5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   The Competition (https://5series.net/forums/competition-25/)
-   -   Its not competition, but I want a Nissan 370z (https://5series.net/forums/competition-25/its-not-competition-but-i-want-nissan-370z-96314/)

Howitzer 03-31-2010 07:26 AM

This thing, to me, looks so amazing. It has the beautiful curves of a Porsche. I am really debating on getting one of these and making my 5 the daily driver to leave the Z in the garage for sunny days. Any of you drive this car yet? I saw one at a stoplight next to me and it was very intimidating. The exhaust tone was nice for a 6, the angles were gorgeous and it has a beautiful stance. Short body but wide and sporty like a Porsche. I really almost thought it was one when I first saw it from a distance. Truly a beautiful design for a "Nissan" and at a price I couldn't believe. The sticker for a Sport, Touring model 370z loaded was $39k OTD. Pretty much the same price as the 350HP nismo version but without the same body kit. I honestly prefer the non-nismo just because it has many more creature comforts inside.

Any of you impressed with this car?

http://www.mecho.com.au/wp-includes/...r-v6-coupe.jpg

http://images.passionperformance.ca/...009_nissan.jpg

http://www.the370z.com/images/370zfo...370Z_com_1.jpg

Krozi 03-31-2010 07:40 AM

Granted it's a nice car, but I would get a E46 M3 as a weekend car.

pjinca 03-31-2010 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1142626)
Granted it's a nice car, but I would get a E46 M3 as a weekend car.

And that is really the ONLY problem with it. We have the cars we have because a "nice" car wasn't good enough. The 370z IS a nice car, capable, and reliable.

Howitzer 03-31-2010 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1142632)
And that is really the ONLY problem with it. We have the cars we have because a "nice" car wasn't good enough. The 370z IS a nice car, capable, and reliable.

I fail to grasp the context of your post. Do you mean its nice and thats the problem with it? Its just "nice" and not "amazing"? Boring, standard, not really anything special, etc? It does not compute! hehe

Krozi 03-31-2010 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Howitzer (Post 1142637)
I fail to grasp the context of your post. Do you mean its nice and thats the problem with it? Its just "nice" and not "amazing"? Boring, standard, not really anything special, etc? It does not compute! hehe

Yea I am quite confused....

pjinca 03-31-2010 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Howitzer (Post 1142637)

That is exactly the point, "nice" is a very bland term. There are many "nice" cars, few exceptional cars.

Krozi 03-31-2010 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1142649)
That is exactly the point, "nice" is a very bland term. There are many "nice" cars, few exceptional cars.

The E46 M3 is exceptional :twoup:

I would consider it the last true "M" produced by BMW.

pjinca 03-31-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1142651)

That is what I meant Marc, you are correct, the E46 IS an exceptional car. I'd still love an E30 M3 myself, that car was pure driving pleasure :twoup:

Krozi 03-31-2010 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1142654)
That is what I meant Marc, you are correct, the E46 IS an exceptional car. I'd still love an E30 M3 myself, that car was pure driving pleasure :twoup:

Another internet high five coming at ya! :lol: :lol:

pjinca 03-31-2010 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1142657)
Another internet high five coming at ya! :lol: :lol:

Right back at ya Bud :twoup: I was actually looking at E30's last night on Autotrader, decided I want either an E60 M5 or F10 M5 next though, THEN an E30 M3 to "play" with :hyper:

sdg1871 03-31-2010 08:14 AM

The 370z is an excellent car with good acceleration and grip. Beware of dangerous brake fade if you ever take it on an extended twtisties run. One of the major car mags ran it at a track abd crashed the car after the brake fade made the brakes fail. None of the many other cars in that comparo had such a catastrophic brake failure from fade.

And in general, Nissan sport suspensions suck. They are rock hard and good in the twisties but at the total expense of all ride comfort. I've rented the Infiniti equivalent to the Z, the G, and the suspension is a blunt, unrefined instrument; much like the supension of my departed 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport.

Howitzer 03-31-2010 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by sdg1871 (Post 1142668)
The 370z is an excellent car with good acceleration and grip. Beware of dangerous brake fade if you ever take it on an extended twtisties run. One of the major car mags ran it at a track abd crashed the car after the brake fade made the brakes fail. None of the many other cars in that comparo had such a catastrophic brake failure from fade.

And in general, Nissan sport suspensions suck. They are rock hard and good in the twisties but at the total expense of all ride comfort. I've rented the Infiniti equivalent to the Z, the G, and the suspension is a blunt, unrefined instrument; much like the supension of my departed 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport.

I'm on Koni yellow sport shocks right now with H&R sport springs. I really don't think there can be anything worse as far as ride comfort. Right now I can take a corner at 60mph, but if I hit a pebble my balls bruise.

nomis_nehc 03-31-2010 08:31 AM

I, for one, am not particularly fond of the 370z's look. I prefer the 350z more.

Have not driven a 370z yet, but if it's anything like the 350z, I don't like it. As sdg stated above, it's not a comfortable ride at all. Oh, and terrible terrible blind spots.

m630 03-31-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1142651)

ahhhem, S85 = last true ///M!

sdg1871 03-31-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Howitzer (Post 1142681)
I'm on Koni yellow sport shocks right now with H&R sport springs. I really don't think there can be anything worse as far as ride comfort. Right now I can take a corner at 60mph, but if I hit a pebble my balls bruise.

Well Howi, if ride comfort is not in your equation, the Z might be for you. But if youdo, trash the POS factory brales with some killer aftermarket ones.

lim 03-31-2010 09:35 AM

See a lot here in and around DC; the rear diffuser mated with another contrasting color like dark orange makes it look nice

flyingpuck 03-31-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Howitzer (Post 1142610)
This thing, to me, looks so amazing. It has the beautiful curves of a Porsche. I am really debating on getting one of these and making my 5 the daily driver to leave the Z in the garage for sunny days. Any of you drive this car yet? I saw one at a stoplight next to me and it was very intimidating. The exhaust tone was nice for a 6, the angles were gorgeous and it has a beautiful stance. Short body but wide and sporty like a Porsche. I really almost thought it was one when I first saw it from a distance. Truly a beautiful design for a "Nissan" and at a price I couldn't believe. The sticker for a Sport, Touring model 370z loaded was $39k OTD. Pretty much the same price as the 350HP nismo version but without the same body kit. I honestly prefer the non-nismo just because it has many more creature comforts inside.

Any of you impressed with this car?

http://www.mecho.com.au/wp-includes/...r-v6-coupe.jpg

http://images.passionperformance.ca/...009_nissan.jpg

http://www.the370z.com/images/370zfo...370Z_com_1.jpg

The car has nice lines and all, but I can never get past the "afterthought" door handles, it just looks as though they glued them on at the last moment! :blink: Why so LITTLE attention to a detail that sticks out SO badly??? :confused:

swajames 04-01-2010 05:43 AM

The 370Z is an excellent car. It is fast, it handles well and it look good. It also has an industry first in Synchro Rev Match on its manual transmission which automatically blips the throttle to perfectly rev match on downshifts - no heel and toe required, although you can turn it off if you prefer to handle these duties yourself.

Re the 370z brakes, they're much better than they are being given credit for here. If they are weak, it will only be at the limit. BMW brakes are no different, BMW (even on most M models) are not up to the rest of the car. They can't take repeated use and will fade under punishment. They are simply under-specced (floating calipers not fixed, too few pistons etc). They'll stop you first time you need them, but they aren't good enough for very hard road and (particularly) track use.

pjinca 04-01-2010 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by swajames (Post 1143555)
The 370Z is an excellent car. It is fast, it handles well and it look good. It also has an industry first in Synchro Rev Match on its manual transmission which automatically blips the throttle to perfectly rev match on downshifts - no heel and toe required, although you can turn it off if you prefer to handle these duties yourself.

Re the 370z brakes, they're much better than they are being given credit for here. If they are weak, it will only be at the limit. BMW brakes are no different, BMW (even on most M models) are not up to the rest of the car. They can't take repeated use and will fade under punishment. They are simply under-specced (floating calipers not fixed, too few pistons etc). They'll stop you first time you need them, but they aren't good enough for very hard road and (particularly) track use.

On this point I have to agree with you Steven, I was literally SHOCKED when I changed my brake pads and found there was just a single piston in the caliper - a big one to be sure, but still single. Even my wife's Subaru has 2 large pistons up front, heck even my old Jeep Cherokee had 2 up front. What is wrong with BMW?

Krozi 04-01-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1143557)
On this point I have to agree with you Steven, I was literally SHOCKED when I changed my brake pads and found there was just a single piston in the caliper - a big one to be sure, but still single. Even my wife's Subaru has 2 large pistons up front, heck even my old Jeep Cherokee had 2 up front. What is wrong with BMW?

Dude, even my M3 has single piston....

pjinca 04-01-2010 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1143565)
Dude, even my M3 has single piston....

Really Marc?!?!!? That is ridiculous, when I had the G35 with Brembos it had 4 pistons up front. It is inexcusable for a performance car to have roughly the same brakes available on a Camry. :nono:

Krozi 04-01-2010 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1143567)
Really Marc?!?!!? That is ridiculous, when I had the G35 with Brembos it had 4 pistons up front. It is inexcusable for a performance car to have roughly the same brakes available on a Camry. :nono:

Yea...I mean the thing stops on a dime...but still.

pjinca 04-01-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1143569)

I know it does, but will it still stop on a dime the tenth time? 20th? 100th? All brakes fade, but there are ways of making them far less susceptible to it. Proper ventilation and multiple pistons are just a couple.

swajames 04-01-2010 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1143569)

Just not more than one dime, though!

As I said, it's inexplicable on an M - the brakes just being "good" really isn't enough for these cars.

Krozi 04-01-2010 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1143573)
I know it does, but will it still stop on a dime the tenth time? 20th? 100th? All brakes fade, but there are ways of making them far less susceptible to it. Proper ventilation and multiple pistons are just a couple.

Yea, I don't track my car so I don't really notice.....but it is sorta a let down to see brakes on the M that really aren't that much bigger/better than on the 545i.

Krozi 04-01-2010 06:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BTW, check out this sweet pic:
Attachment 102757

pjinca 04-01-2010 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1143580)
BTW, check out this sweet pic:
Attachment 102757

Looks cool, is that your car Marc?

Krozi 04-01-2010 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1143581)
Looks cool, is that your car Marc?

No hah found that on M3Post.com...I don't track my car at the local track because, 1) My Mom automatically connects "Track" with "speed" with "danger" with "crash" with "death".....so.....yea :P and 2) the amount of rice that shows up at this track is WAY too much :lol:

pjinca 04-01-2010 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Krozi (Post 1143589)
No hah found that on M3Post.com...I don't track my car at the local track because, 1) My Mom automatically connects "Track" with "speed" with "danger" with "crash" with "death".....so.....yea :P and 2) the amount of rice that shows up at this track is WAY too much :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah there wwill always be a ton of "rice" at local events. The good news? Your M can smoke 99% easily :twoup:

Krozi 04-01-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by pjinca (Post 1143591)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah there wwill always be a ton of "rice" at local events. The good news? Your M can smoke 99% easily :twoup:

Very true hahah even if I could it would be too expensive...we just dropped 2G for new tires....ouch

m630 04-01-2010 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by swajames (Post 1143574)
Just not more than one dime, though!

As I said, it's inexplicable on an M - the brakes just being "good" really isn't enough for these cars.

while I too would rather have BBKs on the Ms, I will say that at M school we put the cars through all the extremes continuously all day and they never fade, for real world applications, they are great

pjinca 04-01-2010 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by m630 (Post 1143622)
while I too would rather have BBKs on the Ms, I will say that at M school we put the cars through all the extremes continuously all day and they never fade, for real world applications, they are great

Please tell me that the M5/6 have bigger brakes with more pistons than the M3. Those cars are way heavier and more powerful than the 3er and would need bigger beefier brakes to compensate.

swajames 04-01-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by m630 (Post 1143622)

I think the M5/M6 brakes are different, though - it's the M3 that seemingly doesn't really get the kit that it deserves.

Then again, my underlying point was really applicable to BMW in general, not the M's specifically. BMW brakes in general seem to be more prone to fade than they really ought to be.

bmw550ifreak 04-10-2010 10:45 AM

I'll be honest, the 370z is a hell of a beauty car, when its alone. When you stop at a red light and an E46 or E90 M3 comes, it just looses its make up, and the heads turn to the M3 more I think. Get what ever YOU want !

Ghostteck 04-16-2010 01:57 PM

i'd say e39 m5 now thats a monster of a car :whistle: