Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Why Do I Sound Really Quiet?

Old 03-31-2006, 03:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever I use the BT kit in my 5 series - everyone says I sound really quiet.... how can I turn it up or where is the mic in the car?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by teaboy' post='262934' date='Mar 31 2006, 01:26 PM
Whenever I use the BT kit in my 5 series - everyone says I sound really quiet.... how can I turn it up or where is the mic in the car?
I have the same problem - the mic is sited up on the ceiling by the interior light switches. I find that it's directional qualities are very poor and unless I stretch toward it and speak very loudly people can't here me.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone has a solution to this.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

There is a difference between "quiet" and "chopped" I purposely called my home answering machine first to hear how the conversation sounded. I talked to the left, to the right and even opened the sunroof. The bottom line is that this system has very sophisticated noise suppression, and that is what is being termed"quiet" by your respondents. However, you will note that you are NOT being clipped and chopped by cheap noise suppression software that we have all come to be accustomed to, where the first or last sylables are chopped off.

So, speak more directly toward the overhead console and tell them to listen carefully; but at least they have to "fill in the blanks" as is usually the case.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 04-02-2006, 09:24 PM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='262953' date='Mar 31 2006, 05:17 AM
I have the same problem - the mic is sited up on the ceiling by the interior light switches. I find that it's directional qualities are very poor and unless I stretch toward it and speak very loudly people can't here me.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone has a solution to this.

I just had the bluetooth in my car turned on, so I have ended up doing a lot of research about it. Have you tried using your volume control knob to turn up the microphone. According to a manual I read, once the stereo mutes, the volume control knob changes the bolume of the phone/mic without changing the setting of the stereo. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but it might be worth a try.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

The volume control on the steering wheel controls the volume of the incoming conversation. Are you saying that the knob controls the gain on the mic? I have never heard of that.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 525 xiA.

Originally Posted by MDT' post='263868' date='Apr 3 2006, 12:24 AM
I just had the bluetooth in my car turned on, so I have ended up doing a lot of research about it. Have you tried using your volume control knob to turn up the microphone. According to a manual I read, once the stereo mutes, the volume control knob changes the bolume of the phone/mic without changing the setting of the stereo. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but it might be worth a try.
I have been thinking the same if turning this knob would help people hearing me. Never made any testcalls though, let us know if somebody has checked that. Volume for the incoming voice changes for sure.

Hartsa
Old 04-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

I don't know the answer, but last week I took my 5 in for service and told the Service Rep, I have the same problem, no matter who I call they say they can barely hear me while I'l screaming into the mic. Echos also and they can hear themselves also(feedback)

Service tech examined the BT and the TCU and said I need an updated MIC, they just called me today and I made an appointment for next Tuesday. I will get back on this thread and give you a answer when the new mic is installed.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I remember getting an updated mic a while ago with my CPT9000. I assume the mic is the same for BT equipped cars (I was able to switch to BT without changing mics.)

The updated mic was supposed to address an echo problem (and quite possibly a volume problem too.)
Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Contributors

weird..but manny people can not notice when i am oh my phone or my car BT. They said it sounds very loud/clear.

that is for you bmw tech on BT.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='273699' date='Apr 24 2006, 09:57 PM
weird..but manny people can not notice when i am oh my phone or my car BT. They said it sounds very loud/clear.

that is for you bmw tech on BT.
Your car is newer so it most likely has the updated microphone already installed. I'm not sure what year teaboy's car is...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why Do I Sound Really Quiet?