-3 and corvette, my Z06 is fast, gets 27mpg and is cheap to maintain
Old 08-06-2011, 04:22 AM
Contributors

Why not look for a pre-owned certified 3 series - 328's can be very affordable and have very good reliability ... . it also keeps you in the family! I'd stay away from 335's but maybe an all-wheel drive variant if your winter commutes are tough.

Alternatively the VW GTI's get solid reviews and are both roomy and comfortable and fun to drive while delivering decent fuel economy. I'm not a fan of the Infinity coupes - I feel they are over-rated and over priced. And outward visibility is horrible!

One word on Honda = boring ... yup, pretty reliable and recent years have improved seats ... but boring!

Last word - I'll get smacked on this one ... but I think it's worth considering - Hyundai Sonata!

Pleeeeeeze don't hit me ... the OP is looking for an affordable commuter
Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Hondas are good, but you'll definitely become invisible......too common!
I'm 6'1" and easily fit in a Mini....and they're super cool.
My vote is Mini, then a CPO 3 series/ G series.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Members

How about a used 2008 Acura TL-S, or even a base TL? It's nice, handsome, comfortable, sporty, gets good gas mileage and it's a Honda

You may be able to get a 2008 TL-S for 25K or a little more if you are lucky. On the other hand, you can totally get a base TL with low mileage for well under 25K.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

MINI COOPER S!!!!!!!

And definitely no Infiniti Gs if u want good gas mileage. It drinks gas like a V8

Quick Reply: Time for a new car, ideas or recommendations?