The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Audi A6 named World Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys but the a6 is really getting worldwide recognition especially in europe and the above award was voted amongst canadians. I did order the a6 originally originally but cancelled after i learnt my bmw lease rates dropped and it was 400/month canadian cheaper in a lease.
The 545 is an awesom vehicule especially for my age category 30-35 however I would probably say the audi is the better car for the more mature market being 40-50 which is the bulk of these luxury sedans
Old 02-26-2005, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

Sorry, but i totally disagree, the older market wants a softer ride to start with, the audi has a very firm ride.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:15 AM
Members

I agree, the Audi ride is too firm. I've owned a '98 A4, a '00 A6 and a '04 S4. I look forward to a more comfortable ride when I pick up my 545i next week!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by maylander739' date='Feb 26 2005, 08:07 AM
Sorry, but i totally disagree, the older market wants a softer ride to start with, the audi has a very firm ride.
[snapback]94605[/snapback]
Yes it is firmer...but without the sport suspension the A6 is fine
(audi also announced they will be putting a variable type suspension next year that will only get firmer as you go faster)
Istill can't wait to get my bimmer in april!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 04:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by maylander739' date='Feb 26 2005, 07:07 AM
[snapback]94605[/snapback]
All inclusive statements are invariably wrong.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

My defintion of old is "older than I am." Having said that I am almost 56 years old. I drove the A6 about two weeks ago. I was able to take it to an abadoned parking lot, and do donuts to really get the feel of Quatro. A couple of days later I drove the 545. No comparison. The Audi did nothing to get me excited, and I was thrilled after driving the 545. The 545 is one hell of sedan, and I would think if driving pleasure is your goal the 545 wins hands down. It has a comfortable ride, but at the same time handles like a sports car and accelerates very briskly. My only concern is if the 545 is this good, what will the 550 be like. In the meantime I'm driving an 03 M3 coupe so I do not feel deprived.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

Trust me, I drove A6es in both sport and non-sport flavors; both of them displayed execrable ride quality. A Ford F-150 has both of them beat hands-down. Not sure a Chevy Cobalt would not give better ride. And my 52-year-old butt needs more cush.

I cannot conceive of why anyone would select the A6 3.2-liter over the Acura RL, which provides a superior AWD system with demonstrably superior reliability and electronic technology. And I cannot conceive of why anyone would not choose the 545i over the 4.2-liter, if funds are available. But that's just me!
Old 02-26-2005, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaxBuck' date='Feb 26 2005, 11:07 AM
I cannot conceive of why anyone would select the A6 3.2-liter over the Acura RL, which provides a superior AWD system with demonstrably superior reliability and electronic technology.? And I cannot conceive of why anyone would not choose the 545i over the 4.2-liter, if funds are available.? But that's just me!
[snapback]94645[/snapback]
The AWD system of the Acura RL is demonstrably superior to that of the "ancient" Audi AWD and we'll see the impact of this when Acura releases the first year sales numbers of its new RL.

That being said, the free marketing that the Audi A6 is getting from its selection as "world car" or whatever is not likely to take away sales of either the Acura RL or the e60 -- the cost conscious buyer will purchase the Acura RL (lower cost and superior quality/reliability) and those who can afford it will buy or lease the market leading BMW e60 (superior resale value/residuals and performance).

So, we are back where we started with Audi -- a second tier player in the premium auto segment, which is reflected in its poor reliability and low resales/residuals.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by montreal canuck' date='Feb 24 2005, 10:17 PM
The Audi A6 sedan emerged from a field of 36 competitors to claim the inaugural World Car of the Year award at a ceremony held in Canada yesterday, during the media preview for the Canadian International Auto Show.

"The concept of national borders is now almost non-existent in terms of where vehicles and their components are designed, engineered, developed, and built ... or where they are sold," said British automotive journalist, Graham Johnson, who is co-chair of the award programme.

World Car of the Year has no affiliation with, nor is it in any way influenced by any publication, auto show, automaker, or other commercial enterprise. A jury of 48 automotive journalists from 21 countries individually reviewed, evaluated, and voted on the 36 eligible vehicles, by secret ballot, in two separate rounds of voting. To be eligible for consideration for the inaugural World Car of the Year award, a vehicle must have been available for purchase in at least five countries on at least two continents, prior to January 1, 2005.

IS THIS CRAZY???? I DROVE THE A6 AND THE 545I AND ORDERED THE 545 IMMEDIATELY AFTER......HOW COULD THE? A6 HAVE WON?? ?
[snapback]94117[/snapback]
I believe the A6 is a cut above the rest, but not as good as a five series. In the UK the majority of A6's I see on the road are powered by 1.9 diesel engines which are nippy and rough. Can you imagine BMW fitting such a crap engine in the five? I also believe that the sort of people who opt for the A6 aren't car minded and do it for the low tax bracket and space (Its a spacious car no argument) I have sat in the new A6 during a forum I was invited to and completed an appraisal of the interior - in a nutshell its a well put together mishmash of switches and out of place trim coupled to a large plank of wood. Hopefully I haven't upset anyone on any A6 forum, By the way is there one? Enough said
Old 03-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

Honestly I dont know why people keep making threads about the A6 like it has a chance for competition against E60. I guess E-Class just isnt up to par anymore so Audi is forced for the popular comparision.

Quick Reply: Audi A6 named World Car of the Year