Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

What is the Best Cell Phone Network Technology?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 07:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wnrussell, wonderful job !
Old 11-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i step, nav, sport, 166 wheels, premium sound, don't need nothin' else.

Isn't Sprint already 3G? It's also CDMA, right?
Old 11-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Coverage like anything else depends where you are located.

As for your question, for the best chances of having the least hassles with BMWs Buetooth, T-Mobile without a doubt would be your best bet. Their phones and frequencies are identical to the European ones.

As far as which company to choose. I have had Sprint, Cingular and now have most recently switched to T-Mobile 6 months ago. Part of the reason for my switch was the better phones / compatability the other is that T-Mobile has had the highest customer satisfaction in the cellular industry for over two years running.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Europe is allready moving on to UMTS.
Will take some more time, but is really great!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I have a SonyEricsson P900 and a Nokia 6310i. Both are "tri-band". 900 and 1800MHz for everywhere except US, and 1900MHz for US GSM use.

GSM is great. Got back from China yesterday, via Dubai (UAE). In both countries the phone auto connects to the local provider. So I can get phone, SMS, email (via GPRS) wherever I am.

I could even browse e60.net while waiting for my flight

3G is being introduced in Europe. But because the govts here screwed billions of pounds for license fees, it will be hugely expensive. And therefore slow to progress. I think at least half the cost of the line rental will be simply to pay for the license fees. Who needs organised crime, when the govt can do such a good job.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

Thank you wnrussell! Great writeup, and I've never seen that information before, so it was very useful. Now I wish I'd had this before I made my phone decision! I recently got the Sony Ericsson T610 with TMobile because of the Bluetooth technology-- it will work in the Range Rover, and hopefully, god willing, it will one day work in the BMW. I have to say the coverage is really poor. I can't use it in my home or in several stores that I frequent. I've noticed I rarely ever have all bars. My salesperson told me I can be on TMobile, Verizon or ATT towers without roaming. Is that true? For such an urban, populated area, I'm really surprised how bad the signal strength is everywhere. Do you think it is a function of the phone not being able to capture the signal, or do you think it is poor towers?
Old 11-07-2004, 04:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

SueBMW:

Please include your location in your profile. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:21 AM

pharding,

I am also in the Chicago area. I have used T-Mobile for years and have been very happy. I went with them because they use GSM. It is true, they may not have the nationwide coverage of some other networks, but they do have coverage in most major cities.

Also if you travel overseas, you can use your GSM phone, which I hvae found costs much less than using a lan line- even when calling back to the U.S.

Another benefit to GSM is that you can switch phones by simply pulling the SIM from on phone and installing in another GSM phone- a very simple process.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Sorry that was my most pharding.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:00 AM
Contributors

wnrussell, Impressive write up! Wow, effective as well affective communication! Thanks!

Quick Reply: What is the Best Cell Phone Network Technology?