Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Sony Ericsson P900 & BMW E60

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear All,

I have had my E60 since January now (530D, UK) and have the factory Bluettoh kit. This has been working perfectly with my Sony-Ericsson T610I phone.

However - I have just upgraded to a Sony-Ericsson P900 smartphone, and am having problems with the Bluetooth. I'm wordering if any of you out there have seen/foxed similar problems.

1) If I make a call from the phone handhelf, it is fine. The call sets up OK and then cuts over to the car stereo.

2) If I try and dial a number from iDrive, it appears not to be able to see the phone and just craps out.

3) My phonebook is not synced with iDrive anymore - the phonebook has not repopulated itself from the phone.

Anyone got any idea why this is happening ?
Old 06-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Hi, according to this link

http://www.mdload.com/bluetooth/

The P900 is only partly compatible with the BMW Bluetooth system.

Hopefully they will address this with a software fix in the future.

eggz
Old 06-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

We have heard rumors of firmware upgrades to aleviate the P900 handsfree BT profile issues. I've NOT yet seen a confirmed firmware upgrade.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Contributors

I have a P900 phone with a 545 , and it will not work. This is because the P900 is using the Symbian software and BMW does not work (yet ? ) with it. Also I believe that SE does not have a handsfree profile on the SE900
Old 06-22-2004, 01:05 AM
Members

When I bought my car in November, the dealer showed me an internal BMW memo that stated precisely which phones were fully supported, partially supported and which phones definately would not work. At the time, I had the previous model of smartphone, the P800 which, like the P900, is Symbian-powered. Sadly, it featured in the "does not work at all" list which matched my experience with the phone & car in practice. I therefore "downgraded" to a T610 which works about 90% of the time. I don't know whether the situation has improved with the T900 but it might be worth a trip back to the dealer to look at the latest BMW memo on the subject.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Symbian licensees have full control over what they can add to the OS. I had at one time source to Symbian OS's (for my company) and adding handsfree profile properly to the BT stack is one man month of work for one person... HENCE, it is NOT a huge impact adding it. I have heard the Siemens Symbian phone seems to work, but since this is in limited supply I haven't been able to try this on a co-workers car in England.

Those with the BMW BT kit, would be nice if you could post which phones you've used it with.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:47 PM
Contributors

Do downgrade but convince yourself that it is even better that way

I have a P900 and have researched the whole issue with both Sony Ericsson (I got pretty far into the company I think) and BMW (only on educated dealer level) and the net result for me is that the obvious solution that seemed at first a pain, pity and clumsy but given some thought it should be the most elegant and functional.

I got me a new 610 and ordered a twin sim card to the one I already have in the p900.
The extra cost all inclusive was less than 200? (the new 610 phone and the twin-sim-card). The benefits of this was shadowed for me by the overtly simplisticness of this solution.

Since the P900 will not fit in any cradle the charging and the use of the car antenna would not be solved now (if ever - the only "rumour" was on the software while none had heard about a cradle in the works yet) even if BMW did upgrade their bluetooth software.

So this means that the 610 (with the same number) will always be in the car-cradle while the P900 will be in my pocket. (All the added aspects of the P900 usability was not for car use anyways)

The final clincher is that the syncing of the phonebook is very easy and almost transparent between the p900 and the 610 via bluetooth.

AFAIK this "solution" will actually give sort of the same functionality as would have happened if you got the BMW Professional phone option instead of the bluetooth "preparation" option

Touch wood that this will actually work when I get the car.

best
objetti