Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Voice Prompts????

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought an 04/04 Build date tonight and I'm chompin at the bits after playing with the car all night and will be at my dealer tommorrow to get Bluetooth retrofit, after reading every post on the subject I must sy I'm happy I have an 03/04 later car, but I cannot find anywhere about the voiceprompts. When I push my button on steering wheel with the happpy little talking guy, no beep. Is this hopefully casue I do not have BT yet or is this just for cars with NAV. I do not have Nav but I read on a post it doesn't matter and once I get he new CIP will I have voice dialing and will my car start talking back to me? It's 5 am and I'm still in the garage, I know he wants to say something even if it's "OK do you want to cal a$$hole" Thanks, great site my first post and also got the skinny on an aux input with a little searchin.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use voice dialing once the phone is paired with the car via BT but that's about it. You need nav for the voice command of other functions, if I remember correctly.

Enjoy your new baby and welcome to the forums!
Old 01-05-2006, 04:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='219462' date='Jan 5 2006, 05:25 AM
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to use voice dialing once the phone is paired with the car via BT but that's about it. You need nav for the voice command of other functions, if I remember correctly.

Enjoy your new baby and welcome to the forums!
Thanks for the response I think your right, hopefully it works with BT but I kind of doubt it as it doesn't work for the other features. Either way I'm glad I can get BT working.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

It will work with BT, although a little bit differently than with cars equipped with nav, I think...
Old 01-05-2006, 04:45 AM
Members

Thanks I hope so, this was the post that I read if you read the last sentence I hope they are right. I have two dealers here in Sacramento, CA & I hope one of them knows how to do the upgrade at a decent price it looks like anything under $300 is fair depending on whether they have done it. By the way I hope this is right but my build date is the dat eon the door sill right?

Post on this forum, that got my hopes up just the last sentence...

Voice Command- You have to remember that many people are operating their telephones while they are driving their car and fiddling with the I-Drive while driving can be very destracting. What a better way to call someone then to simply press a button on your steering wheel and have a voice ask you, WHOM WOULD YOU LIKE TO CALL, and then you simply say " Call JStraw" and presto, your call is connected. Most Cell phone's today have the voice dial function, however you have to first set up contacts in the voice dial program of your cell phone, this is over and above just entering a contact into your telephone directory. The same thing has to happen with your car's voice dial system. Even though you have the contact's info in your phone book, you still must seperately set up your voice dial contacts as this part of the systems works on voice recongnition. it only has to be done once and then the names that are preprogrammed can take advantage of voice dialing instead of having to find the name from the I-drive contacts list.

[b]Hope this clarifies things and you can now see the reason for these two options. By the way voice dialing is in all e60's regardless if you have nav or not, but you must have bluetooth.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:00 AM
Members

Thanks again for the reply in all the searching it looks like some people got the CIP upgrade free for an emissions recall or other stuff, I wonder if anyone could help me save some $$ with a reason. Otherwise I guess what's a couple hundred when I just plunked down 42 grand on a used car.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport Touring, Titanium Silver, HiFi Loudspeaker system, Heated Front Seats, Tracker Retrieve, Media Package, Black Dakota Leather & Steptronic Transmission

Hi there, I've got an 2005 model 530 with Sat Nav and Bluetooth but still cannot get the voice recognition to work. The button is there but pressing or holding it does nothing. I suspect that the voice commands is an extra option that was not ordered on my used car. My Nokia 6320 works fine with the car. Not sure if that helps you or not.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I think I'm right about this :-

Outside Europe cars with BT come with basic voice commands for the phone. Cars in Europe do not. However you can specify 'extended' voice control in all markets which allows voice control over most i-Drive functions.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Members

Thanks for you replies, yeah pushing my voice prompts does nothing I would be interested in anyone who got a US built car that did have voice prompts working after adding newer CIp and BT.

Another question and thanks for the replies I posted on another thread also but my experience at dealer today was....

Quick question for you guys just bought my 530 yesterday and after searches last night went in knowing what to ask/do for BT. Anyway found a tech that knows how to do it, the shops master I guess but the problem and converstion went as follows he said it's no problem but half the time the CIP ugrade crashes and a new TCU would be needed if it did crash. He said this would be my responsibility if this happened, and not covered under warranty. I asked if there might be a recall upgrade that would be needed anyway so they would have to do it and could just anable BT and if somerhitn went wrong and the TCU would need replacing it would not be my fault. He said sure but had service do a VIN search and no recalls. What should I do???
Old 01-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MikeB' post='219732' date='Jan 5 2006, 07:10 PM
Quick question for you guys just bought my 530 yesterday and after searches last night went in knowing what to ask/do for BT. Anyway found a tech that knows how to do it, the shops master I guess but the problem and converstion went as follows he said it's no problem but half the time the CIP ugrade crashes and a new TCU would be needed if it did crash. He said this would be my responsibility if this happened, and not covered under warranty. I asked if there might be a recall upgrade that would be needed anyway so they would have to do it and could just anable BT and if somerhitn went wrong and the TCU would need replacing it would not be my fault. He said sure but had service do a VIN search and no recalls. What should I do???
Take a look at the following post and see if you can find a bug that your car has that's been fixed by a CIP update.

Complain to the dealer about the problem and they'll be forced to upgrade your CIP under warranty. From there, see if they'll enable BT while they're doing the upgrade....

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=20118

Quick Reply: Voice Prompts????