The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

just finished my M45 sport test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(this is posted in another thread too)

Well, I just got back from my test drive of the M45 sport.

Lucky for me I found another dealer (like the BMW dealer) who was willing to let me drive the car. Hint for all those looking for a dark blue M45 sport at Infinit Mission Viejo - don't buy it, I just ruined 'break in'.

Anyway, it's better than I expected. The power is fantastic, the interior materials are excellent - the piano dashboard is ok, but the huge white buttons are rather lame and Readers Digest Large Print-ish to me. The toys are phenomenal - the park assist and camera are unreal. Voice commands work quite well, push button start is always fun, and the driving position is much better than it looks like it will be when you look at the car from outside.

Gauges are fantastic - wish all sports sedans had gauges this cool.

It handles very well, and the sport package allows you to slide a bit in a power turn before kicking in the traction control. Overall, though, the nod still goes to the 545i in the driving experience - the Bimmer feels much lighter, the steering has much more feedback and precision, and the experience of driving just isn't matched in the M45 to me. The M45 has heavier steering feel, and seems a bit top heavy yet still remains firmly planted. The car feels its weight (like the A8L) but has the power to overcome it easily.

M45 gets the nod for interior, power (until the 550i comes along), and toys (by a LONG shot)

545i gets the nod for handling, driving dynamics, and overall drive experience.

It may come down to price, as they are closer than I expected. All things equal I'd take the 545i immediately, but because there IS a 10k difference, the balance does change a bit. I'm going to look into the 550i ED in a lease, as I have to lease my cars, so if BMW still has great money factors, the tables may be evenly set, and my nod will go to the BMW. While I love the toys, the BMW has some too, just not as advanced of toys and not as much fun to play with - in the end for me it comes down to driving, and to have a car that is almost as much fun as my Boxster S as a freeway driver - one I can throw around when the opportunity presents itself - that's a lot of value to me.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Good info. I also test drove an M45 awhile back before I bought my 545 and thought it was a great car and great value.

For me though, the 545 felt quicker and more powerful. Maybe it's because the 545 is lighter, but the M45 certainly didn't feel like it would beat the E60 in a 0-60 race. I also had a real problem with the ATM cash machine looking center dash -- it looks very cheesy in my opinion. The wood paneling was also really unattractive (the metal interior looks much better).

The M45 is one of the best values around, but if price isn't an issue then the 545 wins hands down IMO.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d, Carbon Black, High Executive, M, Navigation, Logic 7, Shadow line gloss

1. the Infinity M45: are we talking about the same car? Never saw such a dull design in years except of the new Camry.
2. In the USA your'e lucky. In the Netherlands you would pay more than double the price you're paying for a 545. approx $ 130.000,-
3. Toys are for kids
Old 08-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

I didn't bother with the M45. Without trying to sound snobbish, I really don't think that they belong in the same class with the Five. The M is a lot of performance for the money, with the right driver it could beat some 545i's. BMWs have always been much more than just performance though. It's the experience of owning an elite German sedan. It's the understated luxury - just enough, not too much. It's the quality in the fit and finish - the sound of the motor, the thump of the closing doors. And, I'm not going to lie to you here - it's the status of having the white and blue propeller logo on the nose of my car that has historically represented one of the finest manufacturers in the world. Try as they will, Nissan will never reproduce these things.

Happy auto shopping. You'll be more content with your big purchase once you've tried some other brands (and you'll have fun hurting those other cars in the process).

-Fullspeed
Old 08-17-2005, 02:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 17 2005, 02:12 PM
(this is posted in another thread too)

Well, I just got back from my test drive of the M45 sport.

Lucky for me I found another dealer (like the BMW dealer) who was willing to let me drive the car. Hint for all those looking for a dark blue M45 sport at Infinit Mission Viejo - don't buy it, I just ruined 'break in'.

Anyway, it's better than I expected. The power is fantastic, the interior materials are excellent - the piano dashboard is ok, but the huge white buttons are rather lame and Readers Digest Large Print-ish to me. The toys are phenomenal - the park assist and camera are unreal. Voice commands work quite well, push button start is always fun, and the driving position is much better than it looks like it will be when you look at the car from outside.

Gauges are fantastic - wish all sports sedans had gauges this cool.

It handles very well, and the sport package allows you to slide a bit in a power turn before kicking in the traction control. Overall, though, the nod still goes to the 545i in the driving experience - the Bimmer feels much lighter, the steering has much more feedback and precision, and the experience of driving just isn't matched in the M45 to me. The M45 has heavier steering feel, and seems a bit top heavy yet still remains firmly planted. The car feels its weight (like the A8L) but has the power to overcome it easily.

M45 gets the nod for interior, power (until the 550i comes along), and toys (by a LONG shot)

545i gets the nod for handling, driving dynamics, and overall drive experience.

It may come down to price, as they are closer than I expected. All things equal I'd take the 545i immediately, but because there IS a 10k difference, the balance does change a bit. I'm going to look into the 550i ED in a lease, as I have to lease my cars, so if BMW still has great money factors, the tables may be evenly set, and my nod will go to the BMW. While I love the toys, the BMW has some too, just not as advanced of toys and not as much fun to play with - in the end for me it comes down to driving, and to have a car that is almost as much fun as my Boxster S as a freeway driver - one I can throw around when the opportunity presents itself - that's a lot of value to me.
[snapback]160398[/snapback]

I guess I was right on. Good luck with your decision.

One way or another, both are great car. Except i really don't think BMW can't justify the $10k price difference. I am not sure about discount on the infiniti. But i will not be suprised if you can get it slightly above invoice.

Perceptions is very difficult to change (evident on this forum). You will probably find that the same 10k difference will still be there even with ED.

As far as ED goes, i think it is a great deal. But i think the earlies slot you would get would be november right now. So you might want to order quickly. Also, I know that BMW has changed ED policy. I believe the 1st month of allocation is blocked from ED program so that BMWNA can build up dealer supplies on 550i.

I don't know much about ED program. You should go over to bimmerfest.com and ask beewang for help.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

If you ae leasing, I think you will find that the monthly payments are not as far apart as you may think (assuming down payment to be equal). I had considered a car about 10k less than my 545, but the residual value of BMW's is traditionally very high so that the lease payments are lower. The 10k difference ended up be very little in difference in monthly payments, making my choice easy.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

I was looking at an M45 today driving down the street, and all I could think is they are trying to copy the 545, not just in looks, but with the name, M means BMW and the 45 is a little too close to be a coincidence. I wish they had chosen a different name.

I also respect BMW for offering a manual tranny in a V-8 sedan.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Exclamation

The 550i will "crush" the New M45, that's why i want one!
Old 08-17-2005, 05:46 PM
Members

My Ride: Current: 2006 550 - Sport & Cold Weather Packages, Premium Audio and Navigation, Monaco Blue and Biege Previous: 2001 330Ci - Sport & Premium Packages, Orient Blue and Biege

I recently test drove both the 545 and the M45. I was also impressed with the power and the handling of the M45, but the intererior was scary. It felt like I was sitting is the cockpit of of a 747. Too many buttons, too many knobs. Also the console come out way too far. The controls were at least as complex as iDrive with lots of buttons anyways.

On the plus sides the unit I drove had ventilated seats, they were very cool I wish BMW would make it a regular option on units with comfort seats instead of a priority 1 option.

At this point I am leaning towards ordering a 550.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bobbybass' date='Aug 17 2005, 06:46 PM
I recently test drove both the 545 and the M45.? I was also impressed with the power and the handling of the M45, but the intererior was scary.? It felt like I was sitting is the cockpit of of a 747.? Too many buttons, too many knobs.? Also the console come out way too far.? The controls were at least as complex as iDrive with lots of buttons anyways.

On the plus sides the unit I drove had ventilated seats, they were very cool I wish BMW would make it a regular option on units with comfort seats instead of a priority 1 option.

At this point I am leaning towards ordering a 550.
[snapback]160496[/snapback]
I know what you mean about the ventilated seats - they are crazy cool! It's not really ventilated, but truly air conditioned. I had to turn them down to almost nothing just to get comfortable as it was like sitting on freon. Very effective.

I'm a BIG fan of ventilated seats - love them on my E500, and I'm upset that BMW doesn't have them. Perhaps the leather they use breathes well enough not to cause a problem, or the climate control system is incredibly effective as well.

Quick Reply: just finished my M45 sport test drive