The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Hyundai Genesis Dub Edition

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='649203' date='Aug 18 2008, 01:12 PM
I wonder if Genesis will become Hyundai's premier marque a la Infiniti/Acura/Lexus?

Yeah, it will. I just got done arguing with someone that said that he was pissed that stupid rich people bought expensive cars because of the badge, and mentioned the Genesis as having a better interior, performance, etc. than the other luxury brands for almost half the price.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525I/TITANIUM SILVER METALLIC/GREY LEATHER INTERIOR/EURO RED REFLECTORS/20% TINT/EURO STICKER/BMW CCA STICKER

This looks really great....but in the end youre still driving a hyundai
Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Contributors

not for nothing i kind like it...... the black one lQQks good....
Old 08-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

In Korea, Hyundai has been branded as a manufacturer of cars that mimics the design of other marques for their own cars. Most if not all Hyundai cars look like other cars form certain angles and vantage points. Therefore it's not completely unreasonable to say that the Genesis looks like a Mercedes-Benz, BMW, or a Lexus. My company car is a Hyundai Genesis and when I first got the car it looked like a combination of an 5 Series, E-Class, and a GS.

Having driven the car for almost year. I can say the following things about it.

The engine in my company Genesis is a 3.8 litre V6 (we don't get the 4.6 litre V8 in the Genisis' home country) with 290hp @ 6200rpm and 265lb/ft torque @ 4500rpm. In Korea, Hyundai is notorious for inflating horsepower and torque numbers, but the straight line performance of the car seem to indicate that the engine produces numbers near the stated figures. It doesn't feel near as quick as a 530i nor a 528i, but the Genesis with the 3.8 liter V6 should be close to the 528i in acceleration.

The car has an unladen weight of about 3800 lbs. Not a light weight by any means. It is also nearly 5 meters long (16.5 ft). It isn't a small car. However, the front engine-RWD layout of the car gives it handling that is much better than its FWD countrymen. Having said this, let me point out that the Genesis is no BMW 5 Series or Mercedes-Benz E-Class in the handling department; and also falls well behind the Lexus GS and Infiniti M (all dynamic benchmarks for the Genesis) in the handling category. The Genesis has horrid straight line stability at highway/expressway speeds. Most of the time, you have to steer to keep the car straight on expressways. Hopefully Hyundai will fix this problem for cars exported to North America and other regions. The Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission used on the V6 isn't a performance wonder either. The upshifts are smooth but slow and downshifts. Don't even ask... If you like performance driving, you'll be wishing you were driving something else.

As for the interior and equipment, it is hit and miss. In its highest trim form, the Genesis has an odd color combination. If you get a black exterior, you get a black leather interior with ugly brown leather inserts in the door and a huge brown leather insert on the front fascia of the dashboard. On top of that, the headliner is a really light grey cloth. There is a dark grey exterior that has an all brown interior with the same grey headliner which looks better. The optional Lexicon Logic7 audio system is impressive (17 speakers and about 500 watts of power). Accurate highs, good mid-range, and decent bass. If you get every conceivable option, You get a rear seat entertainment system with a touch screen 7 inch rear monitor that has mobile internet connection (there is a monthly fee for this) that allows you to download games and video programs, front and rear view cameras, navigation with real-time traffic information (real-time is extremely subjective), and reclining rear seats with a massage function. There is also ventilated/heated seats, air suspension, sunroof, power seats with driver memory, etc... Sounds impressive? Yes... until you start looking at the details. The only interior trim available is wood grain, but upon closer inspection, you'll find that it is plastic. No such thing as real wood in this car or any other Korean quasi-luxury motor car. As for the leather, it does a wonderful job of fading in the first year of use. This is under normal driving conditions. I am the only one that drives my company car and I drive about 2000km a month. The car is about 8 months old and the black leather on the front seats are beginning to fade in color. The window frames of the are still have exposed steel. It's painted the color of the car mind you, but this is something you would get in bread and butter mobiles. Not a luxury car! The interior in general has a decidedly cheap feel to it. The weighting of the steering (extremely light), the feel of the signal stalks and other control button/levers. All feel like... well... a HYUNDAI.

Now... let's talk about price... A Genesis 3.8 litre V6 with all the options will run you about US$ 70,000. An Infiniti M35 with comparable options will run you about US$ 73,000. So the Genesis isn't exactly a bargain in Korea. Some would say that for a first attempt in developing and building a luxury car, the Genesis is an admirable job. I may agree, but in the end, all it ends up being is.... a really expensive HYUNDAI~ That's the best description for the car!

The people at Hyundai even admit, that in reality, the Genesis wasn't built to compete with the 5 Series, E-Class, GS, or M... They were targets that Hyundai engineers were aiming for and missed. As for the low prices that North American consumers get to pay, subsidies are alive and well! The consumers in the local (Korean) market (where most of the Genesis will be bought) offset the US$ 30k to 40k prices across the Pacific.

Ah... Hyundai... Drive your way!
Old 08-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Wow! Looks like a a Merc/MB.
I have to admit, I'm surprised -- even better than when C&D first featured the car in their magazine.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='649289' date='Aug 18 2008, 04:16 PM
In Korea, Hyundai has been branded as a manufacturer of cars that mimics the design of other marques for their own cars. Most if not all Hyundai cars look like other cars form certain angles and vantage points. Therefore it's not completely unreasonable to say that the Genesis looks like a Mercedes-Benz, BMW, or a Lexus. My company car is a Hyundai Genesis and when I first got the car it looked like a combination of an 5 Series, E-Class, and a GS.

Having driven the car for almost year. I can say the following things about it.

The engine in my company Genesis is a 3.8 litre V6 (we don't get the 4.6 litre V8 in the Genisis' home country) with 290hp @ 6200rpm and 265lb/ft torque @ 4500rpm. In Korea, Hyundai is notorious for inflating horsepower and torque numbers, but the straight line performance of the car seem to indicate that the engine produces numbers near the stated figures. It doesn't feel near as quick as a 530i nor a 528i, but the Genesis with the 3.8 liter V6 should be close to the 528i in acceleration.

The car has an unladen weight of about 3800 lbs. Not a light weight by any means. It is also nearly 5 meters long (16.5 ft). It isn't a small car. However, the front engine-RWD layout of the car gives it handling that is much better than its FWD countrymen. Having said this, let me point out that the Genesis is no BMW 5 Series or Mercedes-Benz E-Class in the handling department; and also falls well behind the Lexus GS and Infiniti M (all dynamic benchmarks for the Genesis) in the handling category. The Genesis has horrid straight line stability at highway/expressway speeds. Most of the time, you have to steer to keep the car straight on expressways. Hopefully Hyundai will fix this problem for cars exported to North America and other regions. The Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission used on the V6 isn't a performance wonder either. The upshifts are smooth but slow and downshifts. Don't even ask... If you like performance driving, you'll be wishing you were driving something else.

As for the interior and equipment, it is hit and miss. In its highest trim form, the Genesis has an odd color combination. If you get a black exterior, you get a black leather interior with ugly brown leather inserts in the door and a huge brown leather insert on the front fascia of the dashboard. On top of that, the headliner is a really light grey cloth. There is a dark grey exterior that has an all brown interior with the same grey headliner which looks better. The optional Lexicon Logic7 audio system is impressive (17 speakers and about 500 watts of power). Accurate highs, good mid-range, and decent bass. If you get every conceivable option, You get a rear seat entertainment system with a touch screen 7 inch rear monitor that has mobile internet connection (there is a monthly fee for this) that allows you to download games and video programs, front and rear view cameras, navigation with real-time traffic information (real-time is extremely subjective), and reclining rear seats with a massage function. There is also ventilated/heated seats, air suspension, sunroof, power seats with driver memory, etc... Sounds impressive? Yes... until you start looking at the details. The only interior trim available is wood grain, but upon closer inspection, you'll find that it is plastic. No such thing as real wood in this car or any other Korean quasi-luxury motor car. As for the leather, it does a wonderful job of fading in the first year of use. This is under normal driving conditions. I am the only one that drives my company car and I drive about 2000km a month. The car is about 8 months old and the black leather on the front seats are beginning to fade in color. The window frames of the are still have exposed steel. It's painted the color of the car mind you, but this is something you would get in bread and butter mobiles. Not a luxury car! The interior in general has a decidedly cheap feel to it. The weighting of the steering (extremely light), the feel of the signal stalks and other control button/levers. All feel like... well... a HYUNDAI.

Now... let's talk about price... A Genesis 3.8 litre V6 with all the options will run you about US$ 70,000. An Infiniti M35 with comparable options will run you about US$ 73,000. So the Genesis isn't exactly a bargain in Korea. Some would say that for a first attempt in developing and building a luxury car, the Genesis is an admirable job. I may agree, but in the end, all it ends up being is.... a really expensive HYUNDAI~ That's the best description for the car!

The people at Hyundai even admit, that in reality, the Genesis wasn't built to compete with the 5 Series, E-Class, GS, or M... They were targets that Hyundai engineers were aiming for and missed. As for the low prices that North American consumers get to pay, subsidies are alive and well! The consumers in the local (Korean) market (where most of the Genesis will be bought) offset the US$ 30k to 40k prices across the Pacific.

Ah... Hyundai... Drive your way!
dam your right a story....
Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='649310' date='Aug 19 2008, 05:41 AM
dam your right a story....
I think I did~
Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: E30 325e & E46 ZHP Vert

That was a good read, the new Genesis looks nice.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i- Steptronic Trans, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, BMW Assist, Black Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package

Nice S-Class ripoff...It looks like one of those cars that the chinese auto companies have copied.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by formuleuno' post='649401' date='Aug 19 2008, 08:10 AM
Nice S-Class ripoff...It looks like one of those cars that the chinese auto companies have copied.
From different angles it looks like a lot of different cars too~

Quick Reply: Hyundai Genesis Dub Edition