Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

SOS Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I installed the AUX cable myself yesterday, and after plugging and putting everything back, I started to get the SOS call malfunction error. I called Kris from Modmynav, who has been superbly helpful, and he told me to check the green and black cable connecting to the radio/cd player to make sure that it's plugged in all the way. I double and triple checked, everything is plugged in correctly. Still no go.

A big pain in the butt as this error also takes my bluetooth offline, and I can't connect my phone to the car anymore.

I took the car to Solelybimmer to get the AUX programming done today, and Chad and company was super nice and helpful. The AUX is now working fine, but they weren't able to clear the SOS error via the attached computer. I told them that I was going to take it up to Kris to take a look, and if he can figure it out, I will go back to them.

Anyway, Kris checked out all the cables, the fuses, and everything looks to be fine. We've taken the battery out for 20 minutes hoping the car would reset, but the error still returns. I saw in another thread a mention of MPM, but since mine is 2006, it's not located in the spare wheel, and I am not sure where this is.

I have seen this error once before, when I installed the HID reverse, but after I shut off the car, and turned it back on, the error has never returned.

Now, Kris looked at my cables and they all appear to look fine, so it being damaged is not really possible.

Wondering if forum members have any idea or experience regarding this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, when you do get any error, it needs to be cleared by coding...!
so it may have triped when you were fiddling behind the dash, but you have to get the error reset.

I suppose that your trying to find what caused the error as it will just keep repeating if nothing is fixed.

I have had issues with the install via a BMW Dealer..
do you have a CD Changer too. They are telling me that i can only have one or the other...?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Thing is, when I was at Soleybimmer today, when they tried to clear the code, they couldn't because the computer read that it can't communicate with the TCU. Theoretically, if it's possible to simply disable BMW Assist, I should be able to get my Bluetooth back, which is what I care about, since I don't subscribe to BMW Assist anymore.

Otherwise, my AUX install was pretty straight forward. Soleybimmer programmed it, and it's working great. And no, I don't have the CD changer. My understanding is that what your dealer told you is correct, it's AUX or CD changer.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Usually SOS malfunction triggered by breaking the MOST fiber optic loop ... for example if you have iPod interface (or CD changer) or Sirius SAT radio by un-plugging the module will trip the SOS error ... so try to re-trace the MOST fiber optic wire loop in the cabin to make sure it flows in the correct direction & nothin' loose ... there is also a special diagnostic port tucked in the glove compartment (somewhere above where the flashlight charger) where usually in use by the dealer for programming and it has a plug that may come undone during your Aux install process.

The last thing maybe the TCU went bad since it failed to communicate.

GL!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, I simply can't think of what might be breaking the loop. I don't have sat radio, or cd changer. I have checked all the cables, but everything is intact. I thought maybe somehow I had pulled the optic cable too hard and yanked it loose (somehow) all the way back to the trunk, but I looked back there, and it looks fine as well.

I even took out the AUX pins to see if going back to its "original" config it would make it go away, but to no avail. It really sucks not having bluetooth
Old 08-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Contributors

I took everything apart today, and rechecked all the cables again. Everything looks good... sigh.

For shits and giggles, I pressed the SOS Assist button, and it actually does connect. The rep said that it appears that my SOS is not working entirely correctly, as it did not transmit my coordinates over.

So... what the hell? Any one know what this is all about?

For the record, everything else is functioning perfectly, CD player, radio, and AUX.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Maybe this is just a terrible week for me, or perhaps this is related.

I just noticed during my drive out to get lunch that my front left speaker (next to side mirrors) don't work! Wtf?!? Not sure if this is somehow related or that I might have loosened something, but damnit!

Might be a coincidence, and I am really not sure if my front left has always been out, or that I have only noticed it right now. GAH!
Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

OP, what happened eventually?
I tried installing some stuff that caused a SOS error prompt, so I am in your shoes now.

For me, bluetooth and USB (ipod) connection, both went off.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Contributors

Still haven't fixed it yet, going to replace my TCU, probably in the next two weeks.