The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Drove a Corvette Today

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at this car shop today, and there was this guy with a Corvette there that had about 500HP, we got
into talking and I was showing him stuff on the M3 and he was showing me the engine on the Corvette and showing me the exhaust so then he asks if I want to take a quick spin...."sure" haha

So he drives first and then we switch off, that thing hauls ASS, I didn't get to crazy with it but it's damn fast....now the mixed feelings...the thing was a 07 and was FALLING apart, all the panels were loose, the "leather" on the shifter/ebrake was loose, the doors rattled...etc...you guys really need to stop complaint about rattles or squeaks from the interior When you get on it, the shifter freaking SHAKES all over the place, the first time I shifted fast I COMPLETLEY missed the gate for 2nd gear and ended up in neutral lolol, he had a stage 3 racing clutch in it and he said don't worry if you don't drive it smooth, no one does...he was amazed at how smooth I shifted, because honestly his stage 3 racing clutch felt less aggressive than the stock clutch on the ///M3 it was actually easier to
drive the Vette smother lololol....but it's definity a fast and raw car, and a lot of
fun to drive, especially cause the tires where basically bald

Thanks for reading

-Krozi
Old 03-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

pewp
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Corvette interiors were always lousy. Recently GM addressed the issue by offering an upgrade package (for MY 2009 I think) - but for the money they want I'd look into a custom setup.

The rattles are due to many things, but mainly due to the lousy adhesives GM used for years and years. I'm not sure about the chassis design - but I know on Camaro's installing subframe connectors takes care of this.

Drivetrain vibrations probably mean the car was beat on and a stage 3 racing clutch kinda emphasizes this. A well maintained Vette wouldn't have this issue.

Glad you had fun with the car - an instructor I knew showed You Toube clips of Vette instrument clusters when the pedal was floored. I never saw a speedo needle climb as fast as a tach needle - lol
Old 03-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

I test drove a corvette before buying the 6 series...

Corvette positives:
Fast car, fun to drive

Negatives:
Small interior space
Cheap interior/plasticy
Crap stereo
Horrible on gas
Uncomfortable seats
Its a GM

Did I miss anything? lol
Old 03-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by tbal

Corvette positives:
Fast car, fun to drive

Negatives:
Small interior space
Cheap interior/plasticy
Crap stereo
Horrible on gas
Uncomfortable seats
Its a GM

Did I miss anything? lol
That about covers it...oh and they also
come with run flat tires...

It did have a HUD though....
Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tbal

Corvette positives:
Fast car, fun to drive

Negatives:
Small interior space
Cheap interior/plasticy
Crap stereo
Horrible on gas
Uncomfortable seats
Its a GM

Did I miss anything? lol
That about covers it...oh and they also
come with run flat tires...

It did have a HUD though....
Also the position of the shifter SUCKS...
Old 03-07-2010, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Horrible on gas? I've rented two from Hertz and was amazed how good they were on gas especially after stepping on them any number of times and driving at speeds slightly above the posted limit. I think I got over 20 mpg!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1600
Horrible on gas? I've rented two from Hertz and was amazed how good they were on gas especially after stepping on them any number of times and driving at speeds slightly above the posted limit. I think I got over 20 mpg!
On the highway, the regular Corvette gets 26mpg, the Z06 corvette gets 24mpg, and the ZR1 still gets 20mpg....seems like they are really aerodynamic..
Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

You can't beat the dollar per hp
Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by -Mike-
You can't beat the dollar per hp
Or broken panels/square inch.

Quick Reply: Drove a Corvette Today