The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Should I get A6 instead?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi

My 07 530xi is on its way. However, Audi is running a special program that I am qualified to participate in through my employer and get A6 at about $1000 below invoice. This effectively means I can either get 4.2 V8 Quattro for less than 530xi or 3.2 Quattro and save $6000 over similarly loaded 530xi. Note that I am not interested in new 535xi since I don't like turbo (please do not try to convince me otherwise, I did try 335 and didn't like it). AWD is a must, so E60 550 is not an option. 3er is too small for me.

E60: I like the exterior better and connection to the car is significantly better than in Audi. More expensive, especially considering that I will be dumping RFTs and replacing them with regular high quality all seasons. I prefer 124 style wheels so most probably will have to spend extra $$$ to get them.

A6: Significantly cheaper for me, I like interior better than E60. Regular tires. Slightly less convoluted MMI compared to iDrive. However, I don't like overboosted steering but I have heard that pulling servotronic relay restores normal non-vario behavior.

I am taking A6 on a 24hr test drive this weekend. Will post my thoughts after that. Meanwhile, opinions are appreciated.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

If you get 124 wheels for your xi, make sure you get the xi specific 124 wheels. There are 2 different sets with 2 different offsets, one for regular E60's, and one for xi E60's.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

Originally Posted by uglybear' post='406122' date='Mar 23 2007, 04:16 PM
My 07 530xi is on its way. However, Audi is running a special program that I am qualified to participate in through my employer and get A6 at about $1000 below invoice. This effectively means I can either get 4.2 V8 Quattro for less than 530xi or 3.2 Quattro and save $6000 over similarly loaded 530xi. Note that I am not interested in new 535xi since I don't like turbo (please do not try to convince me otherwise, I did try 335 and didn't like it). AWD is a must, so E60 550 is not an option. 3er is too small for me.

E60: I like the exterior better and connection to the car is significantly better than in Audi. More expensive, especially considering that I will be dumping RFTs and replacing them with regular high quality all seasons. I prefer 124 style wheels so most probably will have to spend extra $$$ to get them.

A6: Significantly cheaper for me, I like interior better than E60. Regular tires. Slightly less convoluted MMI compared to iDrive. However, I don't like overboosted steering but I have heard that pulling servotronic relay restores normal non-vario behavior.

I am taking A6 on a 24hr test drive this weekend. Will post my thoughts after that. Meanwhile, opinions are appreciated.
NO! Had 2 A6's, a 2001 2.7T and a2003 4.2........they can't compare. I would probably buy one for my mother though ...if I win the lotto....but I like to drive and you only ride in an Audi. If you do get one I have the perfect mountain road you can follow me on
Old 03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by beemerdreamer' post='406144' date='Mar 23 2007, 09:24 PM
NO! Had 2 A6's, a 2001 2.7T and a2003 4.2........they can't compare. I would probably buy one for my mother though ...if I win the lotto....but I like to drive and you only ride in an Audi. If you do get one I have the perfect mountain road you can follow me on
I don't think you can compare the old A6, which I had 2 of incidentally, with the new one without test driving it. Although still not billed as a driver's car I think the new A6 is meant to be a world away from the old one.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Contributors

I want an e60 with the Audi interior...LOL the ergonomics on the Audi is unmatched
I agree as being a real drivers car, the stability management and quattro takes too much control..of the car
and the tranny behavior gees..haha, maybe if the A6 has DSG then I would pick it..

There would always be Audi,BMW and Porsche guys ,i guess it's just a matter of preference, but dont get used to the backup camera on the A6, it;s addicting..

Good luck
Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by alex911s' post='406201' date='Mar 23 2007, 11:53 PM
I want an e60 with the Audi interior...LOL the ergonomics on the Audi is unmatched
I agree as being a real drivers car, the stability management and quattro takes too much control..of the car
and the tranny behavior gees..haha, maybe if the A6 has DSG then I would pick it..

There would always be Audi,BMW and Porsche guys ,i guess it's just a matter of preference, but dont get used to the backup camera on the A6, it;s addicting..

Good luck
I looked at the new A6 interior and I don't feel it's a patch on the quality of my old A6. :thumbsdown: As a leader in interiors for many years I think Audi have now taken their eye off the ball and let quality standards slip. Or maybe it's a deliberate move to cut costs of what must have been relatively expensive interior materials compared to other premium brands.

As part of the VW group it is no surprise that the Passat and Golf have both been critisised for downgrading their interiors compared to the previous highly regarded versions.

I feel that properly spec'd up the E60 interior is better than the A6 - with soft plastics everywhere visible. Unlike the A6 where there are more hard plastics just below the eye line where presumably Audi feel they can get away with it. However, basic spec E60 has a pretty low rent feel to it. You need to add plenty of options to get it to feel special such as leather, wood/aluminium, extended interior lighting, advanced A/C for the Euro versions, pre-LCI etc.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Your aversion to turbo means missing a delightful powerplant and great technology.

If the AWD route is a must, the A6 may be the best choice costwise. Particularly if you feel the handling advantage of the bimmer isn't worth it. Big savings no doubt. The 3.2 is the best Audi choice, as the more expensive 4.2 is a complete failure in the performance department. The A6 needs big hp to really rip. Put the 4.2 DI RS4 motor in there, now we're talking. But it isn't there.

While the A6 is a nice car for the money, the best solution to the problem is to test drive the 535xi and cancel the 530xi order. The twin turbo with direct injection is just state of the art. Acceleration and fuel ecomony places it way ahead of the two Audis. Add in the better handling, more distinctive look, and 08 tweak upgrades, I'd pay more $$ the E60 anyday. If you can't get past the turbo issue, IMHO the final decision will be flawed.

CVT Benhogan

Originally Posted by dawi' post='406225' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:00 PM
I looked at the new A6 interior and I don't feel it's a patch on the quality of my old A6. :thumbsdown: As a leader in interiors for many years I think Audi have now taken their eye off the ball and let quality standards slip. Or maybe it's a deliberate move to cut costs of what must have been relatively expensive interior materials compared to other premium brands.
Interesting take. Way back in 2003, the nice interior of the A4 was the deal clincher for us. Better than everything including the old E39 and upper range luxury models. Just one sit in the E60 had me thinking that BMW got serious on the interior front in their own way of course. That said, I really thought the next generation A6 would raise the bar very high in sky. Well, it didn't. Its nice and better than the E60. But not by alot and I can't help but feel that it dissappoints, because its not clearly superior to anything anymore. Most of all it loses that Audi trademark of understated class and sport. I really don't know what to make of it. Chrome here, triangle shape there, shiney this and matt that. Its just colder version of Lexus I think.

CVT
Old 03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

I think the E60 is way better than A6
Old 03-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='406241' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:11 PM
the best solution to the problem is to test drive the 535xi and cancel the 530xi order.
In fact, I ordered 535xi originally with late April delivery but then I test drove 335i steptronic twice and didn't like turbo at all. I canceled 535 order and moved to 07 530 while they were still available. Thanks, but turbo is not for me. I don't care about nice whitepapers, charts, theoretical technology wonders or magazine articles or 0-60 times. I do care though how pleasant is it to drive in my daily commute. I no longer drive manual, I don't do track and I am not interested in ability pass someone at 80mph. YMMV, of course.

I like BMW handling and good feel of steering compared to A6. A6 provides way too much assist. It is getting better with speed, but in typical 25-40mph commute A6 feels more like Buick. In fact, when I began shopping for AWD luxury sedan back in December, I considered A6 as my first choice. Drove it twice, tried 530i and xi and like BMW better. However, $6000 is a good money. I'll see how much I hate A6 after a day of driving.
Old 03-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by uglybear' post='406248' date='Mar 23 2007, 09:31 PM
In fact, I ordered 535xi originally with late April delivery but then I test drove 335i steptronic twice and didn't like turbo at all. I canceled 535 order and moved to 07 530 while they were still available. Thanks, but turbo is not for me. I don't care about nice whitepapers, charts, theoretical technology wonders or magazine articles or 0-60 times. I do care though how pleasant is it to drive in my daily commute. I no longer drive manual, I don't do track and I am not interested in ability pass someone at 80mph. YMMV, of course.

I like BMW handling and good feel of steering compared to A6. A6 provides way too much assist. It is getting better with speed, but in typical 25-40mph commute A6 feels more like Buick. In fact, when I began shopping for AWD luxury sedan back in December, I considered A6 as my first choice. Drove it twice, tried 530i and xi and like BMW better. However, $6000 is a good money. I'll see how much I hate A6 after a day of driving.
Ah you also ordered 535. I see. IMHO, I'd rather pass Camrys than the other way round.

A 335 might not be a good proxy for 535. Too much torque? The 5er is usually smoother and the greater weight/width/wheelbase combine for a more docile feel.

IMHO the A6 won't dissappoint and its a good car. It just won't excite or create the grins every time you pull the door handle.

CVT Benhogan