The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Are hybrid cars really better for the environment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='437699' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:56 AM
People who buy hybrids buy them because they (IMHO uninformedly) feel that driving a hybrid is better for the environment.
At least you qualified your statement as an opinion.

Why do you feel that people who believe that hybrid cars are better for the environment are uninformed?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by lynx10' post='437802' date='Jun 20 2007, 06:15 PM

Why do you feel that people who believe that hybrid cars are better for the environment are uninformed?
Probably because it has been proven that in real world driving small diesels are more economical and with the advances in emission control may well better the hybrids in that area as well?

People often choose to ignore that the electricity to charge these batteries has to come from somewhere and at the moment is largely produced by the burning of fossil fuels. Pollution is therefore seemingly shifted away from the hybrid car (and conveniently from the driver's conscience) to a far far away generator.

Nonetheless it is a "bandwagon" as proven by the many politicians who love to be photographed driving one of these hybrids but drive to and from the photo-shoot in a large engined executive/luxury car (well away from the cameras, of course!) not..
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by lynx10' post='437802' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:15 PM

A key issue I have with Hybrids is battery life. I understand that the batteries are only good for 7or 8 years, then what , we put them in the land fill ?.The replacement batteries are apparently very $ thus unlikely to be repurchased . So aside from not being green they are very expensive end to end . If I'm uninformed I would like to know more.
Cheers
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport/Premium 2001 X5 3.0 Sport/Premium

I tend to think the jury is still out. Whenever something like a hybrid is hailed as THE solution, there are unintended consequences. Either the cost will increase due to reliability or battery replacement issues, or the envronment will suffer due to the disposal of the batteries, or who knows? My best guess is that for a small vehicle, hybrids are marginally better than an equally sized gasoline or diesel car. Tiny little gasoline Hondas already get over 45mpg or so...

Not exactly on topic, but last I heard, BMW has no plans to build a electric hybrid car. Their R&D is being invested in hydrogen, as they believe it has the most potential, and is more applicable to larger vehicles.

It will be very interesting to see what BMW finally brings to market as an alternative vehicle.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by lynx10' post='437802' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:15 PM

The manufacturing of hybrids is a rape for the environment.
But someone has to do the experiments.

But ie the new 120d (d as in turbo-diesel) BMW engine with 177 hp and 350 Nm pollutes only 129 g/co2.
It also has a particel filter as standard.

Hope this new engine will soon come to the LCI E60 520d.
Only availabe in the E87 (1-series) at this moment.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dawi' post='437807' date='Jun 20 2007, 06:30 PM
Probably because it has been proven that in real world driving small diesels are more economical and with the advances in emission control may well better the hybrids in that area as well?

People often choose to ignore that the electricity to charge these batteries has to come from somewhere and at the moment is largely produced by the burning of fossil fuels. Pollution is therefore seemingly shifted away from the hybrid car (and conveniently from the driver's conscience) to a far far away generator.
I could be misreading but I hope we agree that Hybrid cars don't generally get plugged into electricity supplies.

ABC
Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Senior Members

You have to start some where, so early adopters of hybrids are doing the R&D for future hybrid technology. Hybrids and electric cars are the future whether you want to believe it or not.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='437871' date='Jun 20 2007, 08:46 PM
You have to start some where, so early adopters of hybrids are doing the R&D for future hybrid technology. Hybrids and electric cars are the future whether you want to believe it or not.
I agree with your view, and unless people buy hybrid cars there will be no incentive for manufactures to invest in the new technology. However, I do think that the true cost of cars should be factored in, and that includes the battery packs, resources that go into making them. The Prius has a reputation as being a 'green' car, but in reality is probally no better over the life of the vehicle than any other small economical car when looking at use of resources, waste products etc.

Compare the specs for a Prius and new 118d, there is not a lot in it.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Members

From what I have read ( I can be misinformed) the battery materials are mined from all over the world using large diesel equipment (pollution is created) and then refined or w/e you want to call it using more energy (provided by fossil fuels) and finally shipped to china and japan to be assembled into battery form. (unless its a navy carrier, it's probably burning good old diesel as well) Battery is installed in car in japan, shipped to its foreign market and Joe Blow the consumer then buys it. I guess Joe Blow isn't polluting much driving, however I would think the pollution for getting the materials too him is more pollution than a regular car in the long run. Sounds better for the environment right? If I'm way off please feel free to flame me!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/

Nearly all the knee jerk reactions to this study cite how the calculations can't possibly be correct - that no one could possibly think that operating a car costs that much per mile. That's correct - and the people saying that are missing the point. The study doesn't show how much it costs each person to fill the car at the gas station, but rather the costs in the study amortize all energy required to design, engineer, manufacture, operate, repair, and ultimately crush/scrap the vehicles - spreading that energy and its cost across the total number of expected miles the cars might reasonably be driven for.

I suppose the basic premise is:

-Hybrids take more energy to produce
-Hybrids are driven (or are expected to be driven) for fewer miles before being scrapped
-These two factors more than offset the energy savings realized during vehicle operation (relative to conventional automobiles)

It's certainly a polarizing study - should be interesting to see how their predictions hold up.

Quick Reply: Are hybrid cars really better for the environment?