The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...
View Poll Results: Which car would you pick based on my situation?
2008 BMW 550i
17.43%
2006/7 M5
36.70%
2007 Audi RS4
6.42%
2008 Audi S5
9.17%
2008 M3
24.77%
2006/7 Audi S6
1.83%
2005/6 M3 Competition
3.67%
2007 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
1.83%
2008 Mercedes C63
8.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Pick my Next Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple topic, help me pick out my next car

A little background: I currently drive a mildly modified 2005 Subaru Legacy GT (which is for sale if anyone is interested). With the small suspension tweaks and exhaust modifications the car is a true blast to drive. I went and test-drove the 335i, 370z, and G37 back to back, and my car was a nice balance of all three and one of the most entertaining to drive. I would keep the car but I have really just outgrown it and I have had it for 4 years. I love it to death....but its just time for something a little different and more luxurious.

Additional information: I am 6'4 200 lbs, which is why I am leaning towards the 550i or M5. Also, I am single with no kids, and will be for at least 3+ years <KNOCKS ON WOOD> . Gas mileage does not matter because in <6 months I will be able to walk (or bus) to work so this would be a pure pleasure and weekend car with a few road trips thrown in. I also love to play golf so fitting clubs in the back seat or trunk is a factor as well.

Note:The list is currently how I prioritize them

1.2008 BMW 550i
2. 2006/7 M5
3. 2007 Audi RS4
4. 2008 Audi S5
5. 2008 M3
6. 2006/7 Audi S6
7. 2005/6 M3 Competition (with low mileage)
8. 2007 BMW X5 4.8l Sport
9. 2008 Mercedes C63

A short description of your rationale for your vote would be helpful, especially if you have owned them, driven them, and/or know a friend who owns one (or two!)

If you have experience with any of the other vehicles as well, please give a brief synopsis (both positive and negative)

If I left anything off please add it to the list. But Keep in mind my upper limited budget is $38k (Street Price), and the car must be pre-owned because I am buying the car at a dealer auction

Also, try not to be too biased to BMW's, as hard as that might be
Old 12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I voted for the 2007 M5 - that would be my choice given my situation: Married, 2 kids = no M3. I have never been a fan of Audi designs so that went off my list. The C63 AMG is a great car and fun to drive, but still a little small for me (I am 6'4" 250). I wouldn't get a 2006 M5 because that was the first production year and I would NEVER buy the first year of any car no matter how great.

So essentially my list is about the same as yours:
1. 2007 M5 - fantastic car will put a smile on your face every time
2.2008 BMW 550i - almost as good, greatr car and good for families and business lunches
3. 2007 Audi RS4 - not a bad car, but oh so boring design
4. 2008 Audi S5 - see above
5. 2008 M3 - beautiful car, the epitome of what a sports sedan should be, however, it is small and no one can sit behind you (if your legs are long like mine)
6. 2006/7 Audi S6 - YAWN
7. 2005/6 M3 Competition (with low mileage) - see #5
8. 2007 BMW X5 4.8l Sport - love this one, but more for my wife, I love the feel of a good sporty sedan and no SUV not even this one can give me that
9. 2008 Mercedes C63 - another fantastic, but slightly too small for me car.

Good luck with your search
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1070482' date='Dec 8 2009, 06:17 PM
I voted for the 2007 M5 - that would be my choice given my situation: Married, 2 kids = no M3. I have never been a fan of Audi designs so that went off my list. The C63 AMG is a great car and fun to drive, but still a little small for me (I am 6'4" 250). I wouldn't get a 2006 M5 because that was the first production year and I would NEVER buy the first year of any car no matter how great.

Good luck with your search
I just added that I am single and fairly young, so I do not think I will have a wife or kids for another 3+ years .

Thank you for such a great write-up that is exactly what I am looking for in this thread!

I love the 2008 BMW 550i but as weird as it sounds I feel like I need a more impractical car for this stage in my life, because I may never get this chance again (you know what I mean . Even with that being said, that is still the car I am most likely to get unless I some how find my way into a 2006/7 BMW M5.......
Old 12-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Contributors

M5 FTW.....
Old 12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Some very different options there, VTGT. If you can live with the loss of space compared to the 550/M5 then the Audi RS4, the M3 or the C63 would be my choices. I also wouldn't rule out the S6 assuming the V10 engined model is the one you're talking about. I test drove one and it is a much misunderstood car - the performance is very strong, the luxury content is high and that V10 engine is just spectacular. Bottom line is that all of the options here should be of interest - frankly, I don't see a bad choice on your shortllist...
Old 12-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1070527' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:58 PM
Some very different options there, VTGT. If you can live with the loss of space compared to the 550/M5 then the Audi RS4, the M3 or the C63 would be my choices. I also wouldn't rule out the S6 assuming the V10 engined model is the one you're talking about. I test drove one and it is a much misunderstood car - the performance is very strong, the luxury content is high and that V10 engine is just spectacular. Bottom line is that all of the options here should be of interest - frankly, I don't see a bad choice on your shortllist...
That is a good response. The RS4 and S6 are both sneaky and rare (especially the RS) which is why I like them! The only problem is the RS4 is dated looks wise, the engine still has the new FSI technology. What the Audi's do have going for them is the AWD and I am from the Northeast and I like skiing not that the RS4 should ever see snow though

So between the RS4, M3, and C63 which would you chose if you had to and why?!? Which cars on my list have you driven and can comment on the overall experience of the car.

I have good taste in cars I guess
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1070540' date='Dec 8 2009, 05:34 PM
That is a good response. The RS4 and S6 are both sneaky and rare (especially the RS) which is why I like them! The only problem is the RS4 is dated looks wise, the engine still has the new FSI technology. What the Audi's do have going for them is the AWD and I am from the Northeast and I like skiing not that the RS4 should ever see snow though

So between the RS4, M3, and C63 which would you chose if you had to and why?!? Which cars on my list have you driven and can comment on the overall experience of the car.

I have good taste in cars I guess
You do indeed have good taste in cars my friend.

If I had to choose just one of the three you highlight it would be pretty tough. I've not spent as much time in the C63, but all three have something unique to offer:

RS4 - incredible engine, very aggressive exhaust note, rear-bias AWD (probably the best suited of the three to the Northeast in this respect), excellent interior, Audi ergonomics.
M3 - best handling of the bunch, great engine, most body style choices.
C63 - essentially the same strong points as the RS4 (other than it being RWD and not AWD).

If I had to choose just one, I'd personally struggle to choose between the RS4 or the C63. My main reason for dropping the M3 first relates to nothing more than it being the "default" choice in its class. I like something a little different, and in this respect the Audi and MB are the less-obvious but no less capable choices. Out here in the Bay Area I'd probably go for the C63, for you in the Northeast I'd probably go for the RS4, primarily as you get the performance and prestige you want, but coupled with the added security of a very reliable and very capable AWD system.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

For me, it'd be between the E46 and E92 M3 and the RS4.

The RS4 has the engine from the V8 R8 and it's just an incredible looking car. You'll be manual though, I think, so no DCT goodness from the new M3.

The E46 is old enough that, now, mods are relatively inexpensive. You could have a monster very easily, especially with the Horsepower Freaks tuning stuff.

The new M3... it's nice, but I've preferred the E46 M3s over the new ones.

The other cars on that list don't interest me as much as these cars do.

Is a CTS-V or a 'vette out of the question? I've never been a fan of GM, but these two cars are definitely extraordinary ones and deserve some consideration.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1070596' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:45 PM
You do indeed have good taste in cars my friend.

If I had to choose just one of the three you highlight it would be pretty tough. I've not spent as much time in the C63, but all three have something unique to offer:

RS4 - incredible engine, very aggressive exhaust note, rear-bias AWD (probably the best suited of the three to the Northeast in this respect), excellent interior, Audi ergonomics.
M3 - best handling of the bunch, great engine, most body style choices.
C63 - essentially the same strong points as the RS4 (other than it being RWD and not AWD).

If I had to choose just one, I'd personally struggle to choose between the RS4 or the C63. My main reason for dropping the M3 first relates to nothing more than it being the "default" choice in its class. I like something a little different, and in this respect the Audi and MB are the less-obvious but no less capable choices. Out here in the Bay Area I'd probably go for the C63, for you in the Northeast I'd probably go for the RS4, primarily as you get the performance and prestige you want, but coupled with the added security of a very reliable and very capable AWD system.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
What you said about the RS4 was exactly what I was thinking. The resale of the value of the RS4 will probably be pretty good as well

The reason I loved my Legacy GT is there were none on the road especially for the first two years I owned it. I guess if I want an AWD car the RS4 is a no brainer, but otherwise it would be hard to beat the M3 performance.

Again, The problem with the M3 is everyone and their mom has one in my area (DC Metropolitan). M5 is more rare but RS4 is definitely the rarest car I mentioned, and probably the most practical for golf clubs, snowboarding, and track time
Old 12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Members

I left one car off the list. The misunderstood 2007 Audi S6

While the 435 hp number does not stand out, the almost 400 wheel TQ from the Lambo V10 @ 3000 RPM to redline, coupled with Quattro, and it almost gets 20 mpg to boot on the highway.

On paper the S6 sounds like a good mix of all of the cars I listed (maybe except for the X5)

However it may be a little pricer than a 2006 M5.......

Quick Reply: Pick my Next Car