The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Porsche Panamera? Is it going to steal BMW market share?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='546329' date='Mar 17 2008, 11:50 AM
When car companies start making compromises on their missions in order to attract more buyers, someone loses out: the original brand enthusiasts.
I fear this is the direction BMW is heading toward. I have been critical of BMW's use of technology in the current generation of cars (save for the 3 series) to broaden the comfort envelope while merely sustaining performance capabilities. I expect a manufacturer like Mercedes to use innovations to improve comfort. BMW is moving more toward a compromised middle ground, which logically should provide for greater market share in the short term. But the pack always follows its leader(s). So if BMW's automobiles become too comfort oriented, large and heavy for the core group of BMW enthusiasts, the BMW brand's coveted status amongst mainstream luxury car buyers as producers of the ultimate driving machine could sustain a possibly fatal blow in the long run. Look at Mercedes, long revered for reliability beyond reproach. In only a few years, cost cutting measures to increase profits produced reliability records so poor that eventually a campaign was launched to advertise the restoration of quality and reliability. The cheap, turned out to be expensive... If BMW tries to build a car that everyone likes, no one will like it.

Personally, I think the 7 series is an accurate barometer of how sporty the rest of the line is. Let's see how 'dynamic' the new one is going to be...

BTW, I really enjoyed your response to the cayenne post.

DRP
Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='546387' date='Mar 17 2008, 02:26 PM
I fear this is the direction BMW is heading toward. I have been critical of BMW's use of technology in the current generation of cars (save for the 3 series) to broaden the comfort envelope while merely sustaining performance capabilities. I expect a manufacturer like Mercedes to use innovations to improve comfort. BMW is moving more toward a compromised middle ground, which logically should provide for greater market share in the short term. But the pack always follows its leader(s). So if BMW's automobiles become too comfort oriented, large and heavy for the core group of BMW enthusiasts, the BMW brand's coveted status amongst mainstream luxury car buyers as producers of the ultimate driving machine could sustain a possibly fatal blow in the long run. Look at Mercedes, long revered for reliability beyond reproach. In only a few years, cost cutting measures to increase profits produced reliability records so poor that eventually a campaign was launched to advertise the restoration of quality and reliability. The cheap, turned out to be expensive... If BMW tries to build a car that everyone likes, no one will like it.

Personally, I think the 7 series is an accurate barometer of how sporty the rest of the line is. Let's see how 'dynamic' the new one is going to be...

BTW, I really enjoyed your response to the cayenne post.

DRP
Thank you. The other downside to the increase in the "comfort envelope" you mentioned is that the cars have so many things controlled by computers and electronics that no one wants to own one out of warranty. I really think I would rather have an out of warranty E39 M5 vs. an E60 M5, or an E46 M3 vs. an E9X M3 just because there are less things to go wrong. Same reason I would rather have a stick than an SMG. SMG may be the greatest thing in the world, but there are a million more things that could go wrong with it than a plain-jane stick shift. Even more, my local mechanic wouldn't even touch an SMG transmission if something did go wrong, whereas I am sure he would feel comfortable with a standard transmission. It's not just BMW, however. All car makers are making it very difficult to view current cars as "classics" that you could keep for 20 or 30 years in your "stable."
Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='546408' date='Mar 17 2008, 02:22 PM
Thank you. The other downside to the increase in the "comfort envelope" you mentioned is that the cars have so many things controlled by computers and electronics that no one wants to own one out of warranty. I really think I would rather have an out of warranty E39 M5 vs. an E60 M5, or an E46 M3 vs. an E9X M3 just because there are less things to go wrong. Same reason I would rather have a stick than an SMG. SMG may be the greatest thing in the world, but there are a million more things that could go wrong with it than a plain-jane stick shift. Even more, my local mechanic wouldn't even touch an SMG transmission if something did go wrong, whereas I am sure he would feel comfortable with a standard transmission. It's not just BMW, however. All car makers are making it very difficult to view current cars as "classics" that you could keep for 20 or 30 years in your "stable."

Guys , pull your heads out of the sand ! I've owned an X5 V8 for almost 4 years and the DNA is as much BMW as anything in their lineup. The X5 was never designed as an off roader ! It's a road car ! If you have a lifestyle that requires a utility vehicle and you don't want to compromise on drive , the X5 is awesome (so is the Cayenne ). You can't stop progress . And in todays world technology is progress, don't for an instant believe the E 39 did'nt have some serious technology too. I agree how much computers can assist AND cause problems, Hell I'm probably a poster boy for the issue given my current circumstances . BMW has produced a more PURE car with the 135 and we should all be happy about it. I drove an e39 540 for 4 years and was very retiscent to trade it for an E60 but I would 'nt go back now. I doubt BMW's strategic plan eliminates future opportunities based on the consumer realities of today , the company will evolve just like we have . Don't slam it , embrace it !! as always IMHO
Old 03-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by swajames' post='545987' date='Mar 16 2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the link ,what a great comparison.What is the price difference of the 2 vehicles ??
Old 03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='546621' date='Mar 17 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the link ,what a great comparison.What is the price difference of the 2 vehicles ??

so would you take the GTS or the X5? I totally would want the Tourag GTS.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='546642' date='Mar 17 2008, 10:17 PM
so would you take the GTS or the X5? I totally would want the Tourag GTS.

For the price I'm probably still on the X5 team, we have lots of Cayennes around here and I think the practicality/value issue would be my key determining issue............... but I really love ther new Hyundai
Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='546615' date='Mar 17 2008, 06:21 PM
Guys , pull your heads out of the sand ! I've owned an X5 V8 for almost 4 yeasrs and the DNA is as much BMW as anything in their lineup. The X5 was never designed as an off roader !It's a road car ! If you have a lifestyle that requires a utility vehicle and you don't want to compromise on drive , the X5 is awesome (so is the Cayenne ). You can't stop progress and in todays world technology is progress, don't for an instant believe the E 39 did'nt have some serious technology too. I agree how much computers can assist AND cause problem ,. hell I'm probably a poster boy for the issue given my current circumstances . BMW has produced a more PURE car with the 135 and we should all be happy about it. I drove an e39 540 for 4 years and was very retiscent to trade it for an E60 but I would 'nt go back now. I doubt BMW's strategic plan eliminates future opportunities based on the consumer realities of today , the company will evolve just like we have . Don't slam it , embrace it !! as always IMHO
+1. Totally agree
Old 03-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='546621' date='Mar 17 2008, 05:31 PM
If I have it right the X5 4.8 is around 55K and the GTS is close to 70K in the US. That's a pretty significant premium for the Cayenne. The X5 is an amazing value, although I do think the Cayenne justifies much of the premium. I've not been able to sit in or drive a GTS yet, the reviews are stellar but still that's a big pretty difference - and you can't get the third row of seats in the Cayenne.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Originally Posted by swajames' post='546654' date='Mar 17 2008, 09:43 PM
If I have it right the X5 4.8 is around 55K and the GTS is close to 70K in the US. That's a pretty significant premium for the Cayenne. The X5 is an amazing value, although I do think the Cayenne justifies much of the premium. I've not been able to sit in or drive a GTS yet, the reviews are stellar but still that's a big pretty difference - and you can't get the third row of seats in the Cayenne.

Typical X5 4.8's with popular options range from 63k+. I was looking at the Cayenne S and researched the GTS. In the end I got the 4.8, I think it takes the cayenne S/GTS in terms of value, options, and tech goodies. GTS pricing comes so close to the turbo it just doesnt make sense to me. And honestly I dont see the point in paying close to 100k on an SUV because it goes fast when there are so many other options out there.

In regards to the Panamera, its definitly not compared to a 5series by the looks of the pics and data. Im real excited about this car I think its going to steal a chunk out of the CLS buyers for sure. A silver panamera with some 22inch super deep mesh wheels mMMmmmm
Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Members

I think the Panamera is a different target market than say a 550. That is not making a judgement as to which is better, but I believe the market place to some degree holds the CLS, Quatroporte, and those a bit more up market from the 550. I think there might be some people in the 5 series who move "up" to a Panamera (and I only say "up" because we all know the Panamera will be $$$$ to the 5 being $$). ASton Martin is bringing a sedan to the marketplace as well so I would think the Panamera, CLS, Quattroporte and the Aston are going to be fighting for that upper end sport sedan. I see the 550, EClass, Jag and Lexus firmly entrenched in their place as luxury sport sedans. Maybe call the other super premium sport sedan or something. Point is I am not sure they are direct competitors from a price point. My conclusion is the 5 will always be king as long as BMW continues to do what they do best which is build the car they believe in their hearts to lead the segment.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera? Is it going to steal BMW market share?