Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Problems connecting Androind devices

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sound right to me in theory how ever I think about my situation.... My phone is bt 3.0 my car is an 04 so I'm guessing that's bt 1.0. Even though I am able to make calls and hear people my contacts refuse to sync. I'm convinced it has to be because of older tech in my car. And also I've read of situations where people have gotten there ccc updated and had the same phone and the problem was solved. Also I've read people have had more success with older phones with bt 2.0.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
New Members

no, I haven't a built in bt in my car.

the easier question is:
can I pair that 2 phones (I've written you before about), anywhere in the open air with one of these devices?
which one do you reccommend, taking in account my 2 phones specifications?

I know one of the biggest difference between bt. 1.0 and bt 2.0 and newer is the fact you don't have to insert a pin code for pair.
perhaps that explain why you can't pair the phone with bt 1.0 built in your car. you need to insert a pin code to pair.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by spediegunz
I also forgot to add something else i noticed, inadvertently I stumbled onto something that I think may be the key to solving this contacts thing. Sorry in advance but its kinda long to explain.

So I was trying to code something onto my car using ncs expert and accidentally reset all my coding settings back to default. my car didn't originally come with bt so in doing so i removed the ability to enable bt. when i realized what happened i went back to code everything back on to the car. afterwards I went to pair up the phone with the car and every time I would get as far as putting the 0000 password in both my phone and car but it would never pair up. I noticed in the bluetooth settings area of my phone it would show bmw63823 or whatever and when i click on it it would say paired but not connected. the key thing I noticed was that the icon in the scan for devices screen next to bmw63823 was a picture of a cell phone..... at the time it looked strange to me but nothing clicked in my head. Any way I wasn't able to pair my phone with the car anymore because of my coding blunders it just kept getting stuck at the verifying passkey screen and then failing to pair. after some council from simon, I went back into ncs and examined all parameters and modules having to do with activating bt. When I went into the tcum module there was a parameter called portable bluetooth and it was set to not active, I tried to set it to activ and recode the car and voila my phone paired up again....BUT I noticed this time in the bt settings of my phone where it says scan for devices it shows bmw63823 and the icon was a picture of a headset.

So whatever that parameter did was change my phone from being recognized as another cell to an earpiece. Now why didn't the car pair up when it thought it was communicating with another cell I dunno?? Can't really speculate but what I take away from it is maybe in order to transfer contacts to the address book maybe the phone has to recognize the car as a type of device that it would need to transfer contacts to and typically one wouldn't need to transfer contacts to a headset.

So my question to all of you who have gotten an android phone to properly pair up and transfer contacts... What kind of icon is next to the name of your bmw in the scan for devices screen? maybe if its not a headset that could tell us why our cars wont take the phone books?

So all of my android phones that I have used in this car from Android: Current phone Motorola Droid Razor, Motorola droid 1, Thunderbolt, Droid X, and a black berry curve, and a verizon flip phone. All of which show a blue tooth head phone set as a icon. All phones worked perfect voice dialing, phone book dialing, auto connect when the car is started, so I am not sure why you are having this issue, but I am glad to help in anyway and my blue tooth was added at the dealership.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

thanks for your help and testing man. I plan on getting iphone 5 which will undoubtably have new bt tech. So for now I won't spend any money towards getting this fixed maybe the iphone 5 will sync numbers better than android since it is a known issue that android and bmw don't play nice together. If when I get it and i still doesn't work then I gotta weigh my options as far as updating ccc I just don't know that its worth it especially since updating doesn't guarantee it will sync contacts afterwards.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d Remapped 292BHP

it's starting to look like a software issue to me rather than hardware. My ccc was updated about a year ago.

on the iPhone front, if you've never owned one please borrow one for a week or so, I'm glad that I'm using one while waiting for my razr to get repair, saves me making a mistake of buying one, It's horrid. i'm too use to android and the freedom. that's enough I don't want to offend the fanboys

Is there any one else local with and E60 that you can test your phone with? This should help narrow it down. If your friendly with your dearler they may let you test on some of there cars.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

yeah Apple limitations are greater especially from the beginning when there is no jail break available, im switching over because I got an ios device dock in my car that feeds audio and clone video right to my idrive screen, currently I use my old 1st gen touch with it and try send it internet from my rooted phone using WiFi tether but apps like Pandora vivo slacker and slingbox barley run smoothly in that fashion. Currently even though android phones have hdmi mirroring I don't think the tech is as advance as that on iPhones yet and also there is no universal clean looking dock that will charge and fit all android phone for our car. Lastly for me I'm on sprint the last carrier to have 4g LTE :thumbsdown: I already know they have announced their first LTE phone will be an Android but I'm sure the second one will be that iPhone 5.

So you got an update. I don't know if my car ever got one over the years I know there is an easy way to check with idrive hack if you have mask but i don't know how to do it with a ccc. I'm gonna have to try a few non Android phones on my car maybe I can borrow one of my friends iphones. Unfortunately I don't know anyone personally with a BMW but i asked someone on the forum with an 04 BMW who successfully paired an iphone to try an android on there car but it didn't work.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: davidson

you have to check the bluetooth settings . because some time it happens that your bluetooth is set to invisible mode that is why it is undetectable ...
Old 05-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bellaedward
you have to check the bluetooth settings . because some time it happens that your bluetooth is set to invisible mode that is why it is undetectable ...
can you elaborate where are you checking to see if bt is on invisible mode on the car or on the phone?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Members

i have exactly the same problem as "spediegunz" member. my android phone connects, can be used to talk but no address book import or access. but it was not always like that. hopefully this will give a new spin on the problem. last year i had my Google Nexus One hooked up to my 2005 545i with navi and it connected fine and imported the address book fine, all worked great. a few months later i have taken my car to the dealer to do a complete software update to the idrive and all the modules and when i got it back, i already had a new android phone Droid Incredible 2. I proceeded to pair my new phone with the car and it paired but never loaded the address book and when people call it does not display the number. so , what does that mean? it means 2 things: 1) the software update actually made it not work anymore ( but i could not check with the same phone since i sold it and got a new one while dealer had my car) or 2) software update was ok but my new phone Droid2 does not like the bmw like my Nexus did. By the way, Nexus was the best android phone i had. To this day, i can not get this problem fixed
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zinchuk77
i have exactly the same problem as "spediegunz" member. my android phone connects, can be used to talk but no address book import or access. but it was not always like that. hopefully this will give a new spin on the problem. last year i had my Google Nexus One hooked up to my 2005 545i with navi and it connected fine and imported the address book fine, all worked great. a few months later i have taken my car to the dealer to do a complete software update to the idrive and all the modules and when i got it back, i already had a new android phone Droid Incredible 2. I proceeded to pair my new phone with the car and it paired but never loaded the address book and when people call it does not display the number. so , what does that mean? it means 2 things: 1) the software update actually made it not work anymore ( but i could not check with the same phone since i sold it and got a new one while dealer had my car) or 2) software update was ok but my new phone Droid2 does not like the bmw like my Nexus did. By the way, Nexus was the best android phone i had. To this day, i can not get this problem fixed
welcome to the club bro, my solution is apple @ this point.. that company is so popular, and has so much clout that even if the new iphone were to come out and not be compatible with our cars. BMW would have to quickly make changes on their end to fix it.

Quick Reply: Problems connecting Androind devices