The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

GS430 vs Acura RL - Test drives today

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

So in doing my research I had to test these two cars today (i can't make myself drive an Infiniti, no matter what they say; that is one ugly duck, inside and out). Please note I really have not driven a Japanese car for some time and never had much love for them. I am very close to getting 550i with manual. Also note I am not at all an expert in cars or performance so not bringing any expertise to this evaluation. This is just my two cents:

Acura RL: its not a bad looking car, nice size overall, not your classic luxury ride, wheels leave a bit to be desired, very bland 17". The RL is front wheel drive, V6; test drive car was filthy, which I found pretty funny actually. Obviously someone drove this car home at night and liked Twix bars, wrappers were everywhere. Poor sales guy was mortified. The layout of cockpit is nice, clean, concise and Nav system seemed very advanced (more than others I have seen). You get a hell of a deal for base price, much more then the add ons with BMW options. The issue I had was the engine and driving experience. This car, even with paddles and tipronic, had no power and no drive to speak of. I tried everything and it was about the same as my current 2002 530i Step. Yes there are lots of technical toys but you really didn't feel much of anything in terms of velocity or performance. The price was right if you want something that is affordable in the luxury range, just don't expect to be thrilled with the ride. (I like my friends TL a lot more actually)

Lexus GS430: This is a very sharp looking ride, 18" wheels, very crisp lines that really impressed me. The seats have the most amazing leather (much better then 550i) and the cockpit is well done. You know you are in an expensive, adult car. Frankly except for center console, its the best cockpit of the bunch. The gages are brightly lit and well appointed in front of you and dash, NAV, music, seats seems to be aligned very well. Note one thing I liked is the NAV system is activated by touching the screen, not by a idrive or knob that you rotate. Small item but you know it will be a big deal with everyday usage. Same set up as RL and 550 in terms of remote entry, lights, memory seats, etc. The V8 RW drive engine is nice, but again, even with Tiptronic, it didn't compare to the 550i for performance, feel, noise and sheer power. I'm not sure why, maybe the suspension is set to be more of a looser fit for luxury reasons? It certainly drives more like a mercedes then a BMW and that bothered me. (no manual, just tiptronic 6 speed). Overall I am very impressed with this car, my wife would certainly like it but that is why I got her a Volvo XC90 AWD SUV.

Overall impression is the RL is for someone who wants to say they drive a Luxury car, but can get it for least amount paid (you get what you pay for in my opinion). The Lexus is a high end luxury car, almost same price as BMW 550 (within $5000) but is less of a sports car and more of a true bling car. It would be my choice if I was 55 not 40. (not trying to piss anyone off with that statement, but it is a true luxury car and feels like it too). I loved everything about the Lexus, just didn't get the "umph" that comes with the 550i engine. Again, its not a subtle difference, you can feel how soft and flexible the Lexus is, where the 550 is harder, more agile, and excited.

I'm sticking with my 550i for now.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='248949' date='Mar 2 2006, 10:00 PM
So in doing my research I had to test these two cars today (i can't make myself drive an Infiniti, no matter what they say; that is one ugly duck, inside and out). Please note I really have not driven a Japanese car for some time and never had much love for them. I am very close to getting 550i with manual. Also note I am not at all an expert in cars or performance so not bringing any expertise to this evaluation. This is just my two cents:

Acura RL: its not a bad looking car, nice size overall, not your classic luxury ride, wheels leave a bit to be desired, very bland 17". The RL is front wheel drive, V6; test drive car was filthy, which I found pretty funny actually. Obviously someone drove this car home at night and liked Twix bars, wrappers were everywhere. Poor sales guy was mortified. The layout of cockpit is nice, clean, concise and Nav system seemed very advanced (more than others I have seen). You get a hell of a deal for base price, much more then the add ons with BMW options. The issue I had was the engine and driving experience. This car, even with paddles and tipronic, had no power and no drive to speak of. I tried everything and it was about the same as my current 2002 530i Step. Yes there are lots of technical toys but you really didn't feel much of anything in terms of velocity or performance. The price was right if you want something that is affordable in the luxury range, just don't expect to be thrilled with the ride. (I like my friends TL a lot more actually)

Lexus GS430: This is a very sharp looking ride, 18" wheels, very crisp lines that really impressed me. The seats have the most amazing leather (much better then 550i) and the cockpit is well done. You know you are in an expensive, adult car. Frankly except for center console, its the best cockpit of the bunch. The gages are brightly lit and well appointed in front of you and dash, NAV, music, seats seems to be aligned very well. Note one thing I liked is the NAV system is activated by touching the screen, not by a idrive or knob that you rotate. Small item but you know it will be a big deal with everyday usage. Same set up as RL and 550 in terms of remote entry, lights, memory seats, etc. The V8 RW drive engine is nice, but again, even with Tiptronic, it didn't compare to the 550i for performance, feel, noise and sheer power. I'm not sure why, maybe the suspension is set to be more of a looser fit for luxury reasons? It certainly drives more like a mercedes then a BMW and that bothered me. (no manual, just tiptronic 6 speed). Overall I am very impressed with this car, my wife would certainly like it but that is why I got her a Volvo XC90 AWD SUV.

Overall impression is the RL is for someone who wants to say they drive a Luxury car, but can get it for least amount paid (you get what you pay for in my opinion). The Lexus is a high end luxury car, almost same price as BMW 550 (within $5000) but is less of a sports car and more of a true bling car. It would be my choice if I was 55 not 40. (not trying to piss anyone off with that statement, but it is a true luxury car and feels like it too). I loved everything about the Lexus, just didn't get the "umph" that comes with the 550i engine. Again, its not a subtle difference, you can feel how soft and flexible the Lexus is, where the 550 is harder, more agile, and excited.

I test drove a manual 530ix today and frankly, the RL (which is about same price range) doesn't even come close. I'm not sure why anyone could choose an RL over a 530 - again except for all the toys that come with the Acura. I do love that manual stick; easy clutch, smooth shifting. I loved it and will order the 550i manual this weekend.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='249317' date='Mar 3 2006, 10:15 AM
I test drove a manual 530ix today and frankly, the RL (which is about same price range) doesn't even come close. I'm not sure why anyone could choose an RL over a 530 - again except for all the toys that come with the Acura. I do love that manual stick; easy clutch, smooth shifting. I loved it and will order the 550i manual this weekend.
That's why Acura RL never sell well in US. Although RL usually is more than $10,000 cheaper than 530i.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Members

550 is indeed a nice car. If you can wait until fall, check out the Lexus GS460 that?s coming out. The rumor is it will push close too 400hp. That should satisfy the "umph" you are looking forl.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Newbie101' post='249360' date='Mar 3 2006, 02:27 PM
550 is indeed a nice car. If you can wait until fall, check out the Lexus GS460 that?s coming out. The rumor is it will push close too 400hp. That should satisfy the "umph" you are looking forl.
I've got to think that will push the price point up to about even with 550 . Unless they come out with stick it will never feel like a BMW.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='249695' date='Mar 4 2006, 10:29 AM
I've got to think that will push the price point up to about even with 550 . Unless they come out with stick it will never feel like a BMW.
Of course it won't feel like a 550. They are different cars.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

"The Lexus is a high end luxury car, almost same price as BMW 550 (within $5000) but is less of a sports car and more of a true bling car. It would be my choice if I was 55 not 40. (not trying to piss anyone off with that statement, but it is a true luxury car and feels like it too). "

Whoa! I'm almost 55 and I'd never give up my 545 for a Lexus! That's a bad generalization if there ever was one!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Members

thanks for the info I never drove the lexus before buying the 550.... to me a lexus just doesnt do it for me
Old 03-25-2006, 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='248949' date='Mar 2 2006, 09:00 PM

Drive the GS430 with the sunny on top of you and you'll regret that Lexus angled the screen that way. Lexus leather is soft, but it won't last as long as the dakota leather. Lexus leather is delicate compared to BMW. Lexus tuned the exhaust to sound sporty. Personal, I prefer the sporty performance in a luxury car versus a sporty "sound" from the exhaust everytime I step on the pedal in aluxury car.

I looked at the GS430 before buying the 545i. The trunk size on the Lexus was the final straw that made me buy the bimmer. Lexus reliability was very hard to get over since I had owned a LS 400 before.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Members

The current Lexus GS430 is equivalent in price to a nicely loaded 530i / xi. I still love the driving fun of the 530xi, however it's tempting to have all that Lexus or any V8 power in any vehicle.

HOWEVER, once the new Lexus GS460 comes our early next year with the estimated 380HP and still in the same price range as a loaded 530i / xi, I have to say the GS460 is definitely a vehicle to consider. Since the V8 power at this price range is tough to resists compared to BMW'S inline 6. The 550i would still be my choice, but loaded, it would still be several thousand dollars more than the equivalent Lexus GS460.

Quick Reply: GS430 vs Acura RL - Test drives today