Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

YES! They upgraded my TCU and now I have bluetooth!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've been a member for a couple of years, and back when we all Thought we ALL had bluetooth, it turns out my car was made a week or so before they started putting in the bluetooth capable TCU's... Bummed out (well pissed off AND Really bummed out), I bought a fellow members CPT 9000, and have just been forwarding my TREO 650 to the CPT 9000 when I get in the car. Not my dream, but what the heck it worked.

My car has been in the shop since last week, and I got it back Monday, but No CPT 9000 showing up in menu, no SAT and no AUX port, so I just left the car and kept the 3 series loaner (that paired my Treo with NO Problems)...

I got my car back today, and what do I find???? My car now has bluetooth. It paired to my treo 650, downloaded the address book, accepts calls, makes calls BUT NO ONE can hear me. The Voice commands all respond to my voice, but the phone acts as if it's muted. Anyone have any ideas? I see other comments about being muted.

ALSO, they left the CPT 9000 cradle and phone in the car. I couldn't get it to pair until the CPT 9000 was removed from the cradle. I wonder if the whole cradle system being plugged in might be causing this...

ORRRR is this a software issue related to the threads about the latest software update not working with Bluetooth (I didn't really pay attention to that since I didn't have the upgrade OR bluetooth when everyone was chatting about it).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributors

I just removed the CPT 9000 cradle and plugged in the way it was before I installed the CPT 9000. Didn't seem to work though.

I'll try pairing my wife's razr to it...

james
Old 03-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' post='258631' date='Mar 22 2006, 03:31 PM
I just removed the CPT 9000 cradle and plugged in the way it was before I installed the CPT 9000. Didn't seem to work though.

I'll try pairing my wife's razr to it...

james

James, I just picked up my car from dealer. They were able to fix my problem by re-wiring the mics. Apparently they became loose. They originally thought the problem was the TCU and they replaced it but that did not solve the problem.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by jksanford' post='258582' date='Mar 22 2006, 03:06 PM
I got my car back today, and what do I find???? My car now has bluetooth. It paired to my treo 650, downloaded the address book, accepts calls, makes calls BUT NO ONE can hear me. The Voice commands all respond to my voice, but the phone acts as if it's muted. Anyone have any ideas? I see other comments about being muted.
You must have the original version of the TCU. My car did exacty the same thing until I replaced the TCU with the updated version. I recall reading the posts 16 months ago when I upgrade the TCU and enabled BT.

WHen they updated your software, they must have enabled BT in the CIP upgrade. The BT setting is typically set to off from the fctory on the early (pre Mid March 04) builds. Subsequent CIP upgrades would not enable the BT unless you physically selected the activate BT feature.

I'm surprised to hear the the CPT 9000 still works as the choices during the update are either CPT 9000 or BT.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 AM
Contributors

No, the cpt9000 doesn't work, they just never uninstalled it. I took it out and uninstalled the cradle. It' off to the dealership in around an hour. I'll post what (if) they figure it out.

james
Old 03-30-2006, 04:54 AM
JDN
Contributors

Thanks for keeping us posted, James. Mine goes in next week. TCU is not working. Don't use the car phone system, but might if they upgrade to bluetooth.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by JDN' post='262443' date='Mar 30 2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted, James. Mine goes in next week. TCU is not working. Don't use the car phone system, but might if they upgrade to bluetooth.
If they replace the TCU for whatever reason, you will most likely get the updated part. The car will have to be encoded for the new TCU with a CIP update. Be sure to ask them to activate BT during the software update as it may not be automatic if you did not have BT active in your car previously.

The updating process will update only the modules in your car requiring updating not the entire car unless they specifically choose the full update option in the programming screen. I have watched them work on my car and the tech has a number of options available to him/her during the process. The full update takes much longer and is not often performed, or so I am told.

If they are updating the software anyway, it should not cost you a thing to have BT activated.

Good luck to both of you. Let us kow the outcome!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jksanford' post='262394' date='Mar 30 2006, 04:43 AM
No, the cpt9000 doesn't work, they just never uninstalled it. I took it out and uninstalled the cradle. It' off to the dealership in around an hour. I'll post what (if) they figure it out.

james

James, any update on this? Was the dealer able to solve your problem? Unfortunately for me, a couple days after they "fixed" my mic the same problem happened again. No one could hear me. Needless to say this has been very frustrating.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My car is going through the same process right now. I don't have all the details yet but Friday BT paired but nobody could hear the tech when he placed calls. (I wonder if he tried removing the CPT9000 from the cradle since I left it in when I dropped off the car.)

A new TCU was installed today but now I'm hearing that when a call is placed, it immediately hangs up. I'm sure sooner or later they'll sort it out -- I've had nothing but great experiences with my dealer and the tech that always works on my car is very, very up to speed on E60 issues and a pleasure to work with and talk to.

I guess for now I'll keep playing around in the E90 325Xi loaner they gave me. It's funny because in the loaner, I'm using BT with my Treo and my Nokia 6230, I'm playing an MP3 disc in the dashboard slot of the business radio, and I'm able to connect my MP3 player to the AUX input. Everything seems to work just fine on the E90...
Old 04-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Contributors

Hi All,

Just a quick update. They apparently replaced the computer, not the TCU. Sooo, they informed me that to get it working I'd have to pay $2k for a new TCU. I just had them put the cpt9000 back in.

The shop manager was very nice, and tried for several days to get this to work. I wish there was a way to replace the tcu under warrenty, but I'm ok with keeping the cpt9000 for awhile.

James

Quick Reply: YES! They upgraded my TCU and now I have bluetooth!