5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   The Competition (https://5series.net/forums/competition-25/)
-   -   I know this will be unpopular here, what do you think of the 481hp MB (https://5series.net/forums/competition-25/i-know-will-unpopular-here-what-do-you-think-481hp-mb-94528/)

CWS530 02-26-2010 08:12 AM

I have not actually driven one, but they look great and the tests I've seen all have been pretty positive. MBs are great cars, and 481 HP is crazy!

pennetta 03-01-2010 02:29 PM

I went down to the MB dealer today and looked at the C63. The rear seat can actually fit two full sized adults. August is when the 2011 models comeout, so I would wait until then.
The bad news is that the residuals and money factors for the AMG cars are way out of line, which makes the car more expensive then it should be on a lease. The residual is 52% on a 36month/12k yr and the interest rate is 8% resulting in a $1300.00 per month payment.
My next step is to see the F10 on April 4th.

skelevirus 03-01-2010 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by pennetta (Post 1120755)
I went down to the MB dealer today and looked at the C63. The rear seat can actually fit two full sized adults. August is when the 2011 models comeout, so I would wait until then.
The bad news is that the residuals and money factors for the AMG cars are way out of line, which makes the car more expensive then it should be on a lease. The residual is 52% on a 36month/12k yr and the interest rate is 8% resulting in a $1300.00 per month payment.

:wow: that seems really high!

pennetta 03-04-2010 04:46 PM

Autoweek: Geneva auto show: AMG unveils new twin-turbo V8 engine
By GREG KABLE

A reworked version of the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG sedan will be the first to get the new twin-turbo 5.5-liter V8.Mercedes-Benz's AMG division has taken the wraps off a new four-valves-per-cylinder, twin-turbocharged, 5.5-liter direct-injection V8 gasoline engine destined to appear in all its various performance models as a replacement for today's naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8.

Code-named M157, the new 90-degree unit is based around Mercedes-Benz's upcoming twin-turbocharged 4.6-liter V8--the M278 as it's known internally--with a stiffened aluminum block, 98-millimeter-by-90.5-millimeter bore and stroke measurements, 106-millimeter cylinder bore spacing, wet-sump lubrication and total weight--including its dual Garret-Honeywell turbocharger installation--of 450 pounds.

Two distinct versions of the new AMG engine are planned for North America. In standard guise, AMG's new 5.5-liter V8 delivers 544 hp at 5,500 rpm and 590 lb-ft of torque between 2,000 rpm and 4,500 rpm--an increase of 19 hp and 125 lb-ft over the existing 6.2-liter V8.

As part of a so-called performance package to be made available on selected models, AMG also developed a more highly tuned version kicking out 571 hp at 5,500 rpm and a whopping 664 lb-ft of torque from 2,500 rpm to 3,750 rpm.

Both engines rev to a maximum of 6,300 rpm.

The first AMG model to receive the new engine will be a reworked version of the S63 AMG set to reach North America this summer, running the same seven-speed MCT gearbox as that found in the E63 AMG.

No performance claims for the new car, which will be previewed at the Geneva motor show by a lightly veiled concept car decked out in the colors of the company's legendary 300 SEL 6.8 AMG race car, but AMG does claim a 25 percent reduction in fuel consumption over the existing S63 AMG with a estimated 23.5 mpg, achieved, in part, by the inclusion of a driver-selectable Controlled Efficiency program. Among other functions, it remaps the gearbox for more economical shift points, including a launch-off mode that sees it select second gear.

Other fuel-saving technology to be included on the new car is the Intelligent Generator Management System seen on the E63 AMG. It uses an alternator which converts kinetic energy created during coasting and braking into electricity and stows it in the battery. The gearbox was also reworked to incorporate a new automatic stop/start system.

According to AMG boss Volker Mornhinweg, the fuel-saving measures included on the S63 AMG will allow it to sneak in under the threshold for the U.S. gas-guzzler tax.

Despite the drop in capacity with the new powerplant, Mercedes-Benz's fast-car offshoot has decided to retain the 63 nomenclature that graces all of its existing models, save for the SLK55 AMG. Speculation had been mounting in recent months that it may readopt the old 55 name. But with more power and torque, AMG ultimately decided the new engine should be, somewhat confusingly, marketed under today's nameplate.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0hGKsQzrO

skelevirus 03-04-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by pennetta (Post 1123045)
By GREG KABLE

A reworked version of the Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG sedan will be the first to get the new twin-turbo 5.5-liter V8.Mercedes-Benz's AMG division has taken the wraps off a new four-valves-per-cylinder, twin-turbocharged, 5.5-liter direct-injection V8 gasoline engine destined to appear in all its various performance models as a replacement for today's naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8.

Code-named M157, the new 90-degree unit is based around Mercedes-Benz's upcoming twin-turbocharged 4.6-liter V8--the M278 as it's known internally--with a stiffened aluminum block, 98-millimeter-by-90.5-millimeter bore and stroke measurements, 106-millimeter cylinder bore spacing, wet-sump lubrication and total weight--including its dual Garret-Honeywell turbocharger installation--of 450 pounds.

Two distinct versions of the new AMG engine are planned for North America. In standard guise, AMG's new 5.5-liter V8 delivers 544 hp at 5,500 rpm and 590 lb-ft of torque between 2,000 rpm and 4,500 rpm--an increase of 19 hp and 125 lb-ft over the existing 6.2-liter V8.

As part of a so-called performance package to be made available on selected models, AMG also developed a more highly tuned version kicking out 571 hp at 5,500 rpm and a whopping 664 lb-ft of torque from 2,500 rpm to 3,750 rpm.

The first AMG model to receive the new engine will be a reworked version of the S63 AMG set to reach North America this summer, running the same seven-speed MCT gearbox as that found in the E63 AMG.

No performance claims for the new car, which will be previewed at the Geneva motor show by a lightly veiled concept car decked out in the colors of the company's legendary 300 SEL 6.8 AMG race car, but AMG does claim a 25 percent reduction in fuel consumption over the existing S63 AMG with a estimated 23.5 mpg, achieved, in part, by the inclusion of a driver-selectable Controlled Efficiency program. Among other functions, it remaps the gearbox for more economical shift points, including a launch-off mode that sees it select second gear.

Other fuel-saving technology to be included on the new car is the Intelligent Generator Management System seen on the E63 AMG. It uses an alternator which converts kinetic energy created during coasting and braking into electricity and stows it in the battery. The gearbox was also reworked to incorporate a new automatic stop/start system.

According to AMG boss Volker Mornhinweg, the fuel-saving measures included on the S63 AMG will allow it to sneak in under the threshold for the U.S. gas-guzzler tax.

Despite the drop in capacity with the new powerplant, Mercedes-Benz's fast-car offshoot has decided to retain the 63 nomenclature that graces all of its existing models, save for the SLK55 AMG. Speculation had been mounting in recent months that it may readopt the old 55 name. But with more power and torque, AMG ultimately decided the new engine should be, somewhat confusingly, marketed under today's nameplate.

Read more: http://www.autoweek....7#ixzz0hGKsQzrO

thats ridiculous :)

melimel 03-17-2010 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by pennetta (Post 1120755)

there goes that idea.. seems like were in a similar situation with our leases.. gene's is up after mine and thats all we talk about. what are we going to get next.. i absolutely hate thef10 and i wont get it. plain and simple, but i need 4seats (for shuffling around my boys) and i need h.p (for me!).. so here i am at a dilema.. a big one for me, not for joe though. ugh.. im stressing, ill start a thread over this one day when i feel like venting.. till then im going to wash my car now.. lol

Bimmer32 04-07-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by pennetta (Post 1123045)
By GREG KABLE

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0hGKsQzrO

You have GOT to be kidding me. There goes the new F10 M5. The competition is on once again.

Ghostteck 04-16-2010 02:03 PM

how about a e55 amg? :whistle: