The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Test drove M45 today 545 yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:34 AM
Your BMW will spend a lot more time in the shop than an Infiniti will and the dealer service can't be any worse at Infiniti.? Having said that...I still prefer the BMW.
[snapback]92573[/snapback]
If you want high-tech that's the price you're paying.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Wolverine, I drove the M45 sport version with the 19" wheels. I did notice that the rear tires were 45s whereas the BMW has 75s on the rear and 45s on the front. I really did not like the braking on the Infinity or the steering. And it didn't push me back in the seat when I pressed the accelerator to the floor as the BMW did. The clincher was a fairly sharp curved freeway offramp. I thought I might lose control. This would have been a breeze at a much higher speed in my M3, and I suspect in the 545 sport as well. By the way, my daughter who was a passenger felt the same way about the freeway offramp, a very unsteady feeling. In contrast I loved the active roll stabilization in the 545, and felt very secure on a sharply curved freeway offramp at speed.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 04:38 PM
[quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:34 AM']Your BMW will spend a lot more time in the shop than an Infiniti will and the dealer service can't be any worse at Infiniti.? Having said that...I still prefer the BMW.
[snapback]92573[/snapback]
If you want high-tech that's the price you're paying.
[snapback]92577[/snapback]
[/quote]

No, its not a matter of hi-tech...plenty of low-tech things break on bimmers that don't on Japanese cars. Look at the e39 540's issues for example...its not high tech stuff. Radiator, water pump, power steering hose, AC system. In the M3 it was connecting rod bearings and head gasket. Its a lack of quality in design and/or manufacturing.

Don't knock the Japanese for quality, because they still kick BMW's butt. But what they have not been able to match is the driving experience...hence, that's why I'm getting another bimmer.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:50 AM
Don't knock the Japanese for quality, because they still kick BMW's butt.
[snapback]92580[/snapback]
No, they don't. They are lightyears behind.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 04:56 PM
[quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:50 AM']Don't knock the Japanese for quality, because they still kick BMW's butt.
[snapback]92585[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I see that you're from Germany, so you're not exactly a neutral observer.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 01:09 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 04:56 PM'][quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:50 AM']Don't knock the Japanese for quality, because they still kick BMW's butt.
[/quote]

[snapback]92587[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am not going to discuss this any further, because it would get uglier than the foglights thread. But I am neutral, because I don't give a flying f*ck where are car is made.
The inventions are coming from here. They do the same like MS, they take a look at it, then copy it. They are good in copying though, but the real challenge is to create something new.
And now I am outta here.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 05:17 PM
[quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 01:09 AM'][quote name='Iceman' date='Feb 20 2005, 04:56 PM'][quote name='TitaniumGray5' date='Feb 21 2005, 12:50 AM']Don't knock the Japanese for quality, because they still kick BMW's butt.
[/quote]

[snapback]92587[/snapback]
[/quote]
I am not going to discuss this any further, because it would get uglier than the foglights thread. But I am neutral, because I don't give a flying f*ck where are car is made.
The inventions are coming from here. They do the same like MS, they take a look at it, then copy it. They are good in copying though, but the real challenge is to create something new.
And now I am outta here.
[snapback]92590[/snapback]

Well if you are defining quality as inventions, then sure, you are no doubt correct. My definition of quality related to number of problems, trips to the dealer, breakdowns, etc. IMO, BMW and MB needs to back off on their techno wizardry which they can't seem to get to work and stick to building a car with quality materials, that is reliable, and drives well. You're certainly aware of the number of buybacks BMW has had for the 7 series.
[/quote]
Old 02-20-2005, 03:33 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

I've been driving a orange FX35 for two days now. The sound from the engine is amazing and the look of the car is stunning. But thats pretty much it. The multimedia system in a Infiniti feels like an third part solution and nothing is as perfect as in a BMW. I'm not fond of SUVs anyway. Been driving a Touareg for half a year before my 530 Touring, and I'm not missing my old T-reg. I've seen ads from my dealer about my T-Reg 2000? cheaper than I sold it to him for. I don't understand what I'm trying to say, probably I've been drinking too much whiskey at my friends place... doh!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 20 2005, 04:10 PM
Infiniti has had its ups and downs over the years in the US.? The first year it entered the US market, it shared a JD Powers award with Lexus and then it went downhill very quickly -- that is why you had a good experience with your "first generation Infiniti Q45."

It's current car models are clawing their way back into the forefront of the luxury market, but Infiniti is still way behind Lexus, BMW and MB -- think about that, Infiniti cannot sell as many cars as MB, with its terrible quality/reliability, in the US market.? This should tell you how far Infiniti has to go before it gets anywhere near BMW.

Carlos Ghosn has done good things since taking over Nissan, so it's on its way up (rather than down), but it still has a ways to go before they earn any of my $$.? Even with every major auto rag selecting the G35 as "car of the year" or winning some comparison against the BMW 3-series, the 3-series is still the market leader in its segment (with no "free advertising" from the auto rags, like the G35).

With all due respect to swajames, everyone should test drive the car they intend to buy, rather than relying on some auto rag award (which can and have been previously "procured" with sufficient advertising by the manufacturer).
[snapback]92561[/snapback]
Take your point, all I was saying is that I had two of them before my 545 and they were solid cars. As good as my BMW? No - not at all, and for both tangible (engineering, ride etc) as well as intangible (prestige, image, gotta have it etc) reasons. But I think the G35 got "car of the year" etc on merit - because they deliver something approaching BMW type handling but at a Japanese price. Doesn't mean they are better - and had I been able to afford the BMW I wanted at the time I got my Infinitis I probably would (then again by waiting I was able to get the 545 so I did the right thing!).
Old 03-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Contributors

Boys.....BMW is the benchmark that all others compare themselves to. Infiniti has come a long way but the 550 will distance us again. German engineering is unsurpassed

Quick Reply: Test drove M45 today 545 yesterday