The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

M45 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 03:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

I have an Infiniti G35 coupe and though I realize the M45/35 is a definate step up I really didn't want a second Infiniti in the garage.

Again, emphasis that I know the M is better but Infiniti cut corners on the G in ways that made me hesitant to buy a second Nissan product. Living with the G day in day out, you realize they put the money in the drivetrain and really nowhere else. Their motors are the real deal, no question but there's a reason they can get that level of performance at the price point they do.

I'm not saying I won't but another Infiniti someday, I just didn't want a garage full of all that plastic. But maybe it's just me...
Old 02-19-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BurgessMW' date='Feb 19 2005, 07:58 AM
Again, emphasis that I know the M is better but Infiniti cut corners on the G in ways that made me hesitant to buy a second Nissan product.? Living with the G day in day out, you realize they put the money in the drivetrain and really nowhere else.? Their motors are the real deal, no question but there's a reason they can get that level of performance at the price point they do.

I'm not saying I won't but another Infiniti someday, I just didn't want a garage full of all that plastic.? But maybe it's just me...
[snapback]92084[/snapback]
Agreed. Nissan/Infiniti has one very well developed V6 that they have tuned/engineered for a wide variety of cars and trucks (including, among others, the Maxima, 350Z, Altima and G35) -- with all of the engineering work in this engine, it was a simple, cost effective process to develop a good drivetrain to sell a the G35 price points and still remain profitable.

Unfortunately (for Infiniti), it would have to invest a lot more $$ to engineer and develop the rest of the automobile, which it cannot do at the moment and still remain profitable. Thus, we see a very gradual evolution of prior platforms, like the M and Q, to be more BMW-like => note that neither Infiniti nor Lexus has selected a MB, Audi or Jaguar to copy, but instead have selected the e60 as their design target.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 E90 M3

I agree with BurgessMW. Performance/driving wise, the Infinitis are good, but however you can really tell why they are so cheap $$. I have an FX45 and the type of materials used inside is barely any better than the very first generation Merc MLs. I looked at the Lexus GS at the TO autoshow, and I'd rather have the GS430 over M45...the materials Lexus uses in the interior is many steps above Infiniti, dare I say even on par with BMW.

Personally I would never buy another Infiniti, I'm sick of their service department, I've had my FX go in 4 times to fix things the technicians break.. Infiniti has quite a long way to go if they want to steal customers that appreciate and can afford the cost-quality of a BMW.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Scott

I would take the M45 hands down. If the M45 had a BMW badge, it would sell so much better. The price difference isn't worth a the badge. M45 has more luxury equipment and DAMN its smooth. Considering performance driving is less than 20% of the overall experience, the M45 is better balanced (even though it goes 0-60 in 5.3 which is quick as hell). As for styling, I do not like new BMWs. After 2002, its been going downhill. Interiors are boring and exteriors are no longer refined to the level they were. As for material quality, the M45 is excellent. People have knocked Infiniti's mainly for the G35s poor interiors; plastic aluminum trim and cheap interior components (which the 2005 model has shaped up quite nicely). I know 4 people now who have purchased a BMW without test-driving any other cars...regardless of how good they may be, they went to BMW and only BMW because of the three very prestigious name. I would like to see where BMW and Infiniti would stand if they switched badges.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:25 PM

The M45 would be the best choice now when compared to the 545i. Mainly because of the pricing and options that the M45 offers, but the M45 was very recently introduced. The 5er has been out for a couple years already. But rumor says that BMW will be pushing out the 550i in the near future. The M45 will once again have to catch the benchmark the 5-series has been creating for the last decade or so. And sure, people buy BMW partly because of the badge. There is a reason... First, BMW has a long heritage of cars and has been in the market for decades and know what they are doing. Second, the quality of BMWs are clearly associated with the badge. Their lineup is obviously much larger than Infiniti's. I'm pretty sure sales of BMWs are much higher than Infiniti, but if in the future that reverses then it is obvious BMWs are lacking in quality. But it doesn't seem like it at all with the current sales statistics. It is clear that the majority of people would rather buy a BMW than an Infiniti by simply looking around at a parking complex. There are much more BMWs than Infinitis on the street. I wonder why... For now, the M45 is the better deal.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alpineweiss' date='Feb 19 2005, 10:09 PM
I agree with BurgessMW. Performance/driving wise, the Infinitis are good, but however you can really tell why they are so cheap $$. I have an FX45 and the type of materials used inside is barely any better than the very first generation Merc MLs. I looked at the Lexus GS at the TO autoshow, and I'd rather have the GS430 over M45...the materials Lexus uses in the interior is many steps above Infiniti, dare I say even on par with BMW.
[snapback]92295[/snapback]
I've been driving a FX35 for about 4-5 months now, and I very much enjoy it over the LX470 that it replaced. They are really different automobiles and while the lexus may have better quality and materials, the drive of the smaller infiniti more than makes up for it. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really notice what the dash and other parts are made of.

BTW, don't you feel that the FX has better quality leather and seats compared to the e60 (I have sports seats and dakota leather myself)?

Oh and I don't know how the 6 and 8 cylinder engines of the FX compare, but do you find that your FX is more rev-happy than your e60?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by heezy545i' date='Mar 7 2005, 04:35 AM
[quote name='alpineweiss' date='Feb 19 2005, 10:09 PM']I agree with BurgessMW. Performance/driving wise, the Infinitis are good, but however you can really tell why they are so cheap $$. I have an FX45 and the type of materials used inside is barely any better than the very first generation Merc MLs. I looked at the Lexus GS at the TO autoshow, and I'd rather have the GS430 over M45...the materials Lexus uses in the interior is many steps above Infiniti, dare I say even on par with BMW.
I've been driving a FX35 for about 4-5 months now, and I very much enjoy it over the LX470 that it replaced. They are really different automobiles and while the lexus may have better quality and materials, the drive of the smaller infiniti more than makes up for it. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really notice what the dash and other parts are made of.

BTW, don't you feel that the FX has better quality leather and seats compared to the e60 (I have sports seats and dakota leather myself)?

Oh and I don't know how the 6 and 8 cylinder engines of the FX compare, but do you find that your FX is more rev-happy than your e60?
[snapback]98142[/snapback]
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more with alpineweiss. My friend has a 2003 3 series and a 2004 5 series, and I drive a 2004 FX35. I feel my car is far superior. The interior materials do not feel that bad, they just arent put together as tightly, and the leather is much better. It has a better feel, the BMWs have a hard and thin feel. I have heard many a story of a BMW onwer sliding into his car with blue jeans on and tearing the leather with the bottom buttons; that wouldn't happen in my car. As for driving, you cannot simply compare a Lexus to an Infiniti. Infiniti's are designed for performance, Lexus' have a far softer ride and are meant for luxury, not real performance. I drove an X5, RX330, Acura MDX and Touareg before buying the FX. All were built with different goals in mind, but the FXs closest competitor would be the X5. The X5 is very very boring when compared. Stale interior and exterior, and not much driving excitement. Transmission is very sluggish as well, whereas you don't even feel the upshifts in the FX, completely seamless power. My car is fully loaded, and out the door price was 45k. Euqivalent X5 would be over 50k excluding taxes and so on. Not to mention the X5 3.0 is damn slow compared to the FX. I love my car and would never buy a BMW over it.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Scott' date='Mar 7 2005, 12:44 AM
I would take the M45 hands down.? If the M45 had a BMW badge, it would sell so much better.? The price difference isn't worth a the badge.? M45 has more luxury equipment and DAMN its smooth.? Considering performance driving is less than 20% of the overall experience, the M45 is better balanced (even though it goes 0-60 in 5.3 which is quick as hell).? As for styling, I do not like new BMWs.? After 2002, its been going downhill.? Interiors are boring and exteriors are no longer refined to the level they were.? As for material quality, the M45 is excellent.? People have knocked Infiniti's mainly for the G35s poor interiors; plastic aluminum trim and cheap interior components (which the 2005 model has shaped up quite nicely).? I know 4 people now who have purchased a BMW without test-driving any other cars...regardless of how good they may be, they went to BMW and only BMW because of the three very prestigious name.? I would like to see where BMW and Infiniti would stand if they switched badges.?
[snapback]98107[/snapback]
Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 PM

Smile

Hey,if u wanna punk BMW's get the hell off this board!

Infiniti is good but BMW is better,that's why you pay more dumbkopf!

Hey you want Heidi Klum or Yoko Ono?
Old 03-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 7 2005, 10:41 PM
[quote name='heezy545i' date='Mar 7 2005, 04:35 AM'][quote name='alpineweiss' date='Feb 19 2005, 10:09 PM']I agree with BurgessMW. Performance/driving wise, the Infinitis are good, but however you can really tell why they are so cheap $$. I have an FX45 and the type of materials used inside is barely any better than the very first generation Merc MLs. I looked at the Lexus GS at the TO autoshow, and I'd rather have the GS430 over M45...the materials Lexus uses in the interior is many steps above Infiniti, dare I say even on par with BMW.

[snapback]98142[/snapback]
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more with alpineweiss. My friend has a 2003 3 series and a 2004 5 series, and I drive a 2004 FX35. I feel my car is far superior. The interior materials do not feel that bad, they just arent put together as tightly, and the leather is much better. It has a better feel, the BMWs have a hard and thin feel. I have heard many a story of a BMW onwer sliding into his car with blue jeans on and tearing the leather with the bottom buttons; that wouldn't happen in my car. As for driving, you cannot simply compare a Lexus to an Infiniti. Infiniti's are designed for performance, Lexus' have a far softer ride and are meant for luxury, not real performance. I drove an X5, RX330, Acura MDX and Touareg before buying the FX. All were built with different goals in mind, but the FXs closest competitor would be the X5. The X5 is very very boring when compared. Stale interior and exterior, and not much driving excitement. Transmission is very sluggish as well, whereas you don't even feel the upshifts in the FX, completely seamless power. My car is fully loaded, and out the door price was 45k. Euqivalent X5 would be over 50k excluding taxes and so on. Not to mention the X5 3.0 is damn slow compared to the FX. I love my car and would never buy a BMW over it.
[snapback]98440[/snapback]
[/quote]

Have you check your resale value on the FX? my friend bought a 2004 brand new FX45 for 50K out of door last october, and now i can purchase a 2004 FX45loaded for same option with 5000Miles for just $36000 out of door. The company where i work for purchase a X5 3.0 last year for $46000 and with 6000 miles the similar car is still worth around $39-40K. I didn't said that the FX is not a good car, but simply it's not really worth that much money. I undestand that the current X5 is kind of boring looking inside, but don't forget that it has been in the market since year 2000, i'm sure you will change your mind when the new X5 is release. The leather used Infitini/Lexus looks better when they are new, but wait for 3 year and you will see that the BMW leather shows less wear. The Rear Seat on the X5 is pretty comfortable and it still has some usefull cargo space behind, this is not found on the FX.

Basically if i will be shopping for a new for $45-50k Price range SUV, i will stay with BMW or the Porsche Cayenne.

Quick Reply: M45 Test Drive