The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

Acura RL facelift in the works (E60 LCI copycat??)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday morning I attended a research study, I was selected to attend by invitation based on the fact that I'm an E60 owner. I even got paid to do something that I would probably do for free, anyway, here's what I saw:
Started with a questionnaire about environmentally friendly cars (Gas/electric hybrids, Ethanol, Hydrogen, etc...)
Then they moved us to a show room, the following cars were there:
Audi A6
BMW 530i
Infinity G35
Saab 95
Volvo S60
all these were the same cars you can see at the dealership and out in the streets, even the BMW was not the LCI but the pre-08, they were all modestly equipped (No Nav, no Sport). But the big mystery was the sportier looking Acura RL, here's what I noticed:
New headlights, smaller to accommodate an extension of the grill, it kind of look good
New taillights, smaller and modern (Could not tell if they were LEDs)
New front grille and bumper
New rear bumper with integrated rear exhaust
New interior as well, I'm not so familiar with the current interior but what I saw, I did not like, I think they should have left that untouched.
Blueish/purple lighting all around the dashboard and AC/Nav/Radio controls. Also on the headlights there were hints of blueish going on, it look kind of cool, not sure if it is DOT compliant or they just put it on the mule.

They also had a questionnaire about the following option topics: Safety, radio and entertainment. I don't think there was anything new. One safety measure I did not know about was a drowsiness alert that checks the movement of your pupils to see if you are looking at the road or not, if you are not, then it has a visual and audible alert. The other safety options were the adaptive xenon headlights (Been around for a while), lane change warning (New in the E60 LCI as you know) and the blind spot info. system (Currently in the S80, perhaps as an option in S60, not sure)

Regarding the Acura RL, in overall I liked what I saw, definitely much sportier. They are for sure trying to keep up with the E60 LCI, they touched every aspect that the LCI did: Front, rear, lights and interior.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='419402' date='Apr 30 2007, 11:11 AM
Yesterday morning I attended a research study, I was selected to attend by invitation based on the fact that I'm an E60 owner. I even got paid to do something that I would probably do for free, anyway, here's what I saw:
Started with a questionnaire about environmentally friendly cars (Gas/electric hybrids, Ethanol, Hydrogen, etc...)
Audi A6
BMW 530i
Infinity G35
Saab 95
Volvo S60
all these were the same cars you can see at the dealership and out in the streets, even the BMW was not the LCI but the pre-08, they were all modestly equipped (No Nav, no Sport). But the big mystery was the sportier looking Acura RL, here's what I noticed:
New headlights, smaller to accommodate an extension of the grill, it kind of look good
New interior as well, I'm not so familiar with the current interior but what I saw, I did not like, I think they should have left that untouched.
Blueish/purple lighting all around the dashboard and AC/Nav/Radio controls. Also on the headlights there were hints of blueish going on, it look kind of cool, not sure if it is DOT compliant or they just put it on the mule.

They also had a questionnaire about the following option topics: Safety, radio and entertainment. I don't think there was anything new. One safety measure I did not know about was a drowsiness alert that checks the movement of your pupils to see if you are looking at the road or not, if you are not, then it has a visual and audible alert. The other safety options were the adaptive xenon headlights (Been around for a while), lane change warning (New in the E60 LCI as you know) and the blind spot info. system (Currently in the S80, perhaps as an option in S60, not sure)
Regarding the Acura RL, in overall I liked what I saw, definitely much sportier. They are for sure trying to keep up with the E60 LCI, they touched every aspect that the LCI did: Front, rear, lights and interior.
Interesting....I am a current RL owner looking to make the move to a BMW and this is the main reason - bland styling. I still may make the move and check out the NEW RL in 1-2 years.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='419402' date='Apr 30 2007, 11:11 PM
Audi A6
BMW 530i
Infinity G35
Saab 95
Volvo S60

any pic of this car?
We in HK dont have Acura.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='429015' date='May 28 2007, 05:22 AM
any pic of this car?
Does HK have http://www.acura.com? You can see the RL there...
Old 05-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 Silver Grey 523i | Step, M-Kit, M5 Trunk Finisher, 19" ACS Type IV Wheels, Goodyear F1 GS-D3 245/35/19, Grey Dakota Leather, Maple Wood Sycamore Anthracite, Advanced Climate Control, Electric rear sunblind, Electric folding mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle, Lights package, PDC, Rain sensor, Business Radio, CD Changer

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='429015' date='May 28 2007, 05:22 PM
any pic of this car?
Actually we DO have Acura here, and RL is the only model they offer over here in Hong Kong. The thing we don't have is a dedicated Acura dealership, they used to have one, but the competition just drove them out. They now sell the Acura inside a nicely decorated corner in a Honda showroom.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by mic325' post='429064' date='May 28 2007, 11:44 PM
Actually we DO have Acura here, and RL is the only model they offer over here in Hong Kong. The thing we don't have is a dedicated Acura dealership, they used to have one, but the competition just drove them out. They now sell the Acura inside a nicely decorated corner in a Honda showroom.
why dont they just chuck it out just like the smart they dont sell alot, wast of time if you ask me.
It like the S2000 they dont sell that in Honda HK, only water goods just too much for a jap car, for that price I get a mini or a BM
Old 07-07-2007, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='429207' date='May 28 2007, 06:39 PM
for that price I get a mini or a BM

SMART MAN!
Old 11-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

I received another email/request from that same research company, in case you are a resident of Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles or Costa Mesa and would like to sign up:

Caroline Stone <Caroline@synovate.net> wrote:
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 09:08:49 -0800
To:
Subject: Join Upcoming Focus Group Sessions in Your Area

This is a reminder that we are looking for focus group participants in your area to discuss
automotive related topics. If you've already joined our panel, please disregard this email
as there is no additional benefit to registering twice. As always, if you know someone who
lives in Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles or Costa Mesa, please forward them this email.
We?re always looking for more people to join our panel.

In the past, you've been contacted by us to participate in automotive market research.
We are now looking for individuals to participate in our automotive Consumer Voice Panel.
If you agree to join the panel, you will be contacted throughout the year to participate in
focus group research at a facility in your area. You will earn $100 to $300 for each 1-2 hour
focus group session.

If you are interested in joining our panel, please click on the link provided below. This link
will redirect you to our website where you will complete a brief 5-minute questionnaire. This
questionnaire enables us to better understand which focus groups you will be eligible to
participate in.

Please note that any information that you provide will be used for research purposes only.
Your participation will not expose you to subsequent sales calls nor will we share your information
with external marketing companies. All responses will be handled confidentially and the results
from the focus groups will not be sold.

Your opinions matter - let your voice be heard by joining the Consumer Voice Panel.

We look forward to seeing you soon at one of our focus groups!

www.consumervoicepanel.com

Invitation code: 01

If you know anyone that would like to participate in our panel, please forward them this email.
We?re always looking for more people to join our panel.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Interesting, I looked at the Acura line before I pulled the trigger on the 535i...the RL was one of the worst looking models in the line...the interior was nice but standing in the front and rear of the car...all I kept seeing was the Honda Accord...NO THANKS!! I liked the TL the best, but it wasn't quite large enough or upscale enough for what a I wanted. To be honest, I looked at the Infinity line as well and their upscale model was even "frumpier" looking (IMO) than the RL...I realize that auto manufacturers are trying to have a "commom look" acrosss their lineup, but the Japenese companies (in general) tend to be bland and not enough differentiation...example in point...what does a loaded Camry cost compared to it's sister car the Lexus ES? I wouldn't pay an additional $5 to $10K for the Lexus badging on the ES.

Must admit the GS line did interest me for a while!
Old 11-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

I see HONDA ACCORD interior is sweet but that has to be the worst looking car on the road. Along with the new accord and they used to be so sweet