Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Verizon Razr Phone

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530I, born February 05, orient blue, gray leather, premium package, sport package, poplar grain wood trim, 6-speed steptronic, xenon adaptive, red rear reflectors, bluetooth Razr V3C, staggered 19" style 128 wheel/Michelins

I hear Verizon is going to start selling the Motorola Razr soon. Will it pair with the E60?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by parsfdon' post='205796' date='Dec 1 2005, 01:45 PM
I hear Verizon is going to start selling the Motorola Razr soon. Will it pair with the E60?
My Motorola V3 (T-mobile) pairs just fine.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

It's not the carrier that affects the BT pairing, it's the manufacturer. Good thing is thta BMW BT dvices are made by Motorola, thus most Moto units will not have BT pairing issues...
Old 12-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Good question. Verizon cripples their BT, so time will tell.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Didn't know BT was disabled by Verizon... :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: , I gues that is the question isn't it. I'm sure there are forurms out that can help unlock the BT function.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Breae60' post='206235' date='Dec 2 2005, 11:40 AM
Didn't know BT was disabled by Verizon... :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: , I gues that is the question isn't it. I'm sure there are forurms out that can help unlock the BT function.
BT was crippled by Verizon, not disabled. They crippled it so you couldn't take a pic with the phone and transfer it to your PC over BT, for example--so you have to send it over their network (and pay their fees). There's a class action suit over this. So I'm not saying it won't work with BMW's BT stack, I just don't know.

This is a good phone forum:
http://www.howardforums.com/index.php?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:28 PM
Members

My Ride: '08 550i, carbon black, sport package

Verizon disables OBEX functions on all of it's bluetooth phones. There is no reason why the bluetooth function would not work in the e60.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i (build date 04/05) silver grey metallic/black leather/anthracite maple/6 speed Steptronic/sport package/cold weather package/premium sound package/active cruise control/navigation system/HUD/Sirius satellite radio/comfort seats/rear electric sunshade/rear airbags/rear seat heat/fold down rear seats

I recently received mail on the Verizon class action suit. It seems it centers on the issue of failed disclosure of the bluetooth limitations. it offered remedies such as getting out of the contract, offering plan upgrades, etc. I think. It did not say that Verizon was going to modify their policy, so I assume the disabled portions will remain.

My Moto V710 pairs perfectly, transfers the phone book instantly and allows voice command dialing. I don't understand why some of the BT phones will work and not others. It does sound like the motorola phones are generally more compatible.

I still wish it was not such a narrow range though. Verizon offers such a limited range of more sophisticated phones to begin with. Then when you add the BMW restriction hardly anything of interest is left. I do not like the V 710 phone at all, but bought it because i liked my E60 better! Also switched to Verizon from Cingular in the (east) bay area because the service was so much better. My phone said "emergency calls only" for two straight years in the Hayward area on Cingular. Pretty ridiculous when you are a physician and cannot ever answer your pages or get a dial tone.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

Originally Posted by stream' post='206288
BT was crippled by Verizon, not disabled. They crippled it so you couldn't take a pic with the phone and transfer it to your PC over BT, for example--so you have to send it over their network (and pay their fees). There's a class action suit over this. So I'm not saying it won't work with BMW's BT stack, I just don't know.

This is a good phone forum:
http://www.howardforums.com/index.php?
[/quote]

To overcome such a block, you could Flash the RAZR with new software. One of the good things about Motorola's like the RAZR & V5XX/6XX is that it's possible to download Service Software freely from the 'Net which enables you to do this. You can Flash with a new Motorola 'stock' firmware version, and also benefit from any bug fixes or slight improvements in the latest versions. It should be noted that this doesn't cause any Network compatibility options, as the phone is simply returned to the way it was 'meant to be'.
Operators like Verizon, T-Mobile, often have customised firmware loaded onto their phones by Motorola which may exclude certain feature's or have some Menu options missing. These also don't tend to get updated over time, meaning if you buy a 'new' phone from them, you get an 'old' software version on it.

Some V710 owners in the U.S solved their BT issues by upgrading to new Firmware, for example.

Of course this isn't for everyone - as you can also end up with an expensive new Paperweight ...

If you can find a good local phone shop, maybe a Motorola Service Centre, then it may be possible to convince them to upgrade the software for you. But this is probably rather like trying to get a CIP upgrade from a BMW dealer for an E60 - a bit hit and miss .

Howardforums.com is indeed a good site for more info, and one of the main sites involved in the 'Moto Modding' scene...
Old 12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 545i, titanium gray, gray interior with poplar trim, sport package, cold weather package, premium sound

Originally Posted by parsfdon' post='205796' date='Dec 1 2005, 04:45 PM

I just got my Verizon razr 2 days ago and got it working perfectly with my 545 with about 25 minutes of tinkering. I didn't even read the instruction manual. It works perfectly, and even imported my contact list. Verizon does disable some bluetooth features as other posters have said, but the phone has the ability to communicate with your car or a bluetooth headset (which is really all I would want to do anyway). And, by the way, I can highly recommend the phone. A tremendous upgrade from my LG VX6000.

Quick Reply: Verizon Razr Phone