The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

MB recalls 1.3 million cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - U.S.-German carmaker DaimlerChrysler is recalling 1.3 million Mercedes cars as it tries to fix quality woes that are riddling its German luxury car division, it said Thursday.

GOD I am glad I didn't buy another MB. The merge was MB worst mistake. So sad...
Old 03-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Members

I have purchased both Mercedes and BMW over the past 15 years.
I couldn't resist buying the SL500 when it first came out, but was truly disappointed the first year of ownership due to nitpicking problems. My last service a few months ago was the recall concerning the electronic/hydraulic brakes. They had to update the software to cure some issues. I picked up the car and got a half mile from the dealership and then lost all brake function. It took two days to determine the software revision didn't take. Great car in many ways e.g., the active suspension is great...

I'm not sure what the problems are at Mercedes (i have thoughts), but their quality control/engineering problems have become well known now. Sales seem to be suffering. As you said, so sad...

i still won't really consider a Lexus (to isolated from road feel), but a drove a friend's MB S500 and Lexus LS430 back-to-back recently, and the lexus put the MB to shame as far as an overall feeling of quality. All and all, thank god for BMW.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='Mar 31 2005, 12:22 PM
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - U.S.-German carmaker DaimlerChrysler is recalling 1.3 million Mercedes cars as it tries to fix quality woes that are riddling its German luxury car division, it said Thursday.

GOD I am glad I didn't buy another MB.? The merge was MB worst mistake.? So sad...
[snapback]109317[/snapback]
Do you think Chrysler is to blame for the quality problems of Mercedes-Benz?

Mercedes-Benz is to blame for their own quality problems.

BMWs don't have the build quality that they used to...

http://members.roadfly.com/jason/m3engines.htm

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/bmw.html

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls04/2...mw_heaters.html

Heck, BMW is even considering making a sport wagon. Read this from autoweek.com

BMW considering sport wagon; goal to boost space without sacrificing performance
DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News
Posted Date: 10/5/04
PARIS -- BMW won't build a minivan, but it is still considering vehicles that offer the interior room of a minivan.

Helmut Panke, CEO of BMW, says the automaker "will never bring a minivan" to the market. But it is looking at concepts for roomier vehicles that would not sacrifice BMW performance, he says.

One such vehicle could offer a "comfortable business-lounge environment," without the standard three rows of seats. Another vehicle under consideration is a sport wagon.

"It would have some coupe aspects together with something that is on an SUV or SAV (sport activity vehicle) platform," Panke says.

He would not say when BMW is likely to make a decision.

BMW uses the term "space functional concept" for its new vehicles, which could come in more than one size.

Mercedes-Benz has taken a similar approach with its R-Class sport wagon.

A short-wheelbase version will be sold in Europe, and the United States will get a longer wheelbase model.

Panke says the major difference between the vehicles BMW is studying and competing sport wagons is that the competition "just offers space."

"Any BMW brand solution will not just offer space," he says. "It has to be a driver's car. It has to be a dynamically handling car."

Burkhard Goeschel, BMW board member responsible for research, development and purchasing, says BMW envisions a seating position for the vehicle at a height somewhere between a passenger car and an SUV.

"The seating position characterizes the car much more than other things," Goeschel says.

BMW is not focusing on the number of seats, he adds: "It is not a people mover."
Old 04-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Contributors

So what's your point?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:38 AM

Chrylser isn't to blame for the quality problems that Mercedes-Benz is having now.

Also, perhaps BMW is trying to be more things to more people... or at least thinking about it. A BMW couldn't get any more lame if it was a "sport wagon."
Old 04-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Contributors

Ok