The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Just Saw a really Cool feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3
Angry

It shows a graphic on the dash with individual tire pressures for each wheel. Now why can't we get that? With the RFs and the SP being so sensitive we really need this.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:02 PM
CTM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M6: SMG. Black Sapphire, Black Leather. Delivered: 03/03/07 -------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 18 2005, 09:49 PM
It shows a graphic on the dash with individual tire pressures for each wheel.? Now why can't we get that?? With the RFs and the SP being so sensitive we really need this.
[snapback]116978[/snapback]

We do have a system that will alert you if your tires are low. You can't actually monitor the tires, but it will warn you if they are low.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by CTM' date='Apr 18 2005, 07:02 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Apr 18 2005, 09:49 PM']It shows a graphic on the dash with individual tire pressures for each wheel.? Now why can't we get that?? With the RFs and the SP being so sensitive we really need this.

We do have a system that will alert you if your tires are low. You can't actually monitor the tires, but it will warn you if they are low.
[snapback]116980[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I know my car back to front and inside out. FTM is worthless at monitoring even loss of tire pressure over a month or two. A normal occurance with RFs on 124 rims.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

We have the same display on our Honda -- it's cool to watch the temps change as the tires get warmer, etc.

I'll bet BMW upgrades to this type of system in the future but unfortunately for now, we're left with the basic system that uses the rotational sensors instead of individual transponders...
Old 04-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Finnish tyre maker Nokian (same origin 10 years ago than mobile manufacture Nokia) has developed small rfid sensor (Radio Frequence ID) which can be placed inside tyre and be read from inside car. So it can't be so difficult.

Skaffa
Old 04-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

The Renault Scenics wich our employees drive have the same system.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Apr 19 2005, 08:23 AM
The Renault Scenics wich our employees drive have the same system.
[snapback]117041[/snapback]

Dennis, I think I don't want to work with you
Old 04-19-2005, 04:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Apr 18 2005, 08:49 PM
It shows a graphic on the dash with individual tire pressures for each wheel.? Now why can't we get that?? With the RFs and the SP being so sensitive we really need this.
My Jeep Grand Cherokee also shows the tire pressure in all four tires. And, like Rudy mentioned, it's interesting to watch the pressure change as the tires warm up!! I agree that it would be a great feature for BMW to add.......
Old 04-19-2005, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

It is my understanding that there are 2 types of systems. The one found in our BMW's, which uses existing sensors (ABS,DSC, etc) to measure rotation speed. The second, more common system, uses sensors which measure actual tire pressure. The sesnors provide more information, but are prone to breaking. This has casued a problem in the wheel/tire aftermarket, as many cusomers coplain that after wheel or tire work, the senors do not work.

Following the Ford Explorer tire issue, the US government has mandated that a certain percentage of cars sold in the US be equipped with pressure monitors. i think there is currerntly some question as to whether the current BMW method qualifies. Thus, some have speculated that BMW will be forced to switch the the senor type system.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

robg, I would think that the rotational sensor method would be more common than the one with the RF sensors. It's less expensive and easier to implement.

As far as reliability, why not include both methods? The rotational method costs essentially nothing so they could add the higher tech sensors to the wheels and use the rotational system as a backup.

Quick Reply: Just Saw a really Cool feature