Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

What Car UK Magazine & Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005 | 12:26 AM
Members

2 questions in one here, this months what car has a 535d sport in it in red. Looks to be a brighter red than imola red but is not listed as being available in any brochure or on the BMW website, does anyone have any ideas??

2ndly why is it that if its only a software upgrade which appears to be free in North America do BMW UK think its reasonable to charge ?500+ for Blutooth enablement. Has anyone had any luck challenging them on this as I am going to be making an order now within the next 2 weeks but as its a co vehicle I may not have much scope for pressurising them

Thanks

scott
Old 02-27-2005 | 01:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by ScottC25' date='Feb 27 2005, 04:26 AM
2 questions in one here, this months what car has a 535d sport in it in red. Looks to be a brighter red than imola red but is not listed as being available in any brochure or on the BMW website, does anyone have any ideas??

2ndly why is it that if its only a software upgrade which appears to be free in North America do BMW UK think its reasonable to charge ?500+ for Blutooth enablement. Has anyone had any luck challenging them on this as I am going to be making an order now within the next 2 weeks but as its a co vehicle I may not have much scope for pressurising them

Thanks

scott
[snapback]94855[/snapback]
Don't know about the red - Is that April WhatCar?

From all that I have read, it seems that the hardware is installed in the US, but not activated. In the UK (and Europe), when you order bluetooth, they actually install more hardware - I could be wrong, but that's what I understand.
Old 02-27-2005 | 05:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Thanks

scott
Yes I noticed theres no red option, I take BMW will launch it as an option just after I get mine, its usually the case. With regard to BT I would be amazed if BMW didn't charge for this option albeit only software.
Old 02-27-2005 | 07:26 AM
Senior Members

i dont think the kit is installed in the uk car as standard, i am sure there in no microphone in the car to start of with
Old 02-27-2005 | 07:37 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by New535' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:10 AM
[quote name='ScottC25' date='Feb 27 2005, 04:26 AM']2 questions in one here, this months what car has a 535d sport in it in red. Looks to be a brighter red than imola red but is not listed as being available in any brochure or on the BMW website, does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

scott
Don't know about the red - Is that April WhatCar?

From all that I have read, it seems that the hardware is installed in the US, but not activated. In the UK (and Europe), when you order bluetooth, they actually install more hardware - I could be wrong, but that's what I understand.
[snapback]94856[/snapback]
[/quote]

In the US (at least for MY05) BT is fully enabled. The dealer doesn't need to do anything. You just need to activate BT in iDrive and pair the phone and car.
Old 02-28-2005 | 11:24 AM
Members

What Car UK Magazine & Bluetooth-535d_large.jpg
Although I have not seen What Car I suspect it is the same car shown in BMW CAR Magazine which is Imola. I think the E60 looks fabulous in Imola and would have ordered one if available.
Old 02-28-2005 | 01:01 PM
Senior Members

Imola red is available for the Sport models through BMW Individual in the UK. You can also redr the brighter Japan red. This option adds around ?2k which is way too much for a colour you'll struggle to sell on.
Old 02-28-2005 | 01:12 PM

Thanks

scott
The US cars come with the Bluetooth capability as standard since we (unfortunately) have several different cell technology available, and it makes it simpler for BMW to offer a device which provides for a "universal" fit.