The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Infiniti M56 420hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 645ci Steptronic, Sport & Cold Weather Package, Black on Black with Blackwood Interior, PDC, Illuminated BMW Door Sills, Logic 7 Sound....Mods and pics on the way !

Infiniti has just unveiled the latest generation of its M cars at the swanky SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, CA. The M will be offered as both an M37 and M56, with both models being either RWD or AWD. Like the G37, the M37 is powered by a 3.7-liter V6 engine with 270 ft-lbs of torque. As for the M56, it gets a massive 5.6-liter mill with an impressive 420-hp and 417 ft-lbs of torque. In total, the new top-level M gets 95-hp and 81 ft-lbs of torque over its predecessor, the M45.

Those looking for even more sport can opt for a Sport Package (RWD only), that comes with 20-inch wheels, a sport tuned suspension, larger brake rotors with 4-piston front calipers and two-piston rears, 4-Wheel Active Steer (4WAS) steering, as well as a sport steering wheel, pedals and shift knob. Specific to the Sport Package are special double-piston shocks that deliver a ride that is both comfortable and stable. There?s even a unique front fascia.

Both engines come with Infiniti?s 7-speed sport automatic transmission, allowing the M56 to get even better fuel economy than the old M45.

As for the car?s size, it is larger than the outgoing M, measuring roughly half an inch longer at 194.7 inches, 2-inches wider at 72.6 inches. It is also roughly half an inch lower at 59.1 inches to help keep the car?s center of gravity low.

One of the most exciting features on the new M is Infiniti Drive that allows a driver to choose between four settings of throttle pressure and transmission shift points. There?s also an Active Tracing Control system that adjusts engine power and braking at all four wheels for optimum performance. Safety items include Blind Spot Warning and Blind Spot Intervention that helps bring the car back towards the center of the lane. There?s also an Eco Pedal feature that, when selected, uses green and yellow lights on the instrument panel to give the driver feedback on his or her driving, while also giving feedback through the gas pedal, pushing back to alert the driver when they are operating the vehicle inefficiently. Infiniti says that in testing this simple method has lead to improved fuel economy of five to 10 percent.
Attached Thumbnails Infiniti M56 420hp-img_9640.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Not bad
Old 12-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Kinda swoopy like an older tiburon, mixed w a dash of maxima
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I bet that is a tremendous engine... Those VQ engines that Nissan/Infiniti use always were excellent powerplants. The one thing Infiniti seems to struggle with compared to BMW is ride, the Infinti cars do tend to be sporty but they can be VERY firm, they've never quite been able to get that ride/handling balance figured out like BMW. It'll be interesting to see how the new M fares in this respect as that car does look like it could be a monster and there's some interesting technology packed into the new M56.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Among the three "rebranded" Japanese automakers (Acura, Lexus and Infiniti), seems like Infiniti always had the more sportier line up and I always liked that about them.

The specs on this M56 sounds great. Wonder how it'll compare to the 550.

That said, and I felt this way even before I got my M5, I hate the fact that they so blatantly use the letter M in their advertising. What a rip off on the BMW Motorsports theme. And I can't believe even you guys are referring to it as the M. I'm disappointed in you Steve. BAN!! hahaha
Old 12-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1066541' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:36 PM
Among the three "rebranded" Japanese automakers (Acura, Lexus and Infiniti), seems like Infiniti always had the more sportier line up and I always liked that about them.

The specs on this M56 sounds great. Wonder how it'll compare to the 550.

That said, and I felt this way even before I got my M5, I hate the fact that they so blatantly use the letter M in their advertising. What a rip off on the BMW Motorsports theme. And I can't believe even you guys are referring to it as the M. I'm disappointed in you Steve. BAN!! hahaha
Fair point, Tony. I'll only use a little "m" from now on
Old 12-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 645ci Steptronic, Sport & Cold Weather Package, Black on Black with Blackwood Interior, PDC, Illuminated BMW Door Sills, Logic 7 Sound....Mods and pics on the way !

Originally Posted by skelevirus' post='1066487' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:04 PM
Kinda swoopy like an older tiburon, mixed w a dash of maxima

Agreed....

It's also like the design of the car will not live up to the overall potential of the entire package....
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Contributors

I am very dissapointed in the reliability of the 5 series BMW. This being my 3rd one. I'm seriously considering the Infiniti M or the Audi A6. Anybody care to chime in?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by ScorpioBMW1
I am very dissapointed in the reliability of the 5 series BMW. This being my 3rd one. I'm seriously considering the Infiniti M or the Audi A6. Anybody care to chime in?
So am I. I seriously considered a Merc and an Infinity. But everytime I start my car, hear that growl, take on a sharp turn at high speed, or simply stare at her, I smack myself for even thinking about ditching her. But she is getting long in the tooth, seems just a lil bit slower, and is finding herself outgunned by some of the new competition (at least in accelleration). F10, where are you???