The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

How does porsche and ferrari do it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

But the important point being made here, is that you reach a point of diminishing returns with a normally aspirated plant. An internal combustion motor is essentially a giant air pump, and once you reach the volumetric point of no more, the only avenue that remains open is to compress the air, or go to a larger volume. Most of what Ferrari and Porsche have done, is to tweak portions of this formula to eek every last erg out of the given volume. Ferrari uses a five valve system, with the odd valve used to get waste air out. You can add a few more ergs by making the engine components out of lighter materials, or by varying ignition sequences, such as measuring the temp of the incoming air, and the available air mass at elevation. All of these changes allow for more power, but the physics of getting more air onto the chamber, just cannot be broken without compression. One only has to look at the GT3 RS and the Turbo. Essentially the same engine, 3.6 lt. The GT3 makes 115 hp/lt, with 300 foot pounds of torque (406.8 NM). The turbo, on the other hand, gets 133 lt/h and a whopping 460 foot pounds (623 NM) out of the same displacement. This translates to .7/10 a second faster to 60, and stronger roll on acceleration as well. The real answer here, is to figure out how to do reliably bolt on a Turbo and a Supercharger, add some glycol injection, and then we should see numbers up to the point of complete overkill, which is just about right?
Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by studavis' post='491329' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:20 PM
But the important point being made here, is that you reach a point of diminishing returns with a normally aspirated plant. An internal combustion motor is essentially a giant air pump, and once you reach the volumetric point of no more, the only avenue that remains open is to compress the air, or go to a larger volume. Most of what Ferrari and Porsche have done, is to tweak portions of this formula to eek every last erg out of the given volume. Ferrari uses a five valve system, with the odd valve used to get waste air out. You can add a few more ergs by making the engine components out of lighter materials, or by varying ignition sequences, such as measuring the temp of the incoming air, and the available air mass at elevation. All of these changes allow for more power, but the physics of getting more air onto the chamber, just cannot be broken without compression. One only has to look at the GT3 RS and the Turbo. Essentially the same engine, 3.6 lt. The GT3 makes 115 hp/lt, with 300 foot pounds of torque (406.8 NM). The turbo, on the other hand, gets 133 lt/h and a whopping 460 foot pounds (623 NM) out of the same displacement. This translates to .7/10 a second faster to 60, and stronger roll on acceleration as well. The real answer here, is to figure out how to do reliably bolt on a Turbo and a Supercharger, add some glycol injection, and then we should see numbers up to the point of complete overkill, which is just about right?
Besides volumetric efficiency (which is best measured by max torque per litre), one point overlooked is RPMs. Volumetric efficiency produces good torque, torque x RPM produces horsepower. High torque at high RPMs produces the most power. In the old days, cam shafts and intakes were tuned to produce max torque at low RPMs for heavy duty vehicles or high RPMs for race cars but not both. Today, variable valve timing and other tricks allow broad flat torque curves. The E39 M5 5.0 V8 was one of the best NA motors for a brooooaaad flat torque curve.

There is also the question of high RPM capability. That is what gives Ferrari, Porsche, & BMW their 100+hp/litre. A 400 ftlb motor that revs to 5000 RPM max makes less HP than a 300 ftlb motor that revs to 8000 RPM. Ferrari always had small displacement high RPM motors. BMW chooses to provide high RPMs but with broad torque curves. I prefer that over max high RPM power. I'm not saying Porsche and Ferrari can't do high power and broad torque but BMW can and mass produces their motors in cars that sell many times more than Porsche or Ferrari. Add the fact that most BMW motors can go 50k, 100k, or even 200k miles with minimal maintenance costs is not something that Ferrari can do nor possibly Porsche.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='491431' date='Nov 7 2007, 04:30 PM
I'm not saying Porsche and Ferrari can't do high power and broad torque but BMW can and mass produces their motors in cars that sell many times more than Porsche or Ferrari. Add the fact that most BMW motors can go 50k, 100k, or even 200k miles with minimal maintenance costs is not something that Ferrari can do nor possibly Porsche.
Porsche has a system called VarioCam (and VarioCam Plus) which does a similar job to the Valvetronic system on the E60, enabling a broader torque curve with increased torque at lower RPM. As for reliability and the cost of maintenance, I don't think either are a particular issue. Porsche says that oil changes are only required every 20,000 miles (or every two years) on the 997 and more than two thirds of the Porsche cars built in the last 50 years are still on the road. EVO magazine in the UK did a story earlier this year highlighting the true cost to own some exotics including Lamborghini and Ferrari (based on actual costs incurred by a fractional ownership club) where the cost for the Italians was in the many, many thousands of pounds for consumables such as clutch replacement. As a comparison, the cost for a 996 Turbo that was on the same fleet was GBP 390, probably just a couple of oil changes, and you'd have to suspect that the more vanilla 911's like mine would be even less (based on the schedules alone mine should be zero for the first two years)
Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Another benefit to higher RPM is the better mechanical advantage you have before your change to the next higher gear, which reduces your mechanical advantage with each shift.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 AM
Contributors

Is someone going to move this out of the E60 section? Anything slightly off topic from me and BOOM off it goes within 17 seconds
Old 12-19-2007, 01:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by elyk' post='490004' date='Nov 4 2007, 09:17 PM
porsche+ferraris engines are highly tuned, but reduced life. if bmw made cars this tuned, reliability will be a problem.
BMW does make cars this tuned with the M class. These cars require strict maintenance to be reliable. Of couse if you can afford one of these maintenance costs are not an issue.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by pukka' post='508566' date='Dec 19 2007, 06:09 PM
BMW does make cars this tuned with the M class. These cars require strict maintenance to be reliable. Of couse if you can afford one of these maintenance costs are not an issue.

At least in the Ferrari case, don't forget about higher emissions and fuel economy.