Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Snap in phone adapters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went into my local and crap BM dealer for the first time since i bought the car...Not a very good one (The dealer. not the car. the car is great!). One of the ones that believes that unless you pull up in a 30 grand+ car your not 'worthy' of any kind of attention. To prove this point i took my X Reg polo up there with dad to look at the 5 series before i bought. not a single person approached us. Bear in mind we were hanging around the new 5 series and also an alpina 3 series. We even asked some questions and they basically answered and then left without even qualifying us. Even if they didnt think i could be serious (which lets face it doesnt look likely as im only 21 and look younger...i was with my father...who clearly does look like hes capable in theory of purchasing a such a car...)

We returned a few days later driving in Dads 911 and within 10 seconds someone came out and started faffing about and asking questions.

When i arranged for a test drive of the 5 the SA who was meant to be taking us out decided he was going for lunch and left it with someone else to deal with. he failed to pass on any details whatsoever so the car wasnt ready and took 15minutes to bring around for us. THen when we finally got into the thing...guess what....no fuel....not even enough to go round the block once or twice. After this tirade of ineptitude we went to Damon Hill BMW just outside leamington spa who are absolutely brilliant and bought the 525i thats sitting outside the house right now.

Getting back to the point of this post... i was passing the crap garage today and decided to pull in quickly and check on the price of a snap in adapter for my Nokia 6230i. I was under the impression (not sure why) that the snap in adapter was a mere 20 or 30 quid. I was quoted 59.99 thats around 100 bucks.

So my question is this : Given that i dont trust the garage as far as i could pick it up and throw it, is this the actual price of the things and also whats the cost for you guys in the good ol US of A. (I might pick one up if its substantially cheaper when im next over there).

60 quid isnt a huge amount admittedly but its still 60 quid for a piece of plastic that just interfaces some bits of metal with my phone.

Cheers for info in advance.

JJ
Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My total price for my cradle and shap-in was around $400 Canadian (but worth ever cent) ... my battery is always charged and my receiption is great ...
Old 09-01-2005, 07:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JayJay' date='Sep 1 2005, 04:16 PM
I just went into my local and crap BM dealer for the first time since i bought the car...Not a very good one (The dealer. not the car. the car is great!). One of the ones that believes that unless you pull up in a 30 grand+ car your not 'worthy' of any kind of attention. To prove this point i took my X Reg polo up there with dad to look at the 5 series before i bought. not a single person approached us. Bear in mind we were hanging around the new 5 series and also an alpina 3 series. We even asked some questions and they basically answered and then left without even qualifying us. Even if they didnt think i could be serious (which lets face it doesnt look likely as im only 21 and look younger...i was with my father...who clearly does look like hes capable in theory of purchasing a such a car...)

We returned a few days later driving in Dads 911 and within 10 seconds someone came out and started faffing about and asking questions.

When i arranged for a test drive of the 5 the SA who was meant to be taking us out decided he was going for lunch and left it with someone else to deal with. he failed to pass on any details whatsoever so the car wasnt ready and took 15minutes to bring around for us. THen when we finally got into the thing...guess what....no fuel....not even enough to go round the block once or twice. After this tirade of ineptitude we went to Damon Hill BMW just outside leamington spa who are absolutely brilliant and bought the 525i thats sitting outside the house right now.

Getting back to the point of this post... i was passing the crap garage today and decided to pull in quickly and check on the price of a snap in adapter for my Nokia 6230i. I was under the impression (not sure why) that the snap in adapter was a mere 20 or 30 quid. I was quoted 59.99 thats around 100 bucks.

So my question is this : Given that i dont trust the garage as far as i could pick it up and throw it, is this the actual price of the things and also whats the cost for you guys in the good ol US of A. (I might pick one up if its substantially cheaper when im next over there).

60 quid isnt a huge amount admittedly but its still 60 quid for a piece of plastic that just interfaces some bits of metal with my phone.

JJ
[snapback]165897[/snapback]
Thats about what I paid, its more than a charger as it uses a wireless connection to reach the external ariel to boost signal power.

Value for money? I'm not so sure.....
Old 09-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Members

My Ride: E60, 330d Steptronic, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather,

Sixty quid is about right, I bought mine from the dealer a week after buying the car, i got 10% off

BTW, I used to pass Damon Hill BMW on my way to work so bought my last BMW from them, like you say they are a brillient dealer. i moved away so got my E60 from another, where i thought Sales were Poor, but aftersales service has been good.

BTW where did you buy?

I have a spare 6310 snap in i bought from ebay, but it needs one of the clips that hold the phone in place mending, that why i bought a new one. i may work i have not tried it. yours if you want it, you will have to arrange collection, i'm in Northants
Old 09-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

Does your phone book transfer with the 6230i ? The whole phone book, or just the Sim card ?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' date='Sep 1 2005, 12:40 PM
Does your phone book transfer with the 6230i ? The whole phone book, or just the Sim card ?
[snapback]165924[/snapback]
I'm 99% sure that only the SIM card transfers with the 6230. As a matter of fact, I think that all Nokia phones work that way...
Old 09-01-2005, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Skip' date='Sep 1 2005, 11:43 AM
[quote name='JayJay' date='Sep 1 2005, 04:16 PM']I just went into my local and crap BM dealer for the first time since i bought the car...Not a very good one (The dealer. not the car. the car is great!). One of the ones that believes that unless you pull up in a 30 grand+ car your not 'worthy' of any kind of attention. To prove this point i took my X Reg polo up there with dad to look at the 5 series before i bought. not a single person approached us. Bear in mind we were hanging around the new 5 series and also an alpina 3 series. We even asked some questions and they basically answered and then left without even qualifying us. Even if they didnt think i could be serious (which lets face it doesnt look likely as im only 21 and look younger...i was with my father...who clearly does look like hes capable in theory of purchasing a such a car...)

JJ
[snapback]165897[/snapback]
Thats about what I paid, its more than a charger as it uses a wireless connection to reach the external ariel to boost signal power.

Value for money? I'm not so sure.....
[snapback]165907[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not sure what u r referring to when u say "it" uses a wireless connection to reach...

In general the cradles are designed to give you a "physical" connection via cable to the shark fin antenna. Phone plugs into a antenna and power connector within the cradle. However, it could be that the 6230i cradle is unique amoung all these devices and does not do this. I would hope that is not the case, however.

The going price for cradle itself in US is approximately $100 depending on any discounts you might get via BMWCCA or purchased through one of the larger BMW houses like Pacific or Circle BMW. It's not the only cost as there may be other parts - eject box, hardware and install, but cradle by itself seems your dealer quote is on the mark.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

See the following explanation to understand what the 6230 cradle does to interface with the shark fin antenna...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=151744
Old 09-01-2005, 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 1 2005, 01:56 PM
See the following explanation to understand what the 6230 cradle does to interface with the shark fin antenna...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...ndpost&p=151744
[snapback]165941[/snapback]
Rudy, you have the patience of Job to do the Searching for these folks. I try to do it from memory, but it is like a fast fading filter any more. That thred has all the pertinent info - good refresher for me too
Old 09-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Sep 1 2005, 02:53 PM
Rudy, you have the patience of Job to do the Searching for these folks.
[snapback]165978[/snapback]
There are times when I have the time to do it, and there are times that I let it go to see if someone else can come up with a link.

(The last few days, I've been on vacation and have a bunch of time on my hands...)

Quick Reply: Snap in phone adapters