The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Me and Jeremy Clarkson

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 2005 535d Sport, Carbon Black, 19" M-light Double Spoke 172 8J Alloys, Media Package, Bi-Xenons, Heated seats, Black Dakota leather, Sun protection glass.

Hello all,
Hope you're well. A few weeks ago I logged onto the Top Gear website and noticed a little ad inviting for people who owned a either a BMW, Audi or Mercedes and were looking to possibly to change their cars, to test drive a new ?35,000 'mystery car'. The idea was given the budget would, you ditch your premium model for this new car. We were to discuss this on camera.

The car in question was Vauxhall's new VXR8. The replacement for the Monaro, in essence a Holden Commodore Clubsport. It's a four door 411bhp monster;
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_drive.p...e=1&sid=745

The venue was the Top Gear test track in Guildford. There were 6 testers in all. They were complete petrol heads - I thought I knew a lot. I was first up for the test which was a quick lap with Mr Clarkson followed by a quick lap on my own. With the other 'contestants' waiting outside, I got into the the bright blue car with a bit of apprehension expecting to be blasted for owning a BMW and not a Lambourghini (like his - pic attached). What a surprise - he was an absolutely top guy, he kept apologising for the delays etc, was I comfortable? How far had I come? I did say that "I'm sorry, Jeremy, I'm not a hard core petrol head!". He replied smiling, "Why do you think I'm sitting in the car!?" It made me laugh. He asked what car I had, I told him with abbaited breath...535d Sport, he kind of nodded and acknowledged BMW had got better with the equipment of late. But said for the ?35,000 was this not a good car. I don't disagree there.

After the small talk, we got down to business. The VXR8 sounded amazing, going around the track with the backside trailing - it felt scary but 'ol JC had it well under control. Then with the car at 45 degress and one hand on the steering wheel, asked about what I though about the car and would I buy it. Suffice to say, it was difficult but we slowed down and discussed it further.

I got out, with the my ears tingling but with a big smile on my face. We broke for lunch, with a test drive to follow afterwards. After an OK 'BBC' lunch I got into the VXR8. This car is absolutely amazing, sounds amazing, massive brakes, great road holding, I was just revving just to hear the orchestra of noise. A great car. Would I buy this with my money? My answer on the day was no - but for a car with M5 power that will kill/scare off most cars on the road for ?35,000? I'm somewhat swayed. The strange thing is if we're going for the exclusivity route - it's more of a rarity than an M5 or M6 with only 350 only coming to the UK, It's the working man's M5.

All in all a great day, surreal to say the least. Jeremy Clarkson, the producers, and the backroom staff were brilliant. I'm back on the show in October for further feedback. I'm attaching some pics.

Grafiker.
Attached Thumbnails Me and Jeremy Clarkson-jc_lambo01.jpg   Me and Jeremy Clarkson-jc_lambo02.jpg   Me and Jeremy Clarkson-tg_limos01.jpg   Me and Jeremy Clarkson-tg_limos02.jpg   Me and Jeremy Clarkson-tg_lunch.jpg  

Old 06-17-2007, 12:31 PM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Sounds like a great day! He got his Lambo with orange seats just like he said!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

Glad you had such a brill day and that JC still mixes with the masses!
Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Top Gear was on here in the states for a season, but hasn't been on lately. Its a great auto show, Jeremy Clarkson is very funny. The Vauxhall looks some what like a Mitsubishi.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Is that a pack of smokes in the passenger footwell? Haha, I thought Jeremy had quit smoking, seeing that he admitting trying to quit on that episode where the Stig crashed the Koenigsegg CCX:
Old 06-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 2005 535d Sport, Carbon Black, 19" M-light Double Spoke 172 8J Alloys, Media Package, Bi-Xenons, Heated seats, Black Dakota leather, Sun protection glass.

Hi Roleez,
Yes, well spotted he did smell of cigarettes. But I guess the tyre smoke masks that well. I got a cheque for $100 for my troubles too!

G