Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Play MP3 ringtones through the car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007 | 06:03 PM
Contributors

Has anybody been able to play MP3 ringtones through the car speakers while in a Bluetooth connection? I have read where the regular MID and WAV ringers can sometimes play through the car, and other times they can not. I would like to get my caller ID tones synched to the car, including tune clips.

I am using a Verizon V3c RAZR, but any experiences would be helpful.
Old 03-20-2007 | 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I could be wrong but I've never heard of this with the E60 and any phone. Depending on the phone and how it's set, you should still be able to hear the phone ring simultaneously with the generic tone from the speakers -- unless you left the phone in your briefcase in the trunk, that is...
Old 03-20-2007 | 07:04 PM
Contributors

Rudy, I was thinking about the "MOXA Box" Programming, and the SIB that Rob was talking about in this thread:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=36537

Read from post #8 on.
Old 03-22-2007 | 06:42 AM
Members

Sorry man but thats not possible to do. It would be pretty cool though. The TCU has one ringtone. Unless someone wants to try and make their own TCU with programmable ringtones, which will never happen. :thumbsdown:
Old 04-16-2007 | 07:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Actually, I have noticed the occasional fluke when my Q's ringtone has been piped through the car stereo. Normally though, the car only plays its chime, and the phone emits its ringtone too through its own speakers. My old phone stayed silent while the car rang its chime for incoming calls.
Old 04-16-2007 | 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='414557' date='Apr 16 2007, 11:51 PM
Actually, I have noticed the occasional fluke when my Q's ringtone has been piped through the car stereo. Normally though, the car only plays its chime, and the phone emits its ringtone too through its own speakers. My old phone stayed silent while the car rang its chime for incoming calls.
What do you mean when you say your Q's ringtone has been piped through the car stereo? Are you able to have the car play the ringtone?

I realize that when paired, some phones will ring and some won't. I guess that's a function of the phone and whether or not it has a specific profile for when the car is paired or not. In my experiences, Nokia phones usually have the capability to turn off the internal ringer when the phone is connected to a car kit (via wire or BT.)
Old 04-17-2007 | 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='414571' date='Apr 17 2007, 12:34 AM
What do you mean when you say your Q's ringtone has been piped through the car stereo? Are you able to have the car play the ringtone?

I realize that when paired, some phones will ring and some won't. I guess that's a function of the phone and whether or not it has a specific profile for when the car is paired or not. In my experiences, Nokia phones usually have the capability to turn off the internal ringer when the phone is connected to a car kit (via wire or BT.)

Yes, I am saying exactly that. I have heard the phone's actual ringtone come through the car's audio system -instead of- the car's chime playing. Not with any regularity mind you, but it has happened on several occasions. As I said, I consider it to be a fluke. I can play with settings to see if it is something deterministic, but I suspect it is not.
Old 04-17-2007 | 07:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='414557' date='Apr 16 2007, 11:51 PM
The Motorola Q and the new Razr Maxx have A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)

A Bluetooth profile (mode) for streaming audio, such as from a music phone to headphones. Compared to profiles such as Headset and Handsfree, A2DP supports stereo, and is one-way instead of two-way. (Phonescoop)

That's what I was hoping we would see in the newer phones. I will be trying it with the Maxx next week.
Old 04-18-2007 | 06:19 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wnrussell' post='415014' date='Apr 17 2007, 11:55 PM
The Motorola Q and the new Razr Maxx have A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)

A Bluetooth profile (mode) for streaming audio, such as from a music phone to headphones. Compared to profiles such as Headset and Handsfree, A2DP supports stereo, and is one-way instead of two-way. (Phonescoop)

That's what I was hoping we would see in the newer phones. I will be trying it with the Maxx next week.

Yes, it was one of the first to have this profile. Sadly, it fails to negotiate this capability with the car...

I wish BMW would release the code for this... there was a joint press release BMW made with Samsung about 2 years ago stating that the 5 series would support it in conjunction with a Samsung smartphone. Never happened to the best of my knowledge.

I don't think A2DP has anything to do with this ringtone anomaly I am describing, but I have always been an advocate of increased leverage of bluetooth for hi-fi integration.

After lots of thought, I'd like to see AVRCP first. Since you're going to want to wire the player for power -anyway-, why not just wire the audio too. Let AVRCP be your control plane tie-in. Pass the control breaks from the switches and knobs on the car to the player, and pass the text/metadata from the player to the screen of the car.
Old 04-20-2007 | 05:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='415180' date='Apr 18 2007, 10:19 AM
After lots of thought, I'd like to see AVRCP first. Since you're going to want to wire the player for power -anyway-, why not just wire the audio too. Let AVRCP be your control plane tie-in. Pass the control breaks from the switches and knobs on the car to the player, and pass the text/metadata from the player to the screen of the car.
Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) is usually used in conjunction with the A2DP (stereo audio). The idea of media control functionality such play, pause, stop, next, and previous is great, but just getting the MP3 ringtone to play through the speakers is good enough for me.

Ford is really trying to do something interesting with both Ford Sync and their Bluetooth Music initiatives. In the US, they are targeting devices such as the iPod and the Zune, all of which the playlists will be accessible from the dashboard console via Bluetooth or USB.

Whatever happened to Bluetooth SMS? It seems to be forgotten about, while we are moving onto alternate tune players. SMS used to work fine when using the CPT9000. It went away with BT, around CIP 13.x.