Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

For those with an iphone snap-in

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 05:04 AM
Members

I had an idea that if the antenna connector isn't physical maybe the snap-in could be used with other similar sized smartphones to use the external aerial. Does anyone know for sure how the iphone snap-in exactly hooks to the iphone?
Old 05-29-2008 | 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

There have been various snap-ins made over the years that don't physically connect to the phone - the first one I remember was the Moto V3. It uses a principle of inductance and yes you could use that for any phones.
Old 05-29-2008 | 05:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='590729' date='May 29 2008, 09:42 AM
There have been various snap-ins made over the years that don't physically connect to the phone - the first one I remember was the Moto V3. It uses a principle of inductance and yes you could use that for any phones.
Bruce how did you do your connection to the external aerial with the wm5 htc? I have an antenna lead on the back of my HTC titan and I'm not sure if i want to use that or modify a snap-in that uses inductance.
Old 05-29-2008 | 05:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

I have the ability to use both on my HTC. I made a custom lead from the cradle socket to the phone socket and also connected this to an inductance plate too. But I'm not able to make a neat looking automatic locking phone socket connection like you find in the OEM cradles so have to manually connect the plug in. Most of the time I don't bother to be honest because the inductance plate that I have works fine.
Old 05-29-2008 | 06:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='590740' date='May 29 2008, 09:59 AM
I have the ability to use both on my HTC. I made a custom lead from the cradle socket to the phone socket and also connected this to an inductance plate too. But I'm not able to make a neat looking automatic locking phone socket connection like you find in the OEM cradles so have to manually connect the plug in. Most of the time I don't bother to be honest because the inductance plate that I have works fine.
I didn't see the way that you chose to hook in the aerial in your DIY MP5 post. I may do the same method you did for my titan. If you knew any part numbers for the inductance plate etc off the top of your head or if you have any further photos would help me alot. Specifically I am interested how you took the FACRA connector in the console and what you hooked to that to get to the phone. Also a little hazy on having the plate in combination with an antenna lead.

Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2008 | 06:39 AM
Contributors

I actually used an older cradle to get the lead that is used to connect the OEM socket to a thin coaxial cable. Just solder the coaxial cable lead to a small metal plate and that becomes your induction plate - just don't short the coxial cable. Connec the coaxial cable also to your phone socket plug and so then you have both done.
Old 05-29-2008 | 06:44 AM
Contributors

If you want the neatest solution get hold of a V3 cradle - they are old enough now to be available cheap. Then rip it apart and just use the cable with the induction plate from it.
Old 05-30-2008 | 08:47 PM
Members

Got an iphone snap in on order since the iphone is almost exactly the same size as this phone.

Hope it works out! If not I'll break out the soldering iron.
Old 06-07-2008 | 12:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

Originally Posted by knowlk2' post='592053' date='May 30 2008, 11:47 PM
Got an iphone snap in on order since the iphone is almost exactly the same size as this phone.

Hope it works out! If not I'll break out the soldering iron.

i can see the Gen2 iphone having a different setup though. Kinda like how several ipod accessories don't work with the iphone.