The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Thank You Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to start by saying thanks to everyone here on all the nice inputs and info but i just went to check out the new 5 last night up close and i really didn't like it.

Expecially the interior. I'm sorry but the interior looked very plain to me and i do not like the idrive at all. I like my interior with more buttons to push. I do love the way it drive though. Its a fantastic sedan and i think the exterior looks very nice and agressive. Also, the car was a little too big for my taste. I guess i like my cars a little smaller because i use to have a BMW 325 4 Door and a Nissan 350Z. So maybe i should just wait until the new 4 door 3 Series comes out and i think or hope the idrive is an option.

Anyway while waiting for the new 3 series. I might consider other sport sedan. Any suggestion ??? What i am looking for is a four doors sport sedan because i have two babys. I do have a Minivan right now which take cares of large group family trips but i still wanted to buy a fun sport sedan that i can take my babys with me too sometime.

Again, i wanted to say thank everyone input here at this forum and enjoy your new 5 Series.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

You do realize the new e90, 3 series in '06 also uses idrive. The interior is similar to that of the e60. Consider the G35, it rear wheel drive and has kick ass hp, just not the bmw drive. Good Luck...I too had an e46, but our family is expanding, we already have an SUV in the family,that's why the e60 is a good size and fun to drive.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

if you want something good/fun, european engineered, and sporty, why don't you look into the Audi A4(1.8t & 3.0), or even S4 (v8 4.2l quattro). The new A6 is very nice too, but it has a bigger feel to it that the e60 - however the computer is MUCH better & quicker than the e60's.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributors

well good luck on your search...you may want to look at the new Acura TL....its a nice package with all the goodies included, my brother has it and loves it...its got a nice interior scheme, and roomy, and a bit sporty...
Old 12-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by m630' date='Dec 21 2004, 12:49 PM
well good luck on your search...you may want to look at the new Acura TL....its a nice package with all the goodies included, my brother has it and loves it...its got a nice interior scheme, and roomy, and a bit sporty...
[snapback]71187[/snapback]
Lots of buttons, a beautiful interior and a smaller car.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Breae60' date='Dec 21 2004, 12:37 PM
You do realize the new e90, 3 series in '06 also uses idrive.? The interior is similar to that of the e60.? Consider the G35, it rear wheel drive and has kick ass hp, just not the bmw drive.? Good Luck...I too had an e46, but our family is expanding, we already have an SUV in the family,that's why the e60 is a good size and fun to drive.
[snapback]71181[/snapback]

Actually, I thought I-Drive was OPTIONAL on the new e90?
that aside, I would recommend the Acura TL and the Infiniti G35 based on your need for a compact 4-door. I think these cars will deliver for you (and are great values BTW).
Good luck
Old 12-21-2004, 10:54 AM
JDN
Contributors

kc5354, I think you are going in the right direction. Unless you already have their future well taken care of, with two babies, a 5 series is a lot of car. I always like the Integra R series. Lots of performance and fun to boogy with around town.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:09 AM
Members

The 3 series may be just what you are looking for. Your adult rear seat passengers would probably prefer the 5, but if you will just be carting around babies, they probably will not complain. I heard that the I-drive will be optional as well. Good luck in your search.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kc5354,

As you can see that this forum is not as bashful as Roadfly and people are willing to give you advise rather than teasing you.
I-drive is a subjective issue. The more you use it, the more you're into it. Just an example, how can you change the clock in BMW 3-series? It's not intuitive like i-drive that you can play around with the GUI.
For the size, I fully agree with you that once you're used to the 3-series, stepping up to 5-series is a big change. Just like I drive my bro-in-law LS400 the other day, it's too big for me, and 5-series is a perfect size for me
If I were you, I'd get the new 3-series where i-drive is an option. Unless you opt for nav where i-drive is a must.
Just another word that 3-series does not feel as road hugging as 5-series due to smaller tire size, shorter tracks, and wheelbase. Ride will be bumpier.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Make sure you pre-order your E90 3 series right now ! Good luck! Somehow i agree with your opinions on the E60 interior. But actually after you have them for at least a months or so, I-drive is a small problem and it is not really that plain. I still think that when i drive my E60, it seems to be a normal sedan, unlike E-class..