The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

S4 vs. 530

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys think? I am in the market for a new ride. I test drove both, and I wasn't impressed with the perfomance of 530. So I was leaning toward S4 until I heard about new R6 engine comes available soon. Now vacilliating again.
Would you get current S4 right now( I don't mean new S4. I don't like new huge grill) or wait till new 530 will be available? Since I can get pretty good deal on S4 these days in so.cal and assume new 530 won't get much discounts at the beginning, price difference would range ~$5000. Well could be less if i do ED.
When do you think new 530 will hit showroom? Is it worth waiting? The problem is I need my new ride by April or May.
I know I can get little biased opinion here, but can't deny S4 is such a nice car.
Please help me decide ! ! !

Happy new year!
Old 01-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Well, those 2 cars are very different. The S4 is a powerhouse. I love the grunt it has. Handling is great. I drove the S4 convertible and loved it. It is a lot smaller, though than a 530.
Also, I didn't want to buy an "old" car. I don't like the new look of the A4/S4/A6, etc. either, but I didn't want to buy the current model, which will be the "old" model in 6 months from now. If I spent $50K on a car, I want it to be the latest and greatest for a little while longer.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

First of all welcome at the forum.

S4 and 530 are in a very different league. If you want a sportscar get the S4 (the ride is harsh I've heard). If you want comfort and long distance car get the 530..
Old 01-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

Wow?that?s a tough decision but a good problem to have,

For me it would come down to space?if you?re a person with kids or someone that will be regularly caring someone in the backseat?then you need the E60, the B6 is just too small in the back (trust me I know I had 4).

If you don?t care about the backseat then I think it?s going to come down to driving style, size and what you want from a car. Highway luxury with sportiness mixed in with prestige (if you care), E60. If you want something smaller that halls ass and fly?s low under the radar then the B6 S4. In SoCal is Quattro a need?? We have an allroad (wife's ride) and I love the full time 4wd when we go in the mountains but that?s not too often?and I?m thrilled to be driving my E60 day in and day out

Ps-keep in mind the B7 is more than just a grill it?s a new front end, a new rear end along with new interior upgrades...but the B6 S4's were cheap in late '04 but have gone up in '05 (lease wise)...if you're leasing the numbers will be close if you're paying cash they (the numbers) will be closer
Old 01-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

You need to compare Audi 6s to the 5 series and Audi 4s to the 3 series. IMO you should be comparing an S4 to an M3, and the A4 to the 330i.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Jan 8 2005, 04:13 PM
You need to compare Audi 6s to the 5 series and Audi 4s to the 3 series.? IMO you should be comparing an S4 to an M3,? and the A4 to the 330i.
[snapback]77234[/snapback]
no more coupe for me. so I excluded M3. Plus isn't M3 ride too harsh compared those two?
Old 01-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Alpine white with auburn interior; tip, xenon, pdc, sirius, prem, cold weather, red reflectors and xpel.

The s4 is a really nice car, great performance and exc. recaros. Its also pretty stealthy with non-car people not realizing its different than an A4. As other have said, rear passenger space is abysmal. My 5 yo. feet would be pressed on the back of seat.

The 530's performance can't compare, albeit it has its one of the best in its category. It will ride nicer and have more space. Even with the increase in HP coming, the S4 was designed for harder use. I found the s4 to be more daily driving friendly than an m3, but more sporty than either a 5 series or a6.

I think you need to decide what you need and want. The 5 series is an excellent choice if you want a bigger car with exc. dynamics. The s4 is the better choice is for want a sports car.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by macct' date='Jan 8 2005, 05:47 PM
The s4 is a really nice car, great performance and exc. recaros.? Its also pretty stealthy with non-car people not realizing its different than an A4.? As other have said, rear passenger space is abysmal.? My 5 yo. feet would be pressed on the back of seat.?

The 530's performance can't compare, albeit it has its one of the best in its category.? It will ride nicer and have more space.? Even with the increase in HP coming, the S4 was designed for harder use.? I found the s4 to be more daily driving friendly than an m3, but more sporty than either a 5 series or a6.? ? ? ? ?

I think you need to decide what you need and want.? The 5 series is an excellent choice if you want a bigger car with exc. dynamics.? The s4 is the better choice is for want a sports car.
[snapback]77246[/snapback]
I know, more gas mileage and greater cost. BUT.... many people who want a loaded 530 with SP have made the jump to the 545i. It seems than in addition to the V8 and 100 extra HP it comes standard with many options that make the addional cost only about $6k. When you want the power and the comfort and are looking at a 10% price increase on the car I think the 545i is the car for you.

Many 530 owners just do not need and cannot justify the extra HP. But if you want it why not spend the extra $6k or few dollars per month and get the utimate driving machine.

DO IT!
Old 01-08-2005, 09:02 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, kidd0223 ! 530 is a sport luxury car and s4 is more a sport car. hard to do any comparison. if you don't want another coupe, do consider a 330 with performance pkg. it's very close to m3's performance but a 4-door sedan. but if you have to pick between a s4 and 530, i'd definitely go with the 530 .
Old 01-08-2005, 09:08 PM
Members

My Ride: MY 2004 545i; April build; 6 speed; silver grey metalic; black leather; poplar; sport package; cold weather; active steering; xenons .

alohalc and hormazd are right. The S4 and 530 are apples and oranges.

Quick Reply: S4 vs. 530