Buyer & Seller Feedback Post feedback about buyers and sellers doing business on the forums.

Buyer Beware... member named Gyoung

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

Hey everyone,

As some of you may know, i recently underwent a CCC nav retrofit for my 04 545i....during my journey i had to ultimately buy TWO nav systems before finally getting everything fully installed and coded properly.

the first Nav unit i purchased was from forum member Gyoung. he assured me before and after the sale that the nav unit was fully functional. i made sure the terms of our sale hinged upon that fact in my paypal transaction. i tried for weeks w/ different people helping me, in person, remote coding, at the dealership, etc.....they all said that the nav unit must be bad....it wouldnt event send a signal to the monitor. the nav unit is dead. i even plugged it into a pre-lic E60 w/ nav already installed and it was still dead...no video signal...nothing. unresponsive to coding, cant read the ECU, etc....dead.

i reached out to Gyoung repeatedly to either replace the unit or allow me to send it back to him for a refund (i offered to pay shipping costs)....at first he said i coded it wrong or was doing something on my end incorrectly....then when i provided him w/ screen grabs showing that the unit was unresponsive period....he went totally silent. i had to cut my losses and buy another system. once i did that, the next day i had nav up and running in my car.

Gyoung has sold various parts on the forum including LCI tails and M5 clusters, hopefully my experience was unique....but for anyone looking to do business with him in the future....beware. he made off with over $500 of my hard earned cash.

i gave him ample time to reply back before creating this entry....i havent heard a peep since July 19th.

on a related note....i have a second CCC unit for sale (for parts only as its not functional) lol
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

That sucks man! You could have used that $500 towards getting your vibration, and sputtering issues fixed. Glad you got everything working now though! Thanks for sharing your experience, keep us posted!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM
Members

I underwent a similar situation, but paypal protected me as a buyer, and they refunded me my money. Have you tried opening up a case with paypal?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

@ spykes I havent tried going the paypal route....thought never even crossed my mind. but i am definitely going to check into it now...

@ pradden i have been waiting to get my dash/interior all put back together and fully functional before taking my car in for service to figure out that sputtering issue. i figured if i took it half torn up the dealer would cry foul and want to replace/diagnose a ton of unrelated stuff. hopefully after this coding i plan on doing tonight i will be ready to go. I love this CIC i just installed last night...its so beautiful! just gotta program my logic7 codes to get everything running right...

wish me luck on both fronts! thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 2009 535i - Stock...For Now 1989 Chevrolet Truck - Too Many Mods to List

That's awful man. I don't understand how some people can do that and still feel good about themselves. I was going to suggest the Paypal thing that Spykes mentioned. Couldn't hurt if you haven't already tried.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Well, that really sux! I will clearly keep this guys name in mind so that I NEVER do business with him. What a fool! I bet he will be changing his handle after your post. I would also do as recommended file a paypal complaint as goods not as advertised. then escalate the complaint and paypal should grab the funds immedietly from his account until it's all sorted out.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Had a similar thing happen to me about a year ago. I bought a used CCC off a guy on craig's list for $450 - didn't test it and got home only to find out it wouldn't boot pas the BMW screen. You have to be super careful buying these things I suppose because a lot are sourced from the back-end of service departments. Luckily a week later another person put up an ad for a brand new CCC and I was up and running.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Thats good to know, i will keep an eye out for Gyoung and avoid business with him. As far as paypal i am not sure but i think you have to file a claim within a certain amount of time. Nonetheless its still worth it to try. I myself have had nothing but bad luck/experiences with paypal. Im just about ready to write them off altogether. They locked my account and when i called in to ask why, the told me that someone else used some of my personal information thus "linking" our accounts and mine was locked until they could resolve the issue. I was outraged when they told me it would be locked for 60 days. I would think a simple IP trace would clear things up but we'll see.

Also is there an option to report members like Gyoung to moderators here, i figure at the least they can review his posts/activity and see if there are others who experienced this situation.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Sorry to hear what happened Chris, glad everything works out at the end. Your car is looking completely different now than before when you had the 19" rims on. Can't wait for you to post more new mods to give me more ideas to tinker with.

On other note, guys, I understand what most of you are talking about but may be in the seller's mind, he truly believes his product was working prior to selling it or at least before he removed it and not realizing may be he had some how fried the circuit board. Anyway, I hope it was a misunderstanding and that Paypal will help resolve the situation. It seems like Paypal usually sides with the buyer than the seller more times nowadays.

GL
Old 08-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Members

How much did you pay for the new one navigation with all ?

Quick Reply: Buyer Beware... member named Gyoung