The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

New Audi A6

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my view any of them (MB/BM/Audi) makes a fine purchase, I'd even place the jag not far off the pace now that they have made revisions to the interior quality and external styling.

My personal preference is for the e60, I like the modernist look and innovative technology, I am not into the retro look of the jag or "house styling" of the MB. The Audi comes closest on looks but I actually preferred the previous shape, the front grill looks out of place, a lonely styling flourish on an otherwise functional shape.

I haven't had an issue with the quality of the e60 interior, I think that if you purchase the advanced air con you avoid the rotary ventilation knobs that have come in for so much criticism. The only other flakey piece is the cupholder, but I never use this so it's not a problem for me personally.

As far as noise supression, handling and ride go, i think the e60 has it - but it's a close call.

Finally, I whole-heartedly agree with the point that you have got to go with your own view, not what motoring journalists write. I honestly think that you need time with the e60, longer than normal, to get accustomed to the controls, iDrive in particular. Once past this "barrier" all the other pros shine through, sometimes I think that techno-phobic motoring journalist vent their fustration with not being able to grasp new technology on the car rather than admit they need to move on and learn a new skill.....Sorry, I am going on rather

jonboy
Old 08-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Wink

Thanks for all the input.

I was really only looking for some information for/against the A6 that possibly I hadn't seen before.

Honestly, my heart is with the E60. I really love the look , performance and features.

My head however has me worried after reading the posisble depreciation of the E60 which I attribute to the love it/hate it styling.

I will only keep this vehicle 12-18 months and the resale values plays a big factor in my decision.

That is why I started considering the A6.

If there is a minimal difference in depreciation between the two, then I will defintely choose the E60. However, if the A6 looks to be a better investment than I might have to follow my head instead of my heart.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:46 AM

I've driven VW/Audi's for the last 22 years (82 Scirocco, 86 Coupe GT, 94 A4 Quattro, 01 A6 2.7T Quattro) and I just bought a 545. I've been on a the track a few times, and performance is critical for me. I've always loved Audi's and I think they are making some of the best cars in the world right now. They are beautiful, especially inside, and the quality and craftsmanship is the best in the business. They are a blast to drive, and if you drive where it snows a lot there is no better car.

There are only two negatives I would point out. One is the repair costs and reliability are astronomical once you are out of warrantee. Two is the resale value is not good.

I bought the BMW over the new A6 because I wanted the best handling and most fun to drive sedan I could buy. it doesn't snow a lot here, so it was a pretty simple decision for me.

You won't be dissapointed with either one!
Old 08-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

Not much to add on the car front, as already said at this level, it's a matter of taste.

However I don't know if the second hand market is the same in the Netherlands but in the UK you will definitely lose more on the resale of the Audi A6 over the equivalent BMW.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Aug 1 2004, 11:33 AM
I will only keep this vehicle 12-18 months and the resale values plays a big factor in my decision.
I like the 12 to 18 mnths changing.. unfortunately this is financialy not acceptable for me..