The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

At a cross roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have waivered for months and months about keeping my 750Li or getting something else. I could not find anything that really got me excited until I did a little more looking. I have it down to 3 cars. I would like to know what you guys think.

1) BMW M5

2) MB E63

3) Jag XF-R

Being a bimmer guy at heart my first thought is the M5. I love the lines on the Jag. I have a friend that has the the E63 and that is just a bad ass ride. What are the advantages and disadvantages to each car? This will be my daily driver for now at least until next year.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by KU530
Well I have waivered for months and months about keeping my 750Li or getting something else. I could not find anything that really got me excited until I did a little more looking. I have it down to 3 cars. I would like to know what you guys think.

1) BMW M5

2) MB E63

3) Jag XF-R

Being a bimmer guy at heart my first thought is the M5. I love the lines on the Jag. I have a friend that has the the E63 and that is just a bad ass ride. What are the advantages and disadvantages to each car? This will be my daily driver for now at least until next year.
My choice would be the M5, not just for the reason that it's a friggin M5, the MB IS a very nice car with great power. Since you said your friend already has one then no need for you to have one. The Jag? Looks nice, but it will always bother me that it was a Ford product until Tata bought them. Those 2 makers don;t exactly inspire my confidence. Good luck
Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

Originally Posted by pjinca
My choice would be the M5, not just for the reason that it's a friggin M5, the MB IS a very nice car with great power. Since you said your friend already has one then no need for you to have one. The Jag? Looks nice, but it will always bother me that it was a Ford product until Tata bought them. Those 2 makers don;t exactly inspire my confidence. Good luck
+1
Old 04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Not a bad choice on your list.

The M5 will perform as well as you expect.

The XF-R will amaze you - it is a MUCH better car than you might think.

The E63 doesn't get as much love on here as it should - it is another awesome car.

Personally, I would go for the XF-R but I have a soft spot for Jaguar. None of these cars will disappoint, buy the one that does it for you and/or based on the deal.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Members

While I loved my M5, I'd go with the E63. Jag shouldn't even be in the same sentence as the other two...ick.
M5 is kinda 'dated' now. Poor fuel economy WILL get on your nerves at some point.
E63 is a torque monster. Gotta love that. Styling is subjective, but I like it and since it just came out, it's not 'dated'.

Big downside to the MB is you'll be like Calton...and no one wants that.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by bonehead
While I loved my M5, I'd go with the E63. Jag shouldn't even be in the same sentence as the other two...ick.
M5 is kinda 'dated' now. Poor fuel economy WILL get on your nerves at some point.
E63 is a torque monster. Gotta love that. Styling is subjective, but I like it and since it just came out, it's not 'dated'.

Couldn't disagree more on the XF-R. I don't know whether you've driven one, but it is a spectacular car.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i Space Gray/ Black Dakota Leather interior with SMG, Sports Package+ Paddle Shifters, HUD, NAV, Premium Package, Multi-Contour Seats, Xenons , Logic 7.

I think the V10 M5 is in a class of its own...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

So far I have test driven the Jag and oh boy what a ride. I did not expect that from a Jag. That car is a killer. The interior is the most elegant that I have ever been in other than my Uncles Phantom. The Jag halls ass and is very nimble I was expecting it to be floaty. As far as it being a Ford product I am not sure I car who owns them. They are not the ones building them. Hell Ford owned Aston Martin I doubt that many if any of you on here would turn on down if you had the money for one just because Ford owned them.

I plan to drive the E63 later tonight. My BMW dealer does not have an M5 in stock new or used for me to drive. The lines on the Jag are hard to beat. The only disadvantage that I see with the Jag is that there are not many used XF-R's out there like the M5 and E63's.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by KU530
So far I have test driven the Jag and oh boy what a ride. I did not expect that from a Jag. That car is a killer. The interior is the most elegant that I have ever been in other than my Uncles Phantom. The Jag halls ass and is very nimble I was expecting it to be floaty. As far as it being a Ford product I am not sure I car who owns them. They are not the ones building them. Hell Ford owned Aston Martin I doubt that many if any of you on here would turn on down if you had the money for one just because Ford owned them.

I plan to drive the E63 later tonight. My BMW dealer does not have an M5 in stock new or used for me to drive. The lines on the Jag are hard to beat. The only disadvantage that I see with the Jag is that there are not many used XF-R's out there like the M5 and E63's.
Actually I WOULD turn down an Aston Martin for an M6 or a Porsche 911 any day of the week. Both of the other cars kicked the Aston's arse in the Top Gear testing (in Wales as I recall). And yes, the fact that it's a Ford product does turn me off significantly - EEEEEWWWWWW FORD!!!!!

The E63 is a great car, you will love driving it. The M5 remains my choice among the 3 however.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bonehead
Well Damn if Calton has one I definatly can not drive one LOL!

Quick Reply: At a cross roads