The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...

30' Race...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

OMG coming home from work, ran into a silver 996 Porsche Carrera which seemed to want to play. It was around 21:30 local time, 8-9 degrees Celsius, dry and medium to somewhere heavy traffic. Also the race happened in city but i'm happy i could keep it in the limits cuz the guy seemed slightly more mental than me.

Anyway i was ahead of him and just gave it a push (40-70) and wouldn't you know he did the same. Then quickly i hit DTC button left the DTC mode active (road was rather bumpy and only one lane knowing i will have to many times get on the tram rails), and shifted to manual mode and nailed it. He did the same and we quickly got to 120-140 punishing th brakes quite often to avoid the traffic and dodge the obstacles. All this time he was right in my ass, but showing very very little reserves to pass. Also the conditions made it almost impossible for passing. I could even pull away slightly using the torque under heavvy acceleration from all those brake-avoid-accelerate moves. THe distance covered was like 4 kms or so with 3-4 redlights. Proud that he didn't get the chance to get in front of me since i'm sure he would have crossed the red lights. Then after this i disengaged barking hard (in fact most of the time using brakes between 70-100%) cuz i needed to take another road. He then stormed by going on the original road. I then arrived to a huge rundabout and had a feeling that he might show up. 3 minutes later he blew by and the pursuit was on but this time on a 4 lane road with way less traffic and him in the front. I quickly caught up at a red light when the game started again. He nailed it, so did i. Cars were glued. And then raced through downtown and again on some secondary streets with such a variety of roads, uphill, downhill tight turns, speedy turns etc. I found out that he either was afraid to corner the car properly or he lacked the skill. I even could have passed him in the end after a 90% turn when he simply couldn't corner and i carried so much more speed through that corner but around 130ish i decided to draw back in his ass cuz the road was not that big and there were several unmarked junctions and some pedestrain crossings. Was fun to match the mighty Porsche, and guys i'm telling you the cars were glued on the straights, not talking necesarely about drags but rather in traffic racing when you accelerate havily to triple digits speeds and brake to 60-70 very quickly and on and on. On the corners i was much much quicker than him, having at times no more than 1 meter but i'm sure that was the driver's fault.

Then i settled down and went back home. Reaching the same big roundabout an afla 159 seemed to want to play. At first i didn't see the engine but i said what the hell, let's end this properly, knowing that no matter what engine he had he couldn't trash me. Again raced even longer with him, but this time the guy was much better driver than the Porsche guy (or chick ). But he was power handicaped later to find he had a 2.4 JTD engine of around 200bhp (=chipped). Also in the corners i could hear his front tires squirking of pain. I could corner better than him but the boy had skills i give him that. Speeds varied to around 160km/h. That was nice but rather uncompetitive. The adrenaline part came from racing in traffic. Also glad he was extra carefull with his braking cuz i could see in the rear mirror i could outbrake him. He was spot on with the relfexez. One eye from 3-4 second in the mirror, one on the radar detector and that was it. In the end i came home happy with the runs. 1-1 with the Porsche and a smashing 1-0 with the alfa (and i need to say i was impressed with the grunt of that alfa for a 200bhp car). Also i was pleased i didn't get brake fade. Ufff i was praying for that not to happen. 100% satisfied by the brakes although i wanted in times much more bite for seriously late braking.

SO that was it. And before someone starts to lecture about how dangerous racing in traffic is, i know and i want to say that being in front like 70% of the time i could control the pace and few times did things almost to the limit. I even had times to short signal (2-3 times ). It was fun and i drove at 100% of my capabilities.

PS: When the P guy was in front i saw that he also had hard times downshifting as he didn't rev-matched at all, seeing the car diving pretty hard from the downshifts.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

PS: Sorry for my grammar/spelling mistakes...i wrote it as fast as i could...dunno why
Old 02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I need a little help. Can you break your initial post to multiple paragraphs? I'll be easier on my old and tired eyes. I want to read it.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

I can't sorry...edit button dissapeared.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='388579' date='Feb 8 2007, 01:36 AM
I need a little help. Can you break your initial post to multiple paragraphs? I'll be easier on my old and tired eyes. I want to read it.
first time ive seen your signature ... nice alloys
Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='388581
first time ive seen your signature ... nice alloys
Thanks, mate. I'm wanting the 167s now.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='388589' date='Feb 8 2007, 01:48 AM
Thanks, mate. I'm wanting the 167s now.
Nah mate , these ones are better

Bettermakeway.. i got the story, dude why dont you stop and chat with those people, arrange to
race somewhere safer without much traffic !!!? Racing when theres traffic is silly
Old 02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Easy and fun read - language skills great

Sounds like fun, and nice feeling at the end knowing how well you did.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

Edited original post:

OMG coming home from work, I ran into a silver 996 Porsche Carrera which seemed to want to play. It was around 21:30 local time, 8-9 degrees Celsius, dry and medium to somewhere heavy traffic. Also the race happened in city but i'm happy i could keep it in the limits cuz the guy seemed slightly more mental than me. grin.gif

Anyway i was ahead of him and just gave it a push (40-70) and wouldn't you know he did the same. Then quickly i hit DTC button left the DTC mode active (road was rather bumpy and only one lane knowing i will have to many times get on the tram rails), and shifted to manual mode and nailed it. He did the same and we quickly got to 120-140 punishing th brakes quite often to avoid the traffic and dodge the obstacles.

All this time he was right in my ass, but showing very very little reserves to pass. Also the conditions made it almost impossible for passing. I could even pull away slightly using the torque under heavy acceleration from all those brake-avoid-accelerate moves. THe distance covered was like 4 kms or so with 3-4 redlights.

Proud that he didn't get the chance to get in front of me since i'm sure he would have crossed the red lights. Then after this i disengaged barking hard (in fact most of the time using brakes between 70-100%) cuz i needed to take another road. He then stormed by going on the original road. I then arrived to a huge rundabout and had a feeling that he might show up. 3 minutes later he blew by and the pursuit was on but this time on a 4 lane road with way less traffic and him in the front. I quickly caught up at a red light when the game started again. He nailed it, so did i. Cars were glued. And then raced through downtown and again on some secondary streets with such a variety of roads, uphill, downhill tight turns, speedy turns etc. I found out that he either was afraid to corner the car properly or he lacked the skill. I even could have passed him in the end after a 90% turn when he simply couldn't corner and i carried so much more speed through that corner but around 130ish i decided to draw back in his ass cuz the road was not that big and there were several unmarked junctions and some pedestrain crossings. Was fun to match the mighty Porsche, and guys i'm telling you the cars were glued on the straights, not talking necesarely about drags but rather in traffic racing when you accelerate havily to triple digits speeds and brake to 60-70 very quickly and on and on. On the corners i was much much quicker than him, having at times no more than 1 meter but i'm sure that was the driver's fault.

Then i settled down and went back home. Reaching the same big roundabout an afla 159 seemed to want to play. At first i didn't see the engine but i said what the hell, let's end this properly, knowing that no matter what engine he had he couldn't trash me. Again raced even longer with him, but this time the guy was much better driver than the Porsche guy (or chick rolleyes.gif ). But he was power handicaped later to find he had a 2.4 JTD engine of around 200bhp (=chipped). Also in the corners i could hear his front tires squirking of pain. I could corner better than him but the boy had skills i give him that. Speeds varied to around 160km/h. That was nice but rather uncompetitive. The adrenaline part came from racing in traffic. Also glad he was extra carefull with his braking cuz i could see in the rear mirror i could outbrake him. He was spot on with the relfexez. One eye from 3-4 second in the mirror, one on the radar detector and that was it. In the end i came home happy with the runs. 1-1 with the Porsche and a smashing 1-0 with the alfa (and i need to say i was impressed with the grunt of that alfa for a 200bhp car). Also i was pleased i didn't get brake fade. Ufff i was praying for that not to happen. 100% satisfied by the brakes although i wanted in times much more bite for seriously late braking.

SO that was it. And before someone starts to lecture about how dangerous racing in traffic is, i know and i want to say that being in front like 70% of the time i could control the pace and few times did things almost to the limit. I even had times to short signal (2-3 times grin.gif ). It was fun and i drove at 100% of my capabilities.

PS: When the P guy was in front i saw that he also had hard times downshifting as he didn't rev-matched at all, seeing the car diving pretty hard from the downshifts.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Members

Edited original post:

OMG coming home from work, I ran into a silver 996 Porsche Carrera which seemed to want to play. It was around 21:30 local time, 8-9 degrees Celsius, dry and medium to somewhere heavy traffic. Also the race happened in city but i'm happy i could keep it in the limits cuz the guy seemed slightly more mental than me. grin.gif

Anyway i was ahead of him and just gave it a push (40-70) and wouldn't you know he did the same. Then quickly i hit DTC button left the DTC mode active (road was rather bumpy and only one lane knowing i will have to many times get on the tram rails), and shifted to manual mode and nailed it. He did the same and we quickly got to 120-140 punishing th brakes quite often to avoid the traffic and dodge the obstacles.

All this time he was right in my ass, but showing very very little reserves to pass. Also the conditions made it almost impossible for passing. I could even pull away slightly using the torque under heavy acceleration from all those brake-avoid-accelerate moves. THe distance covered was like 4 kms or so with 3-4 redlights.
I'm very glad that he didn't get the chance to get in front of me since i'm sure he would have crossed the red lights. Then after this i disengaged barking hard (in fact most of the time using brakes between 70-100%) cuz i needed to take another road for my way home.

I then left him and he then stormed by going on the original road. Later on I arrived to a huge rundabout (which is relative close to my home, only 2 km) and had a feeling that he might show up. 3 minutes later he blew by and the pursuit was on but this time on a 4 lane road with way less traffic and him in the front.
I quickly caught up at a red light when the game started again. He nailed it, so did i. Cars were glued. And then raced through downtown and again on some secondary streets with such a variety of roads, uphill, downhill tight turns, speedy turns etc.

I found out that he either was afraid to corner the car properly or he lacked the skill. I even could have passed him in the end after a 90 degree turn when he simply couldn't or wouldn't corner properly and i carried so much more speed through that corner but around 130ish i decided to draw back in his ass cuz the road was not that big and there were several unmarked junctions and some pedestrain crossings.

Was fun to match the mighty Porsche, and guys i'm telling you the cars were glued on the straights, not talking necesarely about drags but rather in traffic racing when you accelerate havily to triple digits speeds and brake to 60-70 very quickly and on and on. On the corners i was much much quicker than him, having at times no more than 1 meter but i'm sure that was the driver's fault.

Then i settled down and went back home...or at least i thought that way

Reaching the same big roundabout an afla 159 seemed to want to play. At first i didn't see the engine badge but i said 'what the hell, let's end this properly' knowing that no matter what engine he had he couldn't trash me. Again raced even longer with him, but this time the guy was much better driver than the Porsche guy (or chick rolleyes.gif ). But he was power handicaped later to find he had a 2.4 JTD engine of around 200bhp (=chipped).

Also in the corners i could hear his front tires squirking of pain. I could corner better than him but the boy had skills i give him that. Speeds varied to around 160km/h. That was nice but rather uncompetitive. The adrenaline part came from racing in traffic. Also glad he was extra carefull with his braking cuz i could see in the rear mirror i could outbrake him. He was spot on with the relfexez.

For me it was a constant one eye for 3-4 seconds in the mirror, one on the radar detector and that was it. In the end i came home happy with the runs.

Final results: 1-1 with the Porsche and a smashing 1-0 with the alfa (and i need to say i was impressed with the grunt of that alfa for a 200bhp car). Also i was pleased i didn't get brake fade. Ufff i was praying for that not to happen. 100% satisfied by the brakes although i wanted in times much more bite for seriously late braking.

SO that was it. And before someone starts to lecture about how dangerous racing in traffic is, i know and i want to say that being in front like 70% of the time i could control the pace and few times did things almost to the limit. I even had times to short signal (2-3 times grin.gif ). It was fun and i really drove at 100% of my capabilities. I don't get that chance too often.

PS: When the P guy was in front i saw that he also had hard times downshifting as he didn't rev-match at all, seeing the car diving pretty hard from the downshifts.

Quick Reply: 30' Race...