The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Bangle Vs Benz

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' date='Oct 18 2005, 01:23 PM
I prefer all the BWM models over the MB. Why? Well I love driving and the driving experience is much higher that in a Benz
[snapback]185790[/snapback]
Excelent put!

If one likes more models from mercedes than bmw maybe one should buy a merc.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='166508' date='Sep 3 2005, 01:34 AM
I think the C class is better looking than the 3 Series old or new.
The E-Class is better looking than the 5-Series.

However, the 7-Series is much better looking than the old or new S-Class and the X5 is much better looking than the old or new ML.

With that said, I still purchased an E61 Touring 5-Series because I like driving and the BMW is more fun to drive. The E61 also has a better looking rear than the E-Class wagon.

What do you guys think about the above assessment?

How would you compare the 1-series to equivilent Benz?
How about the SLK and the equivilent BMW?
I think the SLK outshines the Z4 roadster anyday - in that segment - a car needs to knock you speechless - & the SLK does that for me. I have test driven both cars & the Z4's ride is just to harsh. The SLK350 has a nice balance of sportiness & luxury.

The Z4 Coupe is a different story - it looks better than the roadster
but i hope BMW pays heed & improves ride comfort.

right now if i had the chance - it would be a SLK350
Old 02-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d white, auto, professional sat-nav with internet, variable damper control, sports steering wheel, extended lighting, retractable tow bar, wing mirrors with dimming & folding, full electric seats with memory & lumber adjustment, etc.

The 6-series is a nice looking car but the Merc SL is much nicer. Merc never intended the A or B class to compete with BMW, but with VW who traditionally sold the second car in E-Class & S-Class households. The C Sports coupe was intended to compete with the 3 - series compact and now with the 1 -series.
The C-Class is now quite old and the next sedan for replacement but it does still sell well, but is no 3 -series by far the class leader. The E-Class obviously competes against the 5 - series where it is loosing the war due to previous reliability issues more than looks. Merc needs to change / fix it fast.
The CLS is a strange car which has no natural competitor at BMW yet, as does the CL. The S-Class really does outshine the 7 -series even more so in the new car.

The new ML is streets away from the previous car and now a match for the X5, the GL will be on its own and Merc has nothing up against the X3 which is not a great car.

So in the crutial 3 - series, 5 -series class of cars Merc looses, further up the food chain it improves.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

1 Series vs. A Class I choose 1 Series (Don't Really like either)
3 Series vs. C Class I choose 3 Series (The new 3 im iffy about but still like it more then the C)
5 Series vs. E Class I choose 5 Series (Do I have to answer that )
6 Series vs. SL Class or CLS Class I choose 6 Series (haredest decision I love each of these equally)
7 Series vs. S Class I choose 7 Series (The next gen S class is very appealing but I always loved the 7)
Z4 vs. SLK I choose SLK (I love the Z4 but MB really did an awsome job on that SLK)
X5 vs. ML Class I choose X5 (I hate the ML new and old, I love the X5 cept I would get a Range over all)
Old 02-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

If this comparison were not only about looks, but were about which car I'd like to drive or own, I'd probably pick a BMW every time.

Having said that, you guys might think I'm nuts, but I actually think the E Class is better looking than the E60. But like I alluded to, I bought the E60 cause the E Class drives like $hit.

As for the rest (in terms of looks):
1 Series vs. A Class - 1 Series
3 Series vs. C Class - new 3 Series
6 Series vs. SL/CL/CLK/CLS Class - SL
7 Series vs. S Class - new S Class
Z4 vs. SLK - tie
X5 vs. ML - X5
Old 02-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Members

My Ride: '12 BMW 520d Touring

Originally Posted by Hobart' post='166508' date='Sep 3 2005, 07:34 AM
I think the C class is better looking than the 3 Series old or new.
The E-Class is better looking than the 5-Series.

However, the 7-Series is much better looking than the old or new S-Class and the X5 is much better looking than the old or new ML.

With that said, I still purchased an E61 Touring 5-Series because I like driving and the BMW is more fun to drive. The E61 also has a better looking rear than the E-Class wagon.

What do you guys think about the above assessment?
Well, what do I think of the assessment above.

C-class vs. 3-series.
I think they look equally good, but from the drivers perspective I would get a 3-series.

E-class vs. 5-series.
No problems with the E-class, that car looks good. But the BMW 5-series is just mind-blowing, so no chance for any car to top the looks of the E60/E61. They are just an awsome looking car.

S-klasse vs. 7-series.
Close call, I always loved the BMW 7-series. But when they changed to the new model (E65) I just walked straight over to the Mercedes S-class (W220, after face-lift). At the moment, I still think that car looks really good. But them those morons at Mercedes got the new model, which looks horrible (espacially the back).
Anyway, when comparing the new S-class to the new (face-lift) 7-series, the face-lift 7-series wins hands down. The face-lift has really done well for the car, it makes a really good looking car.

ML-class vs. X5.
Huge X5 fan here, for me even the old X5 looks better to me than the new ML-class. Although exterior & interior look dated, the X5 still appeals more to me then the ML.

A short conclusion. A Mercedes is a very nice car, but it's a passenger's car. The BMW is not only a drivers car, but their design makes me twist my head time after time.

So no surprise here, BMW wins hands down.