Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Phonebook synch question

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a little trouble with the phonebook synch between my new 2010 550i and my Blackberry 8310. My car seems to download my BB's phone list every time pairing occurs, and it sometimes takes quite a long time for my phone list to transfer to my car. My BB has a security code on it, and if I forget to enter the security code before going into the car, the phonebook doesn't synch at all, even after I enter the security code. Normal phone operations are fine, even when the phonebook doesn't synch, in the sense that I can use the BB keypad to dial.

Are phonelists supposed to be stored on the car's hard drive, or are they re-synched every time the phone pairs to the car? If the phonelist is meant to be stored locally, can someone offer some advice on how I can insure that the phonelist is saved, so that I don't have to wait for the synch every time?

Thanks in advance.

-TA
Old 09-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Members

it seems as the list doesn't get "downloaded" so much as you are able to browse the contents of the phone. The car doesn't see to memorize the list.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '06 550i Sport Package

Uploads every time. No way to automatically store phone list w/ car (that I know of. ) (BTW, I like it that way. I only have ONE phone list to update-- my office computer, which automatically loads to phone, which automatically loads to car.)

Tip: Add full names to entries. Works better w/ voice dialing: "Call John Doe mobile." Most names work on first try. (A few never work.)

Congrats on new car.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I think the BB is encrypting the phonebook info, and it's not accessible until you enter the access code. I had the identical thing happen on my WinMo phone when I had full crypto on it.

If there's a way to make an exception in the phone or BES for the phonebook - in other words, making the data accessible without having the security PIN entered, that would be ideal.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

To further elaborate on what UUronL is saying, you need to go to the BlackBerry and choose "Settings", then "Options", then "Bluetooth." Once there, highlight the entry for your car (it'll likely say "BMW xxxxx") and choose "Device Properties." Find where it says "Trusted" and make sure it's set to "Yes" (the default is "No").

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1001142' date='Sep 7 2009, 06:11 PM
To further elaborate on what UUronL is saying, you need to go to the BlackBerry and choose "Settings", then "Options", then "Bluetooth." Once there, highlight the entry for your car (it'll likely say "BMW xxxxx") and choose "Device Properties." Find where it says "Trusted" and make sure it's set to "Yes" (the default is "No").

Good luck!

Actually, I re-read his original post and modified my response. I think this is an issue with how the Blackberry is permitting access to sensitive data (the phonebook) when it's on "lockdown".
Old 09-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Unless his security code is something managed at a corporate (BES) level, I don't think that's the issue. My BB is set to automatically lock after a specified time so I also have to enter an unlock code to use the handset. The car always pairs and the phonebook is available right after pairing even when the handset is locked. In addition, when the handset is locked, I can still make calls through the car...
Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1001178' date='Sep 7 2009, 07:08 PM
Unless his security code is something managed at a corporate (BES) level, I don't think that's the issue. My BB is set to automatically lock after a specified time so I also have to enter an unlock code to use the handset. The car always pairs and the phonebook is available right after pairing even when the handset is locked. In addition, when the handset is locked, I can still make calls through the car...

I'm thinking it's likely corporate BES policy then. Like I said, I had the identical issue with my WinMo handset after installing full-handset crypto. I had to add exceptions for the phonebook data in the crypto app, otherwise the phonebook wouldn't sync unless the phone had been unlocked via the passcode first.

BB has full-crypto by default as we all know.

I actually found this after a quick search which is exactly what I thought:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-bl...rry-locked.html
Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='1001335' date='Sep 7 2009, 10:49 PM
I'm thinking it's likely corporate BES policy then. Like I said, I had the identical issue with my WinMo handset after installing full-handset crypto. I had to add exceptions for the phonebook data in the crypto app, otherwise the phonebook wouldn't sync unless the phone had been unlocked via the passcode first.

BB has full-crypto by default as we all know.

I actually found this after a quick search which is exactly what I thought:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-bl...rry-locked.html
It's funny but in that thread you linked to, the OP said he wasn't on BES. I'm not too sure what's going on with our OP but here's what I do know...

On my last two BlackBerrys, neither of them on BES, the phonebook was available via iDrive even when the phone was locked. I never enabled the "allow outgoing calls while locked" feature and I'm pretty sure that the only thing you can do with my phone while it's locked is answer an incoming call (and probably call 911).

So unless there's a corporate policy getting in the way for the OP (or unless I'm completely misunderstanding things here) it may very well be something as simple as setting the phone to trust the car on future pairings...
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1001345' date='Sep 7 2009, 10:59 PM
It's funny but in that thread you linked to, the OP said he wasn't on BES. I'm not too sure what's going on with our OP but here's what I do know...

On my last two BlackBerrys, neither of them on BES, the phonebook was available via iDrive even when the phone was locked. I never enabled the "allow outgoing calls while locked" feature and I'm pretty sure that the only thing you can do with my phone while it's locked is answer an incoming call (and probably call 911).

So unless there's a corporate policy getting in the way for the OP (or unless I'm completely misunderstanding things here) it may very well be something as simple as setting the phone to trust the car on future pairings...

The thread says no BES, and it also says they disabled encryption on the phonebook, but those guys seemed pretty certain that scrolling through the phonebook would be impossible. It's clearly something tied to how the BB is securing the data to prevent "leakage". I can't explain your good luck with things, but I've found a lot of other similar posts on various forums as my search continued.

Also, are there multiple levels of "lock" on the BB? Perhaps a keypad lock that doesn't secure much, and then a device PIN that secures much deeper?

Quick Reply: Phonebook synch question