The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Test Drove 911S (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too spent some time in both the Boxter and the Carrera . But I bought an 07 997 cab. and everything said in the opening statement is true. Heck I'm even confgured the same as CVT. I will say this after owning my 997 for 7 months. It is pure pleasure to drive. It is a SPORTS CAR not a sports sedan like the 5er. I have taken it on serveral 4 hour jants, and it does get a bit hard on the back side...

Artic Gray, Black top, Black full leather interior.
Bose sound
Short shift kit
Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Great review. I'm in somewhat the same boat - I've got over 65,000 miles on my M5 and I'll be needing a replacement early next year for sure. I've decided that I need two cars to do the job; one for long highway cruising, winter driving, and transporting other people to various events; the other for having fun in everyday driving, and tracking on a monthly basis. For a cruising car, I'm probably getting the new 7-series if it's available in the US early next year.

I've driven pretty much everything, and I agree with your assessment of the 911S. I drove one with sports suspension and short shifter and it was magnificent as a sports car. However, compared to the M5 it was noisy and rough, and nowhere near the highway cruiser. Lots of torque and just a blast to drive around town. I really thought about the 997S as my track car, but I've pretty much decided on a Cayman S.

On the track, I've noticed that the Caymans are generally quicker than pretty much all the Porsches except for the GT3's and Turbos. With a professional driver, I'm sure that wouldn't be the case, but with us amateurs it seems to be. The 911S is probably the most satisfying car to drive well I've ever been in. It's just very unsatisfying if you dont... I've driven the Cayman a few times, and it's definitely easier and more forgiving to drive at the limit. I figure I could spend the difference on mods, and have one heck of a track car as well as a fun everyday driver in the warmer months.

I wouldn't even think of using the P-car in the winter. You'll need snow tires if you do, and then you pretty much ruin the razor sharp handling and feel of that car. I drive my M5 in the winter, and it just isn't the same with the snow tires - like a different car. Still a blast, but I imagine a Porsche would not do well in the snow.

I would get a 911S with sports suspension and the short shifter, and really tune it for fun in the warmer months. Then get a 535Xi for the winter driving and long road trips. If you try to do a 'year round' P-car, you'll end up not having the best car for any season.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Members

I just went through this procedure and ended up trading in a Jag XJR for a BMW 550i 6 sp in standard. I happen to have a new baby and figure I need one car that is usable as an everyday car. I'm hoping in a couple of years to add a 997 s2 to the garage as a weekend toy. The 997 s2 is raw, small, and lacking of the features that I want in an everyday car. I also have a Jeep TJ Rubicon which is raw, small and lacking in features. I use it for winter driving, a summer convertible and the required spare for the Jag, which liked to visit it's second home(repair shop) often. The Jeep doesn't make a good any car, the ride is rough, jarring and loud. People drive Porsches everyday of the year. During bad weather you can always leave the Porsche in the garage and take a cab. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you choose!
Old 04-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

I spent some time in an 07 turbo trip and I couldnt see what was worth the 135k. Im not doing track days and the space isnt practical plus I dont think it is "exotic" enough for sub 100 range. Theres no bluetooth, fancy nav, fancy tech toys or anything that an M car or AMG car would have. Obviously 2 different cars but I think you can get the job done in an M6.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='556689' date='Apr 5 2008, 05:43 PM
I spent some time in an 07 turbo trip and I couldnt see what was worth the 135k. Im not doing track days and the space isnt practical plus I dont think it is "exotic" enough for sub 100 range. Theres no bluetooth, fancy nav, fancy tech toys or anything that an M car or AMG car would have. Obviously 2 different cars but I think you can get the job done in an M6.
They are different cars as you say, but at the end of the day the 997 turbo will utterly destroy anything from AMG or the M Division. It's an unbelievably quick car, much lighter than the M5/M6 and any of the AMG competitors. By any reasonable definition, and at close to 500Hp and (with Sport Chrono) 500lb/ft from 3.6 liters, producing 0-60 times of around 3.7 seconds or less (road tests show the factory claims to be understated), it's absolutely an exotic.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='557246' date='Apr 7 2008, 12:32 AM
They are different cars as you say, but at the end of the day the 997 turbo will utterly destroy anything from AMG or the M Division. It's an unbelievably quick car, much lighter than the M5/M6 and any of the AMG competitors. By any reasonable definition, and at close to 500Hp and (with Sport Chrono) 500lb/ft from 3.6 liters, producing 0-60 times of around 3.7 seconds or less (road tests show the factory claims to be understated), it's absolutely an exotic.

The Carrera S will destroy the M6 or AM on a track. You don't even have to get to the turbo to for Porsche to render those cars to their knees. It does it with 100 - 150 less HP than the other too.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525i (not LCI) - Alpine white, M sport package, Comfort seats, Logic 7, Bluetooth, Xenon adaptive headlights, PDC, sunroof, A/C with extended features, etc.

kinda off topic...but if you guys havent seen it already, just take a look at this.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/entertain...schewebcinema/

enter the site, and view (911 GT2 - technology)

it is THE best car video i have ever seen, but i may be biased as the GT2 is my favorite car of all times.