The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

For those that bash BMW reliability

Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Last year we got rid of a 3 year old Subaru Tribeca because after 45k miles it was burning oil and since the warranty ran out at 40k miles the dealer said it needed a new short block to the tune of $4800 in repairs and 12 month warranty. We replaced the Subaru with a NEW Honda Accord - the LEGEND of rock solid reliability, thinking "how can we go wrong with a Honda, right?"
Well guess what. Today we got a letter stating that our Honda was recalled, not for something silly like Toyota's sticky throttle, no that would be simple. This recall was for the FRONT SUSPENSION, apparently they didn't quite bolt it on correctly when they built the car. Isn't that great? The car that was supposed to be safe and reliable, and the one that hauls my wife and kids around. might just have the front suspension fall apart. Recall info
Now, I have had one major problem with my 530, the CCC (iDrive) unit failed and had to be replaced. However, THAT issue wasn't going to KILL me!!!! WTF Honda?!?!?! Seriously? You neglected to bolt the front suspension on properly? REALLY? :thumbsdown:
Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Well, the good thing is it's going to be fixed. I am curious though, has any accidents occurred due to this negligence? I imagine that would be the important question.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Well, the good thing is it's going to be fixed. I am curious though, has any accidents occurred due to this negligence? I imagine that would be the important question.

Good question Simon, I don't know the answer, but manufacturers rarely do a voluntary recall unless something has happened and it's likely that the government would force a recall anyway. Just much less publicity when they do it voluntarily
Old 10-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I am glad Honda told you before you found out on your own.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonymac
I am glad Honda told you before you found out on your own.
Me too Tony, me too
Old 10-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 528
Model Year: 2009

First post for me but I had to chime in on this one.

You are really exaggerating the problem with the Honda. The Accords "MAY" have a problem with the torque on the axle spindle nut. The axle spindle nut is staked to the axle shaft when the nut is tightened, this prevents the axle nut from backing off. If the nut isn't torqued properly then premature hub bearing failure is possible but if this were to happen, and it wouldn't be all of a sudden, it would gradually start to make noise that becomes very obvious while driving. Over time the as the bearing gets worse the noise would get so loud that even a deaf person would realize that something is amiss. The recall states that loss of steering may occur, while this is certainly possible the chances of it happening instantly just isn't a reality.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi 2005 Acura RL-Aspec (sold) 2004 Acura TL (sold)

Wow at this thread. I agree with ^^^^^.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by blazing gt
Wow at this thread. I agree with ^^^^^.
I don't, somehow the "possibility" that the front suspension could come apart is supposed to make me feel better? No matter how remote the possibility it's ridiculous. :thumbsdown:
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 528
Model Year: 2009

^^^^

So how does it make you feel that on the 5 series, and others as well, BMW has a known problem with brake booster contamination that could cause loss of brakes but has yet to come up with a remedy or send letters to the customers telling them about it? So now you have one car that may not move because the suspension may fall off of it, and another vehicle that may not stop becasue the brakes may fail....whats a person to do??
Old 10-27-2011, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by l1tech
^^^^

So how does it make you feel that on the 5 series, and others as well, BMW has a known problem with brake booster contamination that could cause loss of brakes but has yet to come up with a remedy or send letters to the customers telling them about it? So now you have one car that may not move because the suspension may fall off of it, and another vehicle that may not stop becasue the brakes may fail....whats a person to do??
Actually the brake booster issue was only on V-8 cars and BMW did send a letter out with a recall notice. So, since I have an I6 car I don't have this issue. Searching the forums here you will see numerous threads regarding the brake booster issue with V-8 cars

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those that bash BMW reliability