The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

M45 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from test driving the dealer's M45 Demo. BMW definitely has something to worry about. I was amazed at the feel and performance of the car. Nothing like the Acura RL I drove a few months ago. In terms of overall driving performance, there is not a lot of difference between the M45 and the 545. I was stunned.

First of all, the engine and acelleration is right there with my 545. Seat of the pants, I couldn't tell any difference. Handling, braking, steering feel, all were right there with the 545. I didn't get to test the car to the limit because I couldn't figure out how to turn off the stability control which kept kicking in. But the car was a blast to drive. It is the first automatic I actually enjoyed shifting manually. The shifts are quick, and when you downshift, it matches revs.

As far as the styling goes, that's up to the individual. I like the 545 much better, the M45 exterior is pretty boring. Interior looks good to me except the dashboard with the cheezy looking stamped aluminum.

Standard and optional features are probably the best I've seen in a $50K car. Heated/air conditioned seats, nav, bluetooth, mp3, 5.1 sound, keyless ignition, active xenon headlights and cruise, and a few others I'd never heard of.

The bottom line is that if I couldn't see a significant performance difference, then a lot of people won't. I will say that with my 19" wheels and tires, I would definitely give the handling nod to the BMW. But with the OEM equipment they are very close.

I think competition is a good thing. I'll bet the M45 was one of the main reasons BMW is releasing the 550 this year. The 550 should give BMW a clear performance advantage once again.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

You're right...competition is a good thing. I hope BMW gets the message and gets their act together re: the electronics end of the E60. I'm on my 2nd E60 and am already experiencing quirks with I drive and other electronics. Tonight the I drive screen froze for the 1st time. Luckily, it did reboot itself. But I am disappointed with the time it takes to boot up each time I start the car. It is much slower than my '04, voice command takes longer to recognize and respond, many times taking me to the wrong menu.

No question, the Japanese have the edge in the electronics dept., and yet, I still wouldn't give up my E60 for an Infiniti without a serious dogfight. JMHO.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I posted this somewhere else buy I'll copy it here and add a little more.

"I went to the M45 Preview today (yesterday) at the Infiniti dealership and Drove the M45... it doesnt have Active Steering and I found it took too much effort, more effort than I would like to steer the car around. At low speed parking lot and in city driving.

Reguarding the M45 vs 545... WOW the M45's engine was smooth!!!! Transmission Power delivery was very very smooth. Quality wise it was NICE.. but not as nice as BMW IMO. Doors were a little cheaper... material used were a little cheaper... driving feel lacked from a "drivers standpoint" not enough road feel. Their "iDrive" was ok... I'm use to the BMW iDrive and like it more. Their "iDrive" was out of reach... its on the dash. and more buttons around it to push. Over all for the price... its ok good buy. But I would still pay the extra $$ for a 545 instead of it if I have to chose all over again. "

Yes I agree that the power was right there with the 545 with its 330hp. The engine was VERY NICE I really liked their V8. Now freeway acceleration I dont know which car is faster but I'm sure they are close.

The automatic transmission is the smothest ever!! you can not feel ANY of the up shifts. You said it rev matched when you down shifted with the tip-tonic? I didnt notice that... I didnt think it did... If it did it definetly didnt do it that well. Mayby I'm too use to SMG rev matching... THAT REV MATCHING!! I felt like the M45s "rev match" was not much better than any BMW steptronic but upshifts are smoother!! (*Still impressed with that*)

Yes the standard equipment list is impressive!!! BMW should have that many toys in their 5-series. 3-seriers should be the car with options not 5 and definetly not 7. But Options are good... Sometimes I rather pay less for a car with options I personally dont want / need. Then again BMW price is higher than the M45.

Performance difference? NO way... there is a difference. when you say "performance" I consider drive feel, power, and cornering... Other than the Acceleration Power the 545 beats the M45 in the other catagories no questions asked... ALTHOUGH the M45 is GOOD BANG FOR THE BUCK.

Over all I LIKE IT!!! but for a nicely speced M45 a few thousand more for a 545 I will still go for the 545.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:04 PM
I think competition is a good thing.? I'll bet the M45 was one of the main reasons BMW is releasing the 550 this year.? The 550 should give BMW a clear performance advantage once again.
[snapback]92016[/snapback]
I disagree with that.. i doubt BMW cares about infiniti after all.. Their main competitors are like Merc, Audi and porsche..
Old 02-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:12 PM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:04 PM']I think competition is a good thing.? I'll bet the M45 was one of the main reasons BMW is releasing the 550 this year.? The 550 should give BMW a clear performance advantage once again.
I disagree with that.. i doubt BMW cares about infiniti after all.. Their main competitors are like Merc, Audi and porsche..
[snapback]92033[/snapback]
[/quote]

I could quote you from a number of business guru's about ignoring the competition because it's 'below you'. That's what the US automakers did with the Japanese cars (and steel, and electronics) 20 years ago and look what happened. BMW isn't stupid, you can bet they're paying a lot of attention to the Japanese.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Members

Don't forget that some people buy German cars for the simple reason that they cost more for what you get. "I can afford it and don't care....I have more money to blow than you do". Many BMW owners appreciate the fit/finish/detail of the car and how it seems to hold up twice as long as a Japanese car...or atleast it LOOKS better than a Japanese car after 10 years. But the BMW is a status symbol in and of itself and it doesn't have to be faster or the same price as the competition.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Feb 18 2005, 10:35 PM
[quote name='soc_fans' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:12 PM'][quote name='wolverine' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:04 PM']I think competition is a good thing.? I'll bet the M45 was one of the main reasons BMW is releasing the 550 this year.? The 550 should give BMW a clear performance advantage once again.
[snapback]92033[/snapback]
[/quote]

I could quote you from a number of business guru's about ignoring the competition because it's 'below you'. That's what the US automakers did with the Japanese cars (and steel, and electronics) 20 years ago and look what happened. BMW isn't stupid, you can bet they're paying a lot of attention to the Japanese.
[snapback]92040[/snapback]
[/quote]

Totally agree. Infiniti is fast becoming competition to BMW and clearly has set BMW as its benchmark, first with the G35 vs 3 series and now with the M45 that is undoubtedly aimed at the five. They are very capable cars and I would highly doubt that BMW does not view them as competition.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh ya... Infiniti is definetly competition... I already see them as competition... the M45 is very comparable to a 545... I would get one if there wasnt a 545 or if I won the lotto I'll get one in adddition to the 545. Also I'll probably buy it before a Merc and possibily a Audi.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5, Silverstone with black extended leather, brushed aluminium trim, Nav Pro, Logic 7, PDC, 35 % tint.

BMW wasn't always the status symbol it is now, and over the long-term car buyers are a fickle bunch. Right now, BMW is in the driver's seat, but the competition is hungry. BMW better get better and not be too arrogrant, or they will see market share slide. It used to be about BMW and Mercedes, with Audi not too far behind. Now you have the Japanese with Lexus, Infiniti, and Acura, and the Americans with Cadillac. The market is getting crowded, and while I am a loyal BMW fan, I am not so loyal that I will buy a BMW if I think it is inferior to another brand.

Message to BMW, do not take me for granted.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Feb 18 2005, 11:04 PM
I think competition is a good thing.? I'll bet the M45 was one of the main reasons BMW is releasing the 550 this year.? The 550 should give BMW a clear performance advantage once again.
No doubt Infiniti would like the auto rags to select the M45 as the "best" premium 4 door over the 545i in head to head comparisons. Although all of the auto rags selected the G35 over the 3 series, it did not appear to have any effect on 3 series sales (even though a new 3 series is being introduced) -- but the auto rags did have the intended effect on G35 sales (they increased substantially).

There is plenty of room in the premium 4 door market for the M45. However, from what I have seen written up in the auto rags, it does not appear that the M45 will seriously challenge the e60. Even though the e60 has taken a beating from these auto rags, Infiniti, Lexus, MB, Audi and Jaguar still use the e60 as their design target -- imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and these competitors confirm that the e60 is still the market leader.

Quick Reply: M45 Test Drive