Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

PLEASE!, help a lowly :) E90 buyer, first post

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings,

I am trying to figure the best way to configure my 325i.

Since the 'premium pkg' will include leather, pwr seats, auto-dimming mirrors with home link, BMW assist, and lumbar...., I am guessing it's going to be $2700-3000, maybe more. Thinking about it, while I have never had a car without pwr seats, I think I could live without them (especially I was messing around with the manual seats on X3 while I was demoing iDrive and thought they were pretty easy to use, but I digress.) The only thing I REALLY want from the prem pkg is leather (which should be about a $1475 option if it follows E60 5er leather price) and bluetooth sans the 'BMW assist' which is like a $700 option PLUS!!!! it's like a couple hundred $'s a year (checked out the 'BMW assist' website and it seems overpriced and worthless if you have navigation)... plus I am pretty sure it's only like a couple hundred $'s to add the auto-dimming mirror with home link.

So, my question is, IF I forego, both the 'prem pkg' and 'BMW assist', WILL adding a 'Phone Cradle' (V710 with firmware update) allow Bluetooth?, and more specifically will it work with the iDrive 'communications menu', i.e. Caller Name showing up, steering wheel control, sound through stereo system, phone book transfer, voice control, SMS, and my favorite feature--- calling Point Of Interest locations from the Nav Menu (however, shame on you BMW for not making that feature work as well as the feature in the Lexus/Denso/Eclipse Nav system), etc...

That's alot, but someone has got to know the answers, especially since asking some of these questions to "customer service" at BMWNA was like speaking Chinese, and the guys at my dealer who could rattle off engine, drive-train specs like nothing, were met with a similar "say what????" response.

This all may seem trivial, but for me it's like a $700 or even maybe a $2000 answer

EDIT- FORGOT- this is for a US car, if it makes difference.

Thanks in advance,
James
Old 03-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard, tron1043 !
Old 03-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Welcome tron1043 !
Old 03-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, tron1043 !
Old 03-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'll add a welcome too but I'll also add my thoughts on your question...

I don't know much about the E90 but if it's like the E60, I don't think adding a phone cradle will automatically get you bluetooth unless BT is already standard on the car. If you have the option sheet, look to see if BT is something you need to order or not. Once you get the BT option, adding the cradle will simply help you charge your phone and use the external antenna. If you don't get the cradle, you'll still be able to link the phone to the car using BT.

On the E60, many (but not all) BT phones will be controlled through iDrive and it will be integrated with nav for dialing POIs, etc.

Again, all of this is speculation based on what the E60 has but it's likely that the E90 will incorporate similar or improved technology.

Welcome to the forum!

(We all know how great this forum is -- isn't it amazing that there are now E90 owners or buyers asking us for info? Lomag, get ready for some possible expansion! )