The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

BMW Marketing - Hello?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Infinity is really working this model. It seems like you see it everywhere. I'm not going there, though.

The thing is - after owning 5 BMWs in a row - I never seem to hear from BMW that they want to sell me a new car.

I realize it is easier for BMW to just have me drop to my knees and beg them for a new car (glad to do that), but, come on - a little effort on their part is all I'm askin'.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributors

hmm... maybe its your dealership? do you buy new? i bought mine new 5 years ago, and for every new car that has been offered by BMW in this time, my dealership has sent me little brochures on and then follow ups of when viewing may be available...
Old 05-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Actually, I typically buy a used BMW, so maybe that makes a differnce. Although, I would think that a used car buyer would be just as good a target for a new model. And I've serviced my BMWs all at the same local dealer, so they know who I am and what I own.

Interestingly, the Infinity brochure looks to be a national mailing, with a customized dealer name and address added on the cover letter. It happens to show the neaby Infinity dealer which owns the nearby BMW shop too.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' date='May 3 2005, 10:04 AM
Infinity is really working this model.? It seems like you see it everywhere.? I'm not going there, though.

The thing is - after owning 5 BMWs in a row - I never seem to hear from BMW that they want to sell me a new car.

I realize it is easier for BMW to just have me drop to my knees and beg them for a new car (glad to do that), but, come on - a little effort on their part is all I'm askin'.
[snapback]123443[/snapback]
hmm.

I have been bombarded by BMW with marketing stuff, free magazine, and host of other stuff.

you bought used BMW. How would think BMW can obtain your information?
Old 05-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Well, how did Infinity get my information? It's called marketing.

Also, the local BMW dealer has all my info from buying CPO cars from them and having them serviced there.

Hey, I'll take the Utilimate Driving Machine over the Ultimate Marketing Machine any time - that's why I keep buying BMWs.

So, maybe now that I'm on-track to buy a new BMW I'll get all the junk mail from BMW too and live to regret having asking for it.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

I've also gotten a few mailers from Infiniti on the M35/45. But then I drive a G35 so they do know how to get in touch with me.

I get plenty of stuff from BMW as well and look forward to recieving more. It's kinda fun getting some of that stuff in the mail.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:16 AM
NES
Members

Tachyon, sometimes it depends where the parketing department is getting their list from. There are times that automotive manufacturers will compile their own marketing list (in-house) and therefore in your case they would not have your information being that you usually purchase used, however there are times where they go a step further and purchase lists from data companies (which all they do is compile lists). In some cases they target people of different incomes, ages, interests or what has been happening for a while now.... vehicle registrations. Usually they would send you materials on an Infinity if you already have an Infiniti registered, however they sometimes send the information if you have a certain type of vehicle registered as well. ie: luxury, sport, minivan, etc... Did you purchase from a used car dealer/private sale or through BMW Certified Pre-Owned?
Old 05-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributors

Hey NES

Your summary makes sense. Thanks.

I purchased my current CPO 740 at a BMW dealer. I'm not sure where my info gets placed utlimately.

From the other posts here, BMW is clearly getting the word out to many others. I just find it odd that having owned a BMW of one type or another since 1987 (some new from dealers, some used from dealers, some used from private parties) that I don't get floods of mail from BMW.

And I should absolutely be smack-dab in their cross-hairs in terms of demographics.

On the other hand, maybe they do know me well - why waste marketing money on me when I will buy BMW anyway?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Hehe I get loads of stuff from BMW but I bombard them with those little "Business Reply Mail" cards LOL Other Car Makes too.